Strong Rhetoric on China

Jeff Matthews

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Whew! The link above came back but I thought the Chinese had pulled a fast one.....That said, can we talk about the current big developing story in the news about the guy they killed and disremembered in the Saudi consulate in Turkey? 😲

Sure,  but start a new thread

That way if you can't help yourself and sink into a conspiracy theory that is the result of politicians, or current administration, or anything else that constitutes politics (regardless of how true it may be)  a moderator can simply hide the whole thing with one click.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

That way if you can't help yourself and sink into a conspiracy theory that is the result of politicians, or current administration, or anything else that constitutes politics (regardless of how true it may be)  a moderator can simply hide the whole thing with one click.

That sure does seem like a weird response from a moderator given how this thread has gone....You're the boss and I will do as you wish.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, Zen Traveler said:

That sure does seem like a weird response from a moderator given how this thread has gone....You're the boss and I will do as you wish.

The thread has gone great because I have hidden a significant number of posts that were clearly political so I could have this as an example if people tried.

If I recall correctly,  I believe I had to hide 3 or so of your posts as being way over the line and a source for the OP requesting restraint as he didn't want thread locked or hidden.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I believe I had to hide 3 or so of your posts as being way over the line and a source for the OP requesting restraint as he didn't want thread locked or hidden

You are the moderator on this forum and I realize I can't win an argument about my deleted posts and has happened before with you and other moderators I appreciate you have a point of view and it trumps mine. :)

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

You are the moderator on this forum and I realize I can't win an argument about my deleted posts and has happened before with you and other moderators I appreciate you have a point of view and it trumps mine. :)

Wrong again, my point of view was in line with yours on the political posts I had to hide in this particular thread.

The moderators have to apply a rule equally, regardless of whether we agree with it or not: no politics.

This thread was well discussed and debated without having to decline into politics. A great example of what can happen if people try.

We don't get to pick and choose what we agree with, just whether it is political.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I have been on this forum for a long time and there is a written record of me NOT sinking into ANY conspiracy theory and have proudly debunked more than a few. ;) 

Conspiracy theory was a poor choice of words.   Your point is well taken.  We can leave that part out and stick with "you sink into politics."

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The incident in Turkey and the economically based response answers the question, Jeff.  Human rights demonstrably fall under the heading of yes, it is a trade issue.

That depends on what type of cause/effect relationship you want to discuss.

Does our refusal to engage in trade on favorable terms cause them to oppress local Muslims?

Edit:  I understand the argument that we could induce them to stop oppressing Muslims by paying them.  That's a different point, altogether.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:46 PM, ellisr63 said:

China owns the USA, and will not allow the USA to fail as they would lose BILLIONS. The USA has way too much debt to China to play hard ball with them, and needs to back off IMO.

Not even close......Their economy is not even 1/3 the value of ours. I have worked with the Chinese for years.....They think the USA is a joke....basically because we gave them all of our jobs....Treat China with respect....Yes......but don't give them anything...They Don't own us.

George

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

That depends on what type of cause/effect relationship you want to discuss.

Does our refusal to engage in trade on favorable terms cause them to oppress local Muslims?

Edit:  I understand the argument that we could induce them to stop oppressing Muslims by paying them.  That's a different point, altogether.

It's not cause and effect.  Policy simply doesn't care about human rights depending upon profit and loss.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ellisr63 said:

They own us because we owe them Billions of dollars. The whole world is laughing at us, and you say we are not a joke?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well kind of, it is beyond billions, it is now measured in trillions.  Japan and China are essentially in a tie.  Japan was ahead for awhile because China was buying back its yuan to give it support, after 8t started climbing against the dollar they started buying out debt again.

Strong demand keeps our interest rates low.

and... the professional fitness of profit relative to an area of the world should (could) roll some of "that" back into the foundation (… ie, the population) … as in a "see-saw" …. but in the scope of perception, it seems to appear that one player wants a rather large pile in this game... the game's could be different... agreed to be equal, fair, and enjoyable... but the wave of difference looks like an unrational poker hand, not irrational.... no simple number's.... unknown cause or effect, reliance on the past when wishing for a solution... but is the solution inevitable in a positive way?.... yes, because we all know the world is round, but only a few can deal with the calculus...