Mixing & Matching Klipsch Series

Incloud

Hey everyone, I have recently moved back to Klipsch speakers after being with Polk RTIA's for roughly 7 years. Though I loved the appearance of the Polk's as they fit perfectly in my living room, they never came close in my opinion to Klipsch. I had the Icon W series prior to Polk for about 6 years and missed the sound but got complacent with my Polk speakers. Long story short, I had a couple amps hooked up that I wasn't really using to their potential so decided to sell and downsize a bit. A guy got a hold of me wanting to trade some equipment and at first I said no but a month later he reached out again. I ended up trading my Emotiva LPA-1 and XPA-200 for a set of RF-3's, RC-3, and 2 pair Quintets (white). The quintets are brand new never opened and the RF-3 set came in their boxes and look straight from Klipsch along with the RC-3. I could not be happier except I needed a new pair of surrounds so I ordered a pair of RB-51ii in hopes that they will match well. Thoughts?

Now I've got the Klipsch bug again and although the RC-3 sounds outstanding it is tiny compared to my CSI-A6 and I love a big and powerful center channel. So now I'm hunting for a good matching center for my RF-3's, RB-51ii's, and my SVS PB-2000 Sub. I'm looking at the Klipsch RP-450C and before ordering was hoping that some of you here could give a little feedback & opinion on my choice of mixing and matching Klipsch speakers. Now I do understand that mixing series is not optimal but also realize Klipsch has a very distinct sound and may blend well together. I will look forward to any and all responses and Thanks in advance for any and all time and consideration here.

Bobby C.

Incloud Design

Klipsch-RF-3ii.jpg

• Like 1

Speakers look very clean, welcome back to the world of Klipsch! I've never had a problem mixing and matching Klipsch speakers but honestly when listening to music I stick with 2 channel, I don't think timbre matching is as critical for surround sound with movies. I would recommend finding a used RC-7 that was the flagship center speaker at the time the RF-3's were produced and it uses the same woofers as the RF-3's so it would be a very good match. If you want to buy new I would look for a good deal on the RC-64 II they can be had at discount right now because they are being cleared out for the new RC-64 III. 

• Like 3

I second that on using a rc64. They are a wonderful center speaker. If you you can, buy two for the day when you buy a monster tv and you can place one on the bottom and one on top of the tv. And the price of the rc64 is going for really low prices now
I think you would have a hard time finding a R-7 and if you did , you will most likely pay though the nose for it

10 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Speakers look very clean, welcome back to the world of Klipsch! I've never had a problem mixing and matching Klipsch speakers but honestly when listening to music I stick with 2 channel, I don't think timbre matching is as critical for surround sound with movies. I would recommend finding a used RC-7 that was the flagship center speaker at the time the RF-3's were produced and it uses the same woofers as the RF-3's so it would be a very good match. If you want to buy new I would look for a good deal on the RC-64 II they can be had at discount right now because they are being cleared out for the new RC-64 III. 

I agree with you on the matching woofers as that would be most appealing and most likely blend better. The RF-3's are very impressive and the crisp bass is outstanding but I do miss the size of my CSI-A6 and my living room looks empty without it in comparison to the RC-3. Don't get me wrong the RC-3 is a great speaker and sounds better to me than the CSI-A6 but I love a beefy center and the RC-64's have the size although the price is still a bit steep for me. The RP-450C has the size and aesthetics I'm looking for, is a newer model and priced pretty low for a Premier series speaker in my opinion. I don't listen to music that often and my main focus is on home theater sound as detailed as possible in my price range. I have a 2 family and rent the apartment above me so I have to be courteous about how loud and when I pump it up for movies. As you can see I am aiming toward the RP-450C and as long as it wouldn't be a mistake and stand out from the rest of the system, chances are that's what I'll order. I'm going to use the the RC-3 with the two sets of white Quintets I got with the deal in my bedroom. Sounds to me like it will all work out and I must say it feels great to back with Klipsch. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed the signature sound of all Klipsch speakers. After listening to my Polk's for so long it is a shame how much I was missing from my system by not going Klipsch. Thanks guys for the great feedback and considerations!  

1 minute ago, Emile said:

@Incloud ... very nice set-up ... congrats.  Personally I think the "dedicated" center speakers are WAY overrated.  Many of us prefer a center identical to the L/R speakers.  Just no clue how you could fit it into your setup.

Cheers, Emile

Thanks, it's on its way. Next house will have a dedicated theater room with hidden speakers and I intend on matching speakers throughout.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Emile said:

@Incloud ... very nice set-up ... congrats.  Personally I think the "dedicated" center speakers are WAY overrated.  Many of us prefer a center identical to the L/R speakers.  Just no clue how you could fit it into your setup.

Cheers, Emile

why do you think that?  a center channel for home theater use has very different performance requirements than the mains.

@Incloud I'm certainly no expert, but I found better sound from my RP440c by pulling the front out to the edge of my a/v stand.  you could be getting sound reflections off the table surface with it pushed back as you have it.  just a thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, isotopesope said:

why do you think that?  a center channel for home theater use has very different performance requirements than the mains.

Try it.  You'll like it.  if a speaker can handle L/R main duty, it can more than handle center duty.  Phantom center mode is a better option than a mismatched center.  What does that tell you?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, isotopesope said:

@Incloud I'm certainly no expert, but I found better sound from my RP440c by pulling the front out to the edge of my a/v stand.  you could be getting sound reflections off the table surface with it pushed back as you have it.  just a thought.

The center channel is designed like it is because most people have a TV and want their center to fit under it easily. There is actually quite a bit of acoustical issues with center channel speakers and lobing effects for those not directly in front of the TV. With 3 identical matching speakers, you get a seamless sound stage but is only realistic if you have a projector and an acoustically transparent screen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, twk123 said:

The center channel is designed like it is because most people have a TV and want their center to fit under it easily. There is actually quite a bit of acoustical issues with center channel speakers and lobing effects for those not directly in front of the TV. With 3 identical matching speakers, you get a seamless sound stage but is only realistic if you have a projector and an acoustically transparent screen.

ah, interesting.  thanks for a better explanation than "try it because I have a subjective opinion about it".  a third tower as my center is definitely unrealistic for my room and setup.  i also don't have the perception my center channel is mismatched with my towers at all. 

i haven't noticed any of the issues you described, but I don't have a huge seating area for my HT, and don't use this system for music.  my MLP is 10' away from the center channel (RP440c), with the center of my mains (RP-250f's) about 10' apart.  I use the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 built into my Marantz 7702mkII for my speaker setup.  

I got my RB-51ii's today and first thought was "they're tiny" compared to my A3's but they sound outstanding with much better detail. I've got them crossed at 60hz and they blend fine. My plan is to order the RP-450C Wednesday. I really don't need it as the RC-3 is essentially plenty but I've got the bug now, lol. Addicted again!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, isotopesope said:

ah, interesting.  thanks for a better explanation than "try it because I have a subjective opinion about it".  a third tower as my center is definitely unrealistic for my room and setup.  i also don't have the perception my center channel is mismatched with my towers at all. 

i haven't noticed any of the issues you described, but I don't have a huge seating area for my HT, and don't use this system for music.  my MLP is 10' away from the center channel (RP440c), with the center of my mains (RP-250f's) about 10' apart.  I use the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 built into my Marantz 7702mkII for my speaker setup.  

You have a quality center channel but its always fun to experiment. If you are directly in front of the TV, try turning your center off (Often called a "phantom center") and see how you like it. Your AVR will route the center signal to your mains and the stereo image of your mains will actually put the dialog right on the screen. You may be surprised how natural it sounds. However, this only works if your directly in front of the screen, if you are too far to either side the dialogue will pull to the main speaker you are closer to. That is why centers are more important for larger rooms with off axis seating because it "locks" the voices to the screen.

Hey guys, so I ordered the RP-450C and will receive it by Tuesday this coming week. I traded my amps so am running off my Onkyo TX-RZ810 rated 130 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 kHz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels. The nominal output power of the RP-450C is 150w. I'm sure I'll have plenty of power to drive the 450C with my Onkyo but to be honest I'm not completely sure how all the numbers work. I don't listen to music much, mainly watch movies, but want to be sure my system plays to its potential and my RF-3ii's, RP-450C, and RB-51ii's are not lacking power and distort. If someone could explain in laymen terms what I'm dealing with described here it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all, I'm very excited!

Bump. Got the RP-450C today. Going to set it up and come back with results. I got nice speaker spikes and protectors copper plated to match the drivers and it looks great. Waiting for an SPL and Microphone boom to arrive Thursday and will calibrate it all. So far I could not be happier with my decision to come back to Klipsch as it is a night and day difference in sound over my Polk's. Thanks for all the feedback!

Klipsch-Theater-System.thumb.jpg.90bf90d0b26817e62f818c65ead039bf.jpg 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:02 AM, Incloud said:

Bump. Got the RP-450C today. Going to set it up and come back with results. I got nice speaker spikes and protectors copper plated to match the drivers and it looks great. Waiting for an SPL and Microphone boom to arrive Thursday and will calibrate it all. So far I could not be happier with my decision to come back to Klipsch as it is a night and day difference in sound over my Polk's. Thanks for all the feedback!

Klipsch-Theater-System.thumb.jpg.90bf90d0b26817e62f818c65ead039bf.jpg 

Hi there, I know it’s is an old thread now but I’m curious how did you like the setup? I’m currently in a position where I have the rp450c and is hesitate to go for a pair of rf3, which has a pretty good deal in the used market. Do you like the setup? Is there any drawback?

thanks!!

2 hours ago, Charlie_C said:

Hi there, I know it’s is an old thread now but I’m curious how did you like the setup? I’m currently in a position where I have the rp450c and is hesitate to go for a pair of rf3, which has a pretty good deal in the used market. Do you like the setup? Is there any drawback?

thanks!!

The OP hasn't been on the forum since October 2018.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie_C said:

That's too bad.....

Since it's bumped someone else might see it and comment on that particular pairing of speakers. He did say "so far I could not be happier" 🙂

Personally I thing that system could sound very good. Even if you got a deal on the RF3s and didn't like them, you can get your money back, or start another system.

• Like 1