Forte with 3 watt SET

Mark51

OK ... stupid ... but just had to share it and did not want to start a new thread about "stupidity." :D  Hooked up my "new" Marantz 1060 to my stuff in the stereo room.  NO right channel :(  Got the 1060 off "offer-up" so thought "maybe I got screwed."  Tried the "usual" i.e switching speakers, inputs, etc. ... 2 hours ... NO go :D  OK; using a JVC P-3030 preamp with a "2 stage/dual" volume knob. Had them both turned to "full."  Jeez ... the back knob on this pre-amp is NOT for L/R volume ... it's a "balance" knob and I had turned the right channel "off." :(  Had not used this equipment for a couple of months :( 

Everything is GREAT now :D Thought you guys needed a "laugh." Jeez ... pouring a big glass of wine now :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

10% distortion at full output(3 watts?) Yikes. 

And a review done with speakers that are 24” and 29” apart. Sometimes the devil is in the details.

while $200 is not a lot of money, I would have suggested a used Decware SE84 for $400, which would have put you in a less compromised amp with some quality parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheltie dave said:

10% distortion at full output(3 watts?) Yikes. 

And a review done with speakers that are 24” and 29” apart. Sometimes the devil is in the details.

while $200 is not a lot of money, I would have suggested a used Decware SE84 for $400, which would have put you in a less compromised amp with some quality parts.

I am not sure my SE84 cost 400.00 new. Might have been 349.00.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Or a Neurochrome Novar Spud.

I need to look up. Seen the LM3886 version Neurochrome amplifiers.

Got a My_Ref Fremen running this weekend. Used the good parts. 

Did hang an input transformer on it and ditched the coupling cap. Source is balanced output and the Cinemag 15/15B does the conversion to SE.

Do not know if the noise floor is -145 dB, George K measured that. But is totally silent on my LSii tweeter and midrange horns with ear touching the mouth. So is low enough.

I need to look up. Seen the LM3886 version Neurochrome amplifiers.
  Got a My_Ref Fremen running this weekend. Used the good parts. 
  Did hang an input transformer on it and ditched the coupling cap. Source is balanced output and the Cinemag 15/15B does the conversion to SE.
  Do not know if the noise floor is -145 dB, George K measured that. But is totally silent on my LSii tweeter and midrange horns with ear touching the mouth. So is low enough.

Yep, the Modulus series is solid-state.

His stereo tube amp is the novar spud. It does ultra-linear or triode operation, with output power ranging from 2.3W to 5.5W per channel depending on tubes chosen and configuration. You can build it from $200 to $300.