Super Heresy 2.0 (Baby Cornwall II mod.)

ClaudeJ1

2 hours ago, AugustWest said:

Here is the woofer I went with, if this is incorrect please let me know

They were simply not available as opposed the the usual "out of stock" message there when I checked several months ago. So good for you, since you got them, they are a tiny bit better than the Delta Pro for a Super Heresy, so you are all set, as long as you got the right PORTS.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They were simply not available as opposed the the usual "out of stock" message there when I checked several months ago. So good for you, since you got them, they are a tiny bit better than the Delta Pro for a Super Heresy, so you are all set, as long as you got the right PORTS.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Thanks I'm using your recipe and port recommendation, as I said, I've been following your work for years and have nothing but respect for what y'all have come up with. I fully expect to have these in my primary system for years to come.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AugustWest said:

Thanks I'm using your recipe and port recommendation, as I said, I've been following your work for years and have nothing but respect for what y'all have come up with. I fully expect to have these in my primary system for years to come.

Well, you should be good for another 40 years then, with the NEW, IMPROVED sound! I'm still amazed at how many people have done this. It was my goal to make improvements to the Heresy over 6 years ago, but how good it sounds went beyond my original plan, so I was compelled to "share the joy," so to speak!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:42 PM, AugustWest said:

Let us know how it sounds when you finally "git 'er done."

I see that most people are using the egg crate dampener in the cabinets - I happen to have a lot of sonic barrier vinyl sheeting laying around from an old project which I'm using to line the backboards and was wondering if anyone has had success using this instead of the egg crates for the remainder of the cabinet or to dampen the midrange horn. 

• 6 months later...

After reading so many different "mods" for the Heresy I's, this is by far the best one. I made new 3/4" rear panels with said ports and speaker plugs. As I am a current student and money is pretty tight I figure I could do most of the "cheaper" mods with foam and porting the boxes. The Eminence Neo woofers are next.....with those being 200 bucks a pop it could wait a little longer. So far Ive done what i could with porting and foam the Heresy's have a much lower end bass even with stock Klipsch's. I can only imagine what it sounds like with the more efficient woofer. Thank you Claude for the info of this mod!

• 5 months later...

Hey Claude, and everyone else out there....due to low stock of the 3012HO woofer and my impatience for the restock of Sept. 30th, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences substituting the 3012LF ? I suppose I could just get the original delta pro 12a in the super heresy 1 mod, but as a fellow electronics tweaker, I know I might always be left with that "what if" if I just use the original woofer instead of the kappalite 3012HO. The woofers seem somewhat similar. Besides the deeper base of the 3012 HO vs Claudes original woofer, I like the idea of the lighter 3012HO and more cabinent space, etc. So, I'm ready to pull the trigger and mod one set of my heresy 1s....please help a brother out. I feel like a dope fiend waiting to pull the trigger on the woofer driver.

Thanks to all in advance,

Eric 

I should mention, I have heresy 1s....with Crites E crossovers and Crites B&E 120 tweeter replacements I dropped in over the k-77-m....my other set of heresys have the original round magnet k-77s and I'll probably swap those out with the k-77m square magnet tweets and just do the port, woofer, foam, and e crossover changes and have 2 sets of super heresies depending on how well the first set goes. I know it's all subjective, especially with our different listening environments, but after pouring through these threads; the tonal balance of the the mids and highs along with with a good 3db increase in efficiency makes this modification so worthwhile....seeing how you guys have been tweaking and testing these for years, what's the best woofer selection? It's almost as if I could cheap out and even use the Daytons just to get a taste of the super heresy mod....but I suppose an eminence woofer would be a better fit for a klipsch purist aside from being better built. But I'll be damned if covid hasn't backlogged everything like even ordering speaker drivers. And I don't have much free time coming up after the next week or so and want to just pull the trigger and finish my super heresies within the next week or 10 days. I suppose I can go with whatever eminence delta or kappalite neo driver that's available and just roll the dice. Also, I've considered just recapping and modding the original E crossovers with the T2A autoformer and just sell the crites type E replacements I got to help offset the costs for the woofer. Part of me wishes I'd had held off on the tweeter upgrade as well until I did all the other mods. Heck, I'm so invested in these heresys at this point I may just resell the new tweeters as well and do the other mods.....so far, with just a direct crites crossover and tweeter replacement in 2 of my heresies, they don't sound all that better or different. But based on these threads that new tweeter and original midrange won't really shine until I change autoformer taps and increase the efficiency across the board with the new woofer. Sorry for all the rambling (especially sounding redundant based on the # of posts on claude's incredible work) but I'm just crazy excited....I've had 3 tube amps just waiting for the efficient supers for a very long time.😁😁

AH, the good ol' internet....I was able to find a couple of the 3012 HO neo woofers in stock. Hopefully next week I'll be throwing in the ported rear panels and new woofer and experience all the super heresy has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

@ClaudeJ1 Getting started on the SH build. Going to build my own crossovers. Found a crossover pictured in a 2014 comment by you ClaudeJ1? Is this the schematic I should be using? My drivers are the K-42-K woofer (they look like brand new units), no mid drivers yet (advice on that is needed as I see what I consider a few good options) and I still need the tweets. I happen to have a pair of B&C DE360s just laying around. Don't ask how I got them, teehee. But I think those might be a bit overkill (if there is such a thing). Me not know. Dave is cutting some elliptical horns for me soon. I am also trying to find an appropriately sized elliptical mid horn (if there is such a thing). Otherwise I'll go with stock. Am I missing anything ClaudeJ1?

Edited by Jomac60

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about woofer selection, in part because Claude has a Super Cornwall thread that uses the 15 inch Kappalite 3015LF4 rather than the HO version that he recommends for the Super Heresy 2.0

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, as I assume he's made the best choices for each speaker as regards sensitivity and interior volume of the speaker. 

12 inch Light Weight Eminence Woofer Choices: Kappalite 3012HO vs Kappalite 3012LF vs Deltalite II 2512 Neo

Eminence Kappalite 3012HO Neo 12" Driver Specifications: 
*Power handling: 400 watts RMS *VCdia: 3" *Le: 0.57 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.5 ohms *Frequency range: 51-3,500 Hz *Magnet weight: 11 oz. *Fs: 51.5 Hz *SPL: 100.5 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 2.86 cu. ft. *Qms: 8.39 *Qes: 0.33 *Qts: 0.32 *Xmax: 6.2 mm *Dimensions: A: 12.38", B: 11.06", 😄 5.63".

Eminence Kappalite 3012LF Neo 12" Driver Specifications: 
*Power handling: 450 watts RMS *VCdia: 3" *Le: 0.98 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.6 ohms *Frequency range: 46-2,000 Hz *Magnet weight: 11 oz. *Fs: 37 Hz *SPL: 95.5 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 3.72 cu. ft. *Qms: 6.94 *Qes: 0.34 *Qts: 0.32 *Xmax: 9.1 mm *Dimensions: A: 12.38", B: 11.06", 😄 6".

Eminence Deltalite II 2512 Neo 12" Specifications: 
*Power handling: 250 watts RMS/500 watts max *VCdia: 2.5" *Le: 0.46 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.04 ohms *Frequency range: 48-4,000 Hz *Magnet weight: 7 oz. *Fs: 37 Hz *Sensitivity: 99.9 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 5.2 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.13 *Qes: 0.44 *Qts: 0.39 *Xmax: 4.9 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 12.38", Cutout Diameter: 11.06", Mounting Depth: 6.06".

I'm happy to order exactly what Claude thinks is right, but if there's an explanation...I'm all for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Making a little progress…

Went with the aluminum SMAHLs in the decorator Heresy Is.  

While waiting for an Eminence woofer restock, I went with a Faitalpro 12FH 500. https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=151050100  This is pretty comparable to the Eminence Kappalite 3012 HO Neo. The 3012HO Neos are, as of this writing, very hard to find in stock.

The crossovers have Sonicaps installed already, so I’ll leave them alone for the moment.

The next step is the bass port.  I’m going to cut new rear panels for the speakers to preserve the originals.  

6E0BE5E1-BF52-434B-8F0A-7011FDE43F69.jpeg

7FE5AD17-295A-4C14-9757-B5A95AB734F6.jpeg

• Like 1