The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

Super Heresy 2.0 (Baby Cornwall II mod.)

On 5/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, Pete H said:

Good Afternoon!

I was again, reading through your work on the Super Heresy and SH2 and I'm in the process of redoing 2 sets of KP250's, one which I'm selling to a friend and with all of your knowledge and work on the Heresy's I thought you might be the best person to ask with regards to making the KP's better.  I've replace the tweeter diaphragms with Crites titaniums and that was a big improvement, but anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated.  These are not being used, nor will be used in a PA environment at all, not will they have crazy power thrown at them so I'm looking to get the networks/drivers/ports dialed in as to best reproduce music in reasonably sized rooms.  I know you're a busy man, so if you find the opportunity to answer, I thank you in advance.

Pete

I'm currently using a pair for my L and R side channels. There's not a whole lot you can do to improve them. They have a K42 woofer already and ports are optimized for that box. I tried using deeper ports in front and found they were not worth it.

However, If you were to seal the 2 front ports and install the single rear firing port I used on the SH's, you might get improved bass below 80 Hz. but it may not be worth the trouble unless you can move them into corner and/or slightly away from flat walls like the I had them 5 years ago, before I sold them to JimJimbo. And even then, I can't guarantee it like I have the SH mods, since I never did that myself and measured.  That speaker is already pretty good the way it is, and, along with the rear porting, you would have to change the crossover to an E2. There's a reason why I chose to use the Heresy 1 for a mod, since it's so old and give the most improvement of all the mods (especially Version 2.0 with DaveA's tweeter lens vs. a 50 year old K-77. Since you have a good tweeter in there already, I don't think it would improve much. Mine are stock and the tweeters are excellent as is.

Again, it may not be worth it to rear port and stuff the enclosure while changing the network, and you'd be better off getting them on top of 2 12" sub woofers crossed at 80 Hz. That's what I would do. Besides, the SH mod is true and tested by so many people, but ONLY for specific boxes, namely Heresy 1 and 1.5. All others are not tested or done by me. OK?

@ClaudeJ1 - I still love the way my modded Heresy 1 speakers sound. When I'm home alone... the volume a tad (!???) higher than 'normal', listening to my fav tunes...

Damn Claude, they're nice.

Glad I joined the group when I did.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoolCanuck said:

@ClaudeJ1 - I still love the way my modded Heresy 1 speakers sound. When I'm home alone... the volume a tad (!???) higher than 'normal', listening to my fav tunes...

Damn Claude, they're nice.

Glad I joined the group when I did.

Thanks for the update. I'm finally going to complete mine (Walnut cabs) with the port in the center rear rather than offset like the original. The NEO magnet allows for that level of symmetry. My KP-250's will be relegated to surround rear channels 6 and 7, while the Super Heresy 2.0's will be surround sides 4 and 5. So I will have an 11 channel 7.3.4 Atmos setup once I put the Unity Summation Aperture Horns on top of R, L, and Side Channel Supers, aimed up at the ceiling. 65 drivers will do the trick, I think! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG.

Don't think I'll ever get more than maybe another set... or maybe a 5.1 setup...or...  :)

I think I know how it happens...

Is there a Klipsch Anonymous group in your area???

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CoolCanuck said:

OMG.

Don't think I'll ever get more than maybe another set... or maybe a 5.1 setup...or...  :)

I think I know how it happens...

Is there a Klipsch Anonymous group in your area???

Klipsch and Danley, NO. I'm just additcted to the very best sound I can afford. It took me YEARS to get here, a little at a time.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Klipsch and Danley, NO. I'm just additcted to the very best sound I can afford. It took me YEARS to get here, a little at a time.

But you corrupted a lot of us with your heresy!!

...must resist tinkering with my Heresies...

... must hold on a bit...

The original Super Heresy thread is really what pushed me to upgrade from the rp-160s. But I really want to keep the configuration stock before doing anything.

This is so tempting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

As Nike says... Just Do It!

I know I did. Didn't even take me long to put the pieces together...check with Claude, I don't think I was on here for long before deciding to do it right and go straight to this version with DaveA 's MAHLS. I haven't regretted it yet.

I have the Heresy's in the corners of my basement work area (!!) and get to listen to them ALL DAY LONG if I so choose. My workbench is right in the center, distance to each speaker from my seat's a mere 6-7 ft. They're angled up on 3" pedestals I bought back in '81. So yea, it's great.

OTOH- I never did really try to listen to the old original (1981) Heresy's with just the recapped board. Had it apart, had the pieces, so decided to jump in the deep, deep end.

So now, where's my local Chapter of the KHA group? When do they meet?

2 hours ago, donmark said:

...must resist tinkering with my Heresies...

... must hold on a bit...

The original Super Heresy thread is really what pushed me to upgrade from the rp-160s. But I really want to keep the configuration stock before doing anything.

This is so tempting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the prices of the parts are coming down much... so why wait when you could be enjoying the Great Heresy2.0 sound next week? Who knows, if you get run over at the end of next week, imagine what you would have missed?  As Bob B. used to say...  come on down!

Seriously though, I'm glad I did it.

Edited by CoolCanuck

18 hours ago, CoolCanuck said:

I don't think the prices of the parts are coming down much... so why wait when you could be enjoying the Great Heresy2.0 sound next week? Who knows, if you get run over at the end of next week, imagine what you would have missed?  As Bob B. used to say...  come on down!

Seriously though, I'm glad I did it.

You can save a little bit of cash if you use the original woofer specified in the Super Heresy (Baby Cornwall) 1.0 mod. they will just be much heavier because of the Ceramic magnet rather than the Neodymium one in the SH 2.0. Woofer performance is almost identical, Except the woofer Xmax on the Neo version allows it to play even louder.

15 hours ago, JohnJ said:

But you corrupted a lot of us with your heresy!!

So I am told. After a conversation with Jim Jimbo and how many people he "victimized," with my mod, I'm sure there are more of you than I know of. BUT you had to be "corruptible" to begin with, right?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So I am told. After a conversation with Jim Jimbo and how many people he "victimized," with my mod, I'm sure there are more of you than I know of. BUT you had to be "corruptible" to begin with, right?

Well...... yeah!!

Hearing those mighty Khorns in the small house one at each end of it with 20w driving them blew me away. Then the Heresy years later that made me think I could get in on the Ksound! And the difference from the H2s I had almost three decades to the modified Supers.... there is a world of difference in the imaging and the strength of the sound with a bit lower reach in the bass response.

But the above is already laid out in your response charts in the first thread!

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

But the above is already laid out in your response charts in the first thread!

Yes indeed. It was a careful, step by step, discovery on my part (over 5 years ago, Holy Cow),  that I wanted to share while maintaining the OBJECTIVE integrity of the mod by providing as much data as possible.

I simply wanted to make sure that people who jumped on the bandwagon would not be wasting their time or money based on a typical, weakly founded, internet opinions that create regrets later. In God we trust, all others provide data!

Overall, it makes me feel pretty good that so many people like it and are happy they did it. That being said, I really like spending other people's money on a worthwhile cause, don't you? LOL.

• Thanks 1

BTW, I still stand by my original woofer choice for both Versions of the Super Heresy. Either the Delta Pro 12A or the Kappa Lite 3012 HO for the highest output possible, highest frequency flatness in that box from 50 Hz. on up, and lowest distortion via greater MFG rated specifications and my simulations.

Those who have built them tell me that either one is a success, BUT I have to admit that the version 2.0, while a little more expensive, is the very best of the two Versions, because of the better woofer AND Dave's tweeter. Now that Dave tells me he was able to fit a DE-10 driver into his smaller MAHL, I would say that OPTIMALLY, one could save money on the Tweeter Driver and put it into the KappaLite 3012 HO, which still has about 1 db higher output overall in the bass and midrange area. Since the K55 Midrange is heavily attenuated by the Autoformer in the E Network, it's low distortion/high output has never been an issue.

When you guys use all these other woofers that are a little bit CHEAPER, you are making compromises which I, personally would NOT do.

I'm not saying this to discourage your efforts. I'm just pointing out some hard TRUTHS.

That being said, it's your EARS, and your MONEY!!

BTW, the "Baby Cornwall" designation doesn't mean that it has "full" Cornwall performance. The Cornwall, with it's 15" driver and WAY larger box is the champ in the low bass department. It gets to a useable 30 hz. whereas the SH only get down to a useable 50 hz.  I still recommend a Tapped Horn subs with the SH, whereas a Cornwall box gets low enough for music not to require one. The new Corwall IV, looks like a speaker that should strike fear into the hearts of other brands that were at the last Hi Fi show. Just sayin'