Super Heresy 2.0 (Baby Cornwall II mod.)

ClaudeJ1

Well, I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive. They only shipped the speakers last Thursday. Well, I guess others wanted time off for Christmas as well.

Guess that will give me time for the MAHL's to arrive as well.

Do you put the foam sound insulation on the front panel as well (where the speakers are mounted to)?

Also, I don't really want to f*up my rear panels, so I will be making new rears with the holes for the ports etc., as well as using an original style terminal strip for the connection. That way, there will always be the out to "return to stock" if ever desired...

On 1/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, DizRotus said:

Be gentle Claude.

The Kappalite 3012 HO is 1.3 db more sensitive than the Delta Pro 12 A according to Eminence data. Since its way smaller Neo Magnet allows for an additional 1 liter of air space in the Heresy cabinet, is should get you an extra 1 Hz. or so extra bass, and require less power while doing it. Both are rated at 400 Watt RMS.

So theoretically it should play just as loud with 26% less power. I should caution you that ALL Woofers start to thermally compress at about 10% of their rated power, so 40 Watts will do it in a Heresy 2.0. It's gradual and not very audible until you get gross about it and play "stupid loud" for a very long time. Just know that 40 Watts in a Super Heresy is about 116 db/channel at 1 meter, which is 119 with both channels. Knock back several feet into the reverberant field and you are beating your hearing with 110 db Rock Concert Level (stupid loud) at that point. 

The improvements from the Super Heresy 2.0 from the 1.0 version will be more subtle that the improvements from an old Heresy un-ported cabinet to a Super Heresy 1.0, but those that have both should know for sure how much that really is in the listening.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, CoolCanuck said:

Well, I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive. They only shipped the speakers last Thursday. Well, I guess others wanted time off for Christmas as well.

Guess that will give me time for the MAHL's to arrive as well.

Do you put the foam sound insulation on the front panel as well (where the speakers are mounted to)?

Also, I don't really want to f*up my rear panels, so I will be making new rears with the holes for the ports etc., as well as using an original style terminal strip for the connection. That way, there will always be the out to "return to stock" if ever desired...

as long as you put foam on 3 surfaces, you should be ok with none on the rear panel, although it's where it's the best and easiest to put it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't died and gone to heaven, but close.

Daughter came for a visit and brought me most of the parts...now have the MAHL's (thanks Dave), so I can mate them to the new tweets. Still waiting for the insulation, so I guess I'll just do the recap first.

Or is it OK to mount the new DE120's to the MAHL's and install them as well? As I don't have the insulation and still have to make new rear panels (don't want to rout out the original backs with the S/N & Tags).

The Eminence KappaLite 3012HO's are in-house as well... which can only mean:      I'm 'a itchin' to finally get started.

Edited by CoolCanuck

Is foam a better choice than poly fill or other type of fiberglass bat application?  I am building new speaker cabs with a bit larger volume  to create what I will term a Heresy II plus.  Using Eminence  12 inch Delta Pro-450A woofers that will be tuned to about 45 hz.  Using stock K-53 squawkers and K-76 tweeters with upgraded titanium diaphragms.  Also using stock new Heresy II crossovers by Bob Crites.  It may not work but I am having fun trying. Will see how they sound in a couple of weeks when they are done.  

Dave

Edited by Dave S

OK. The deed is done. All I can say is.....   :):):)  ;)

First, I changed out the caps with the 2x 2uf, just like @ClaudeJ1 had indicated in "The Recipe". Made sure the writing was back-to-back-inverted. Twisted and soldered each set of 2 together to the existing wiring. Then secured the new caps to the plywood.

Then I ran the speakers again and noticed some improvement to the sound in mid/high range.

Then I removed the existing K-22's and the tweeters. Installed the MAHL's from @Dave A and the DE-120 combo, then on to the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO's. All speakers were soldered in to the original wiring. Then, popped in the insulation and the new back. I did paint the visible MAHL surfaces black. Came out nice.

Now, all I can say is...

WOW!  WOW! and another WOW!

I'm :):):) from ear to ear. Love the increased bass, the mid's appear "cleaner" and the highs, well... just like I like them. A definite improvement.

I'm so glad I did it and that my 61 year old ears can still hear those high's.

Thank you very much @ClaudeJ1

Edited by CoolCanuck
sp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CoolCanuck said:

OK. The deed is done. All I can say is.....   :):):)  ;)

Thank you very much @ClaudeJ1

You are welcome. I'm glad I decided to post my original success with this mod about 5 years ago. The "SH Club" is growing, so welcome to the club and thank YOU for your faith in the outcome, your time and $$ investment, and for sharing the joy with us!!

PS: This should motivate me to finish doing my own v. 2.0 Supers Heresys, they are still waiting for my attention.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention in my earlier post from today:

I basically left my "E" crossovers unchanged, aside from changing out the original Can cap's to 2 pairs of the 2uf caps from Parts Express, as Claude had mentioned earlier.

Just finished playing Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" and man, what a difference. Day and Night.

Do have to be careful though and not forget to turn the volume 'just a tad' lower now...

Edited by CoolCanuck
  • Like 1

Dave S- go through this thread, it's not so long. I followed Claude's Recipe, so they are still the originals.

The new MAHL horns appear much more glossy in the pics, as they are aluminum, vs. the 'rough' painted wood. They are semi-gloss.

The speaker exterior is still the same, raw birch, as the day they were made, albeit, with a bit of 'Patina'. Don't plan on changing that.

P1210635s.jpg

P1210636s.jpg

• Like 4

Today I received the convoluted foam and some dyna mat to treat the speaker cabs and the horns.  I also cut out and glued up my slanted risers so I will be retiring the hockey pucks.  So waiting for the walnut veneer to arrive but have lots of things to do before I can apply the veneer anyway.  It is too cold in my work shop to do veneer work right now anyway but it will be warming up here soon.  I hope.  So in the mean time I will apply internal foam and see how things sound after that.  Thanks Cool Canuck for the info and I am very pleased to hear your project is so successful.    I am glad I found this group of like minded guys that are still playing with toys.  😉 

• Like 1

Hi All,  had an interesting experience that I am sure many of you have gone through but I thought it might be worth mentioning here for those of your who have mentioned that their speakers, in particular here, the Heresys, don't have much bass.  I moved my music listening room and now share it in my living room.  My wife thought it might be nice if we shared the music in a more common area to both of us. And she gained a "Woman Cave or She Shed" in the process that was my listening room.  Clever devils those wife's.  LOL  At any rate, the living room is about 17 ft x 17 ft by 10 high.  Yes, the infamous square room syndrome. The problems of a square listening room are real.  The standing wave issue tends to suck the bass into a black hole. I tried various normal speaker positions and  there was literally no bass response.    I went on line to see how the "experts" handled it and all of their suggestions did not work, except for one. A young man suggested forgetting about speaker placement symmetry and put the speakers on the diagonal  into one of the corners.  Left channel speaker is about three feet to the left of the corner and the right channel speaker is about 5 feet  to the right. They are roughly 6 feet apart from each other. Because of existing furniture I also had limitations  on speaker placement.  The absent bass came back and the room sounded alive again. I did put a corner trap in the opposing corner which helped a bit as well. I remember Claude's account of his Super Heresy's in his bedroom and the great bass response he was getting.  This really shows that the room is so important and will make or break your listening experience.  So for those who claim the Heresy speakers have no bass, maybe it is simply your room geometry and your speaker placement.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dave S Sounds like you're reasonable, glad you could arrange for a sweet spot. 

The bass is lacking in the Heresy except for that first month I owned mine back in 1990 when they were the best I'd ever had.... infinitys and bose prior to H IIs.

But the Heresy deliver the force of the bass unlike my new Fortes. Even the supers I've got now deliver some punch while having the back port.  I've got my super H 1.5 in a large room in corners the fronts raised three inches, one on the floor one above & behind the sofa. Throw the balance a little to the right for our normal LaZBoy (on the left) tv experience and it's pretty good. Even with less wattage thrown into them than I'm used to for thirty years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave S said:

I remember Claude's account of his Super Heresy's in his bedroom and the great bass response he was getting.  This really shows that the room is so important and will make or break your listening experience.  So for those who claim the Heresy speakers have no bass, maybe it is simply your room geometry and your speaker placement.  

The original pair was in a bedroom a little smaller than your room. I was astounded by the the 30 Hz. bass response I got. If you look at the original Super Heresy 1.0 thread, you will see the curve. The ROOM dominates the bass, for sure, below 250 Hz.