Passive Subwoofers

J M O N

I think I have decided that passive subwoofers are the way to go.  There are a few reasons: (1) the amplifiers in active subwoofers seem to have high failure rates.  This is likely due to the vibrations -- electronics don't like vibrations and being integrated with the sub driver provides for a harsher environment. (2) In the event your subwoofer amp needs replacing, it is a much easier thing to do when it is separate from the sub.  For active subs you have to find the right amp that has the same form and fit as the original amp.   That likely means getting one from the OEM and they may not carry that model any longer.  In that case, you either ditch the entire subwoofer or you get a different amp that will be used externally.  You will have essentially converted your active subwoofer to a passive subwoofer.  So why not start out with a passive sub in the first place?  It is far better to replace just the subwoofer amp than the entire (active) subwoofer -- if complete replacement is the route you choose.  And (3), separating the two allows you the freedom to chose your subwoofer amp.  Now while you would have to assume the subwoofer manufacturer has already chosen the ideal amp for their sub, sometimes that means they are making the selection based on cost targets.  If you select your own sub amp, you may be able chose one of higher quality than what the OEM might be providing.  This doesn't always mean a higher cost to you.  Even if the passive sub comes with an external amp, that is still preferable to me based on my other points mentioned above.

What that being said, what passives subs are out there?  DIY is where most are but what about commercially available?  I'm aware of very few passive subs commercially available -- most are active.

I'm guessing you'd probably be best off having one built by a car stereo shop that specializes in building subs. Or, you can piece one together from many of the pre-fab boxes out there.

You're right; there aren't many if any available for home use. I have a Klipsch kg sw subwoofer. While it doesn't reach below 36Hz, and it's not quite the kind of subwoofer you're thinking of, it's filled my needs quite nicely.

• Like 1

SVS offeres or offered passive subs, mainly the tall cylinder versions.  if they dont have a current model passive, they are out there on the used market.  ive seen other brands over the years from the klipsch KG passive to cerwin vega & a few others.  if you have good amplification they are pretty decent. 

• Like 1

You outlined some smart concerns.  The real benefit beyond those inconveniences is much better performance for less money.  

No need to reinvent the wheel, simply state a budget and your goals and we can easily point you towards tested solutions that you can build or pay someone to build.  

Horns, ported, sealed there are some DIY options for each.  

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, JMON said:

What that being said, what passives subs are out there?  DIY is where most are but what about commercially available?  I'm aware of very few passive subs commercially available -- most are active.

Klipsch KW-120 THX Ultra 2 subs are pretty awesome:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kw-120-thx-subwoofer

List price is $1500 each but can usually be found new at discount for under $1k 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 10:02 AM, CECAA850 said:

@JMON. Diyaudio and parts express have flat pack sub kits that are cnc cut and go together extremely easily while fitting perfectly.   Those are your best bang for your buck if you don't want to cut panels and go all out diy.

Thanks, I've considered DIY kits -- specifically the 18" kit from Parts Express.  I'm not familiar with the Diyaudio kits so I'll have to take a look.  I don't expect to do anything completely DIY as I don't have the appropriate tools nor the time to go that route but a flat-pack is something I would entertain.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 5:21 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

You outlined some smart concerns.  The real benefit beyond those inconveniences is much better performance for less money.  

No need to reinvent the wheel, simply state a budget and your goals and we can easily point you towards tested solutions that you can build or pay someone to build.  

Horns, ported, sealed there are some DIY options for each.  

I think my primary requirements would be size and weight.  I don't want anything too big or too heavy that could not be moved by myself -- including going up a flight of stairs.  With a hand truck, moving blankets, and ratchet straps, I'm able to move something as large/heavy as a Belle or La Scala up a flight of stairs to that would probably be about the maximum size/weight I would want to go.  I don't think a horn sub would be a consideration at the moment as a larger (and heavier) box would be needed to get to the lower frequencies that I'd want in a sub.  With that in mind, I'd consider either a ported or sealed design.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:02 AM, jjptkd said:

Klipsch KW-120 THX Ultra 2 subs are pretty awesome:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kw-120-thx-subwoofer

List price is $1500 each but can usually be found new at discount for under $1k 

I'm aware of the Klipsch KW-120 THX Ultra 2 subs and agree they are pretty amazing, especially considering their more modest size.

Other commercial passive subs I'm aware of are:

• SVS CS Ultra
  • SVS 16-46 CS
  • SVS 20-39 CS
  • SVS 25-31 CS

I understand Hsu offers (or offered) passive subs but I'm not familiar with the models.

I guess what I'm really asking for is a list of other commercially made passive subs.  What else is out there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 5:30 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you have to move something up a flight of stairs consider moving the subwoofer cabinet and driver seperately.  Install it upstairs.  

Moving them is part of the issue -- and I actually have thought about what you suggest.  The other part is my listening room is on the second floor and there is already a lot of weight in the room so I want to minimize the overall weight.  At the very least, I'd like to spread it out, so more lighter subs would be better than fewer heavier subs.

My Amp went out in the sub and I have it in storage.

If I need to get an external amp I have the box and driver ready.

The amp from Polk cost more than a new PSW 505.

200 for a new sub.

I like the sound of my system without the sub. 

• Moderators
On 10/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, Peter P. said:

I'm guessing you'd probably be best off having one built by a car stereo shop that specializes in building subs.

I would be very careful doing that, many car subs are just in it for the boom, and not very good at real music or the detail of it. That's the way it seems anyway, built to rattle loose parts on the car and to produce a thump = junk. Not all but the majority anyway.  

I would rather have a passive sub that requires a separate amp instead of something built in.