Strong Rhetoric on China

Jeff Matthews

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

but this is a rather big developing story that isn't quite mainstream yet but has potential to dominate headlines in the not-so-distant future.

It has been on every mainstream news outlet starting 3 days ago.

It was preannounced that he was going to slam China 4 days ago.

They will be best best buddies again if they finish the trade deal.

They will continue to posture until then.

At the request of the OP not to debate politics, I don't see too much here of a story here, yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

They will be best best buddies again if they finish the trade deal.

They will continue to posture until then.

At the request of the OP not to debate politics, I don't see too much here of a story here, yet.

I haven't seen it in the MSM, so it was new and surprising to me.  I knew there were trade issues, but I had no idea that the rhetoric had jumped to imperialism, human rights, democracy, oppression, etc.  And in fact, China has ramped up its oppression lately, and the US (and others) are starting to acknowledge it looks like there is a serious problem there.  I am not sure if striking a trade deal means this concern goes away.

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Rather than debate politics here, I just thought some of you might like to know what's going on.

😳

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

🕵️‍♀️

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I haven't seen it in the MSM, so it was new and surprising to me. 

LOL! That's cuz you don't subscribe to the "MSM" and get most of your "news" from different sources. 😁 

China has not played fair for 30 plus years we have been trading with them they are and should be the main concern for the US and have been for quite awhile. They have been trying to undermine us any which way they can by either stealing trade / military / tech secrets, building massive military compounds in south China sea or trying to replace the petro dollar lots have been going on under our noses and for some reason it never or rarely gets reported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

China has not played fair for 30 plus years we have been trading with them they are and should be the main concern for the US and have been for quite awhile. They have been trying to undermine us any which way they can by either stealing trade / military / tech secrets, building massive military compounds in south China sea or trying to replace the petro dollar lots have been going on under our noses and for some reason it never or rarely gets reported.

True, except it has been reported over and over again, and continues to be.  Not a week goes by that there isn't some mention of these things.   But fear not.  We have the greatest economy in the history of the world, and everything is massively, hugely super despite all of that.  Life has never been so good.  Now, some will say this out of one side of their mouths, while whining about how we are poor victims in an unfair world out the other.  Is it really both?  Of course it is, depending on who is talking to whom.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

True, except.......

You plow deeper than that response. There is no way that the US can keep ignoring the elephant at the table. Throw the toupee wearing twitter posting guy under the bus if you want, but he has tried to address several issues that were previously ignored.

10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You plow deeper than that response. There is no way that the US can keep ignoring the elephant at the table. Throw the toupee wearing twitter posting guy under the bus if you want, but he has tried to address several issues that were previously ignored.

They haven't been ignored, but the problem is, as you state, we are dealing with an elephant.  Think of the greed factor as well.  How much money do you think US corporations have been reaping from manufacturing and importing goods from them?  That guy you mention has a daughter who made all of her products there and elsewhere besides the USA.  I'm not one for throwing twits under busses though, that would be like picking on the retarded.

11 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yes, and that toupee wearing twitter poster has also ignored or mocked issues such as sexual assault, racial inequality, overt poverty and ongoing environmental harm that will haunt your children, and grandchildren for generations.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Still couching it almost strictly in terms of a trade issue.  It's so much more than that.  I encourage you to watch the videos and listen carefully.

If you want to get into human rights, etc., you are barking up a hypocrisy laden tree.  

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

See my last response above.

I understand.  I never wanted this to become a question of whether somebody deserves cudos or not.  It's too bad that groupthink compels people to this invariable end in every news topic which is worthy of serious consideration.  This thread will be locked soon.  Oh, well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Not actually.  And I don't buy the argument 2 wrongs make a right.

Actually yes.  And I don't buy the argument either.  But even a cursory glance at our history shows we will look the other way from these things if we like them for other "more important" reasons, and come down hard about them if they are not in our sphere of influence.  If you want to deny the hypocrisy on that basis, then it is simply a willful conscious decision on your part.

• Like 1