Nad t758v3 or Marantz 6011, 12 or 7011 ect

xo705cf

Looking to upgrade my receiver looking for opinions between the listed above...  I’ve heard both but not side by side... really like the sound of the nad, but pricey,  However Marantz is loaded with features and sounds good as well...  I am however pretty interested in the Dirac...  But not sure I want the complexity....  Would like to hear from some of you that may have owned both however all points of view are appreciated...  will be replacing a denon x1000 Which is still good but I’m looking for more power and better room correction...

My NAD T175HD pre/pro has served me very well for at least 6/7 years for both HT and music.  I am loyal to the brand primarily because of sound quality though it and my other NAD pieces have been rock solid reliable also.  If the 175 does take a dump in the near future, I will seek out a great deal, new or used, for a T187 pre/pro or one of NAD's AVRs like the T758v3, T777v3, or T787.  

I am open to jumping ship for a great deal on an Anthem pre/pro or AVR also.  Never owned any modern Marantz but have heard they are nice and pretty reliable.

Bill

Hey Bill thanks a lot for the response I was hoping I’d hear from you I read your post quite often find your information valuable. I was hoping you’d heard Marantz before but nonetheless I’ve been leaning toward NAD anyway...  Hopefully I’ll get a few more responses with some opinions out there.....   If I’m not Mistaken I believe I’m right down the road from you here in Melbourne Florida you were kissimee right?

4 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Hey Bill thanks a lot for the response I was hoping I’d hear from you I read your post quite often find your information valuable. I was hoping you’d heard Marantz before but nonetheless I’ve been leaning toward NAD anyway...  Hopefully I’ll get a few more responses with some opinions out there.....   If I’m not Mistaken I believe I’m right down the road from you here in Melbourne Florida you were kissimee right?

Thanks for the kind words, glad to help.

Yes,

Kissimmee/Saint Cloud(in between city limits of both).

Bill

i have a Marantz 7702mkII processor paired to their MM7705 5 channel amp.  i'm using XLR interconnects between them from Blue Jeans Cables.  it sounds excellent, and has a lot of really killer features.  i dig the Audessey calibration on it too.  the remote can be programmed to run other components like your Bluray player or TV.  i really love this setup, but it is my first foray into home theater or multi-channel sound.  i've always been a 2 channel analog luddite, prior.  well, i still am.  ha!

i think the AV770x processors have really similar features as their SR70xx receivers?

i've never heard an NAD pre/pro/avr, but have a lot of respect for the company and their products.

17 hours ago, isotopesope said:

i have a Marantz 7702mkII processor paired to their MM7705 5 channel amp.  i'm using XLR interconnects between them from Blue Jeans Cables.  it sounds excellent, and has a lot of really killer features.  i dig the Audessey calibration on it too.  the remote can be programmed to run other components like your Bluray player or TV.  i really love this setup, but it is my first foray into home theater or multi-channel sound.  i've always been a 2 channel analog luddite, prior.  well, i still am.  ha!

i think the AV770x processors have really similar features as their SR70xx receivers?

i've never heard an NAD pre/pro/avr, but have a lot of respect for the company and their products.

Hey isotope thanks for the reply I think I’m only more confused now LOL....  The thing I like about the NAD is the fact that It has DIRAC Which I heard is awesome and Supposedly a cut above Odyssey, But also pretty involved to set up...  Are you running regular Odyssey or does yours have odyssey XT 32?  My current receiver only has Odyssey XT so I don’t really want to move over to anything else that has Odyssey XT as it would only be a lateral move in my mind....  If you are running Odyssey XT 32 what is your opinion on that...? It does seem like you get more for your money however if you are running Marantz as in channel driven compared to the NAD....  However when I heard the NAB I have to say the sound quality was awesome...

yeah, my AV7702mkII has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32.  i like it a lot; it's really a pretty easy setup process and everything sounds well blended.  but again, this is my first surround setup, so I have nothing to compare it to.  i've re-run it a few times now, after rearranging my furniture and speakers a few times, etc. 

prior to running the Audyssey, i experimented with manual configurations, but got way better sounding results after the Audyssey setup.  no surprise, since i'm still a HT noob and still learning.

i REALLY wanted a McIntosh MX-122, but it's just too damn expensive for me at the moment.  the MX-122 also uses the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and has other strong similarities to the Marantz, which was a huge factor in me going with it.  that, and my local audio shop sold it to me for 50% off list, as it was the outgoing model , making way for the AV7703. 

again, no direct experience with Dirac or NAD's home theater stuff in general.

is there anywhere you can A/B both brands of receivers? 

• Like 1

By all means, get something with Audyssey XT32 in it.  While you are waiting for it to arrive, read this: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"  It is far clearer than any manual of any complex electronic instrument I've seen in recent years.  XT32 will correct the frequency response of your speakers and room as heard from the Main Listening Position, and a few seats in either direction (it works pretty well from anywhere on our 5 seat couch).   Be sure to use all 8 microphone positions.  The corrections are applied to the time domain, as well.  Unlike a graphic or parametric equalizer, with a maximum of 30 or 40 sliders (top end), XT32 corrects at hundreds of points, thousands if necessary. 

After Audyssey you will probably want to turn your subwoofer up by a few dB.  The reason for this is explained in the following article, and a way to do this without clipping is explained as well.  Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences  

Audyssey works very, very well in my system.  Because it provides Reference, not Preference, it is to, quite literally, get the kinks out of your frequency response (everybody has them).  Then apply your preference, gently.  Below are two examples of preferred response shared by many people (ignore the kinks, you will be getting rid of most of yours).  My only disagreement with the curves below is that I would not cut the treble.  Audyssey Flat won't cut it, but the other choice, plain Audyssey, will.  You get to choose.  You have to boost the bass a bit yourself.  If you avoid DEQ, you can pump up the bass below ~~80 Hz with the subwoofer gain control, and ~~80 to 200 with the bass control on your AVR (can be operated only with DEQ off). 

image.png.64ec6a83a96a9ef0d81d04491ed065f0.png

image.png.232df5fecd4efe1c69fbdc5dc39216f1.png

Have fun!

EDIT:  Oh, if NAD has DIRAC, consider that, too.  It looks like the NAD version only corrects up to 500 Hz, leaving 500 to 16 K Hz uncorrected.  Some people like that, some don't.  I like full range correction. To me, in my treated room, without correction, those 5 octaves need work!  Audyssey does that work for me.  NAD's DIRAC evidently would not.  For instance, Audyssey removes an 8 K Hz peak (probably originating in my Klipschorns), and gradually increases the SPL from 10K Hz to 16K Hz, where, in my room, the Khorns roll off a little.   Also, for movies, Audyssey increases dialog clarity (in my case).

What speakers do you have?

8 hours ago, isotopesope said:

yeah, my AV7702mkII has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32.  i like it a lot; it's really a pretty easy setup process and everything sounds well blended.  but again, this is my first surround setup, so I have nothing to compare it to.  i've re-run it a few times now, after rearranging my furniture and speakers a few times, etc. 

prior to running the Audyssey, i experimented with manual configurations, but got way better sounding results after the Audyssey setup.  no surprise, since i'm still a HT noob and still learning.

i REALLY wanted a McIntosh MX-122, but it's just too damn expensive for me at the moment.  the MX-122 also uses the Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and has other strong similarities to the Marantz, which was a huge factor in me going with it.  that, and my local audio shop sold it to me for 50% off list, as it was the outgoing model , making way for the AV7703. 

again, no direct experience with Dirac or NAD's home theater stuff in general.

is there anywhere you can A/B both brands of receivers? 

Unfortunately I don’t have anywhere where that I can hear them both side-by-side...  Nonetheless I really appreciate you in put thanks again And I will be sure to update once I make a decision and let you know what I think

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

By all means, get something with Audyssey XT32 in it.  While you are waiting for it to arrive, read this: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"  It is far clearer than any manual of any complex electronic instrument I've seen in recent years.  XT32 will correct the frequency response of your speakers and room as heard from the Main Listening Position, and a few seats in either direction (it works pretty well from anywhere on our 5 seat couch).   Be sure to use all 8 microphone positions.  The corrections are applied to the time domain, as well.  Unlike a graphic or parametric equalizer, with a maximum of 30 or 40 sliders (top end), XT32 corrects at hundreds of points, thousands if necessary. 

After Audyssey you will probably want to turn your subwoofer up by a few dB.  The reason for this is explained in the following article, and a way to do this without clipping is explained as well.  Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences  

Audyssey works very, very well in my system.  Because it provides Reference, not Preference, it is to, quite literally, get the kinks out of your frequency response (everybody has them).  Then apply your preference, gently.  Below are two examples of preferred response shared by many people (ignore the kinks, you will be getting rid of most of yours).  My only disagreement with the curves below is that I would not cut the treble.  Audyssey Flat won't cut it, but the other choice, plain Audyssey, will.  You get to choose.  You have to boost the bass a bit yourself.  If you avoid DEQ, you can pump up the bass below ~~80 Hz with the subwoofer gain control, and ~~80 to 200 with the bass control on your AVR (can be operated only with DEQ off). 

image.png.64ec6a83a96a9ef0d81d04491ed065f0.png

image.png.232df5fecd4efe1c69fbdc5dc39216f1.png

Have fun!

EDIT:  Oh, if NAD has DIRAC, consider that, too.  It looks like the NAD version only corrects up to 500 Hz, leaving 500 to 16 K Hz uncorrected.  Some people like that, some don't.  I like full range correction. To me, in my treated room, without correction, those 5 octaves need work!  Audyssey does that work for me.  NAD's DIRAC evidently would not.  For instance, Audyssey removes an 8 K Hz peak (probably originating in my Klipschorns), and gradually increases the SPL from 10K Hz to 16K Hz, where, in my room, the Khorns roll off a little.   Also, for music, Audyssey increases dialog clarity (in my case).

What speakers do you have?

Hey Gary thank you for the in-depth information really appreciate it definitely a lot to consider...  I was leaning toward the NAD but now I’m not sure...  When you read about it online it sounds like it’s a step up from even xt32, But maybe that’s not quite the case after reading what you said above...  I’m currently running RP 280 for my front mains with the 250 C for center...  rears are tannoy mercury m1s for now and sub is a dynamo 500...  I went from a Denon AVR 2800 to the Denon AVRX 1000 but have not been overly impressed with the newer one even though it’s more modern how are the power is definitely lacking compared to the other one...  Awesome system you have by the way...

ok, so i essentially only buy new equipment from my locally owned independent audio shop...  BUT! i was doing a comparison between the NAD t758v3 vs the Marantz SR5013 and SR6012 on Crutchfield:

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=10420&compareItems=01|745T758V3&compareItems=01|642SR5013&compareItems=01|642SR6012

to me, you get a lot more for your money on either Marantz over the NAD.  either Marantz has more inputs and more features.  built-in bluetooth, airplay, alexa...  plus, no phono input or ethernet port on the NAD.  however, maybe all that doesn't matter to you?  channel wise, the 7.1 t758v3 is more equivalent to the 7.2 SR5013, which only has Audyssey XT, but the 9.2 SR6012 has the XT32 plus the two extra channels, and lists for less.  however, looks like Crutchfield has a special going on for the SR6012 now... only $900! 

reviews on the NAD aren't as good either.  also, NAD has a 2 year warranty, Marantz is 3. 

21 hours ago, isotopesope said:

ok, so i essentially only buy new equipment from my locally owned independent audio shop...  BUT! i was doing a comparison between the NAD t758v3 vs the Marantz SR5013 and SR6012 on Crutchfield:

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=10420&compareItems=01|745T758V3&compareItems=01|642SR5013&compareItems=01|642SR6012

to me, you get a lot more for your money on either Marantz over the NAD.  either Marantz has more inputs and more features.  built-in bluetooth, airplay, alexa...  plus, no phono input or ethernet port on the NAD.  however, maybe all that doesn't matter to you?  channel wise, the 7.1 t758v3 is more equivalent to the 7.2 SR5013, which only has Audyssey XT, but the 9.2 SR6012 has the XT32 plus the two extra channels, and lists for less.  however, looks like Crutchfield has a special going on for the SR6012 now... only $900! 

reviews on the NAD aren't as good either.  also, NAD has a 2 year warranty, Marantz is 3. 

Yeah you definitely have some valid points and bang for buck I definitely agree with you there.  I think that’s partly the reason why I’m not sure which direction I want to go. I’m having a hard time letting go of the sound of the NAD. However I definitely think you get a lot more for your money with the Marantz. Definitely appreciate your input.  And by the way it sounds like you have a pretty awesome system for just being a noob.  Lol

I have the Marantz 6011. I don’t think I can help you in comparing because I have not owned or even listened to any of the other AVRs you mentioned. I can tell you the 6011 sounds great has lots of features it has a powerful version of Audyssey  Are there any particular questions I can help you with? 

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I have the Marantz 6011. I don’t think I can help you in comparing because I have not owned or even listened to any of the other AVRs you mentioned. I can tell you the 6011 sounds great has lots of features it has a powerful version of Audyssey  Are there any particular questions I can help you with? 

Hey WVU thanks for input right now I think I’m leaning towards either the SR 7011 or the SR 7012 certainly can appreciate input and enjoy some of the other post I’ve read from you before....  From what I’ve seen in your other post looks like you really enjoy the 6011 and looks like you have a pretty nice set up as well...  Right now I’m trying to figure out with the main differences are between the two I listed above?  A review on YouTube says the older one has more power but I don’t think that’s true any insight on this?    I do know that the 7011 was a sound and vision topic  Pick though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Right now I’m trying to figure out with the main differences are between the two I listed above?  

Yes I really like the 6011.  It has more capability than I use so if I do decide to try something like Atmos I've already got the right AVR.

Here's a nice comparison of the 7011 vs 7012.

https://helptochoose.com/compare-av-receivers/sr7011-vs-sr7012

You asked about power.  Both are listed at 125 wpc but he 7012 has a total output power of 1100 watts, the 7011 shows 950 watts.

• 1 year later...

OK I know it’s been a while but I finally pulled the trigger. I ended up going with the NAD. And talk about going from a broken hyperdrive to lightspeed, what a improvement.  I haven’t completely ran Dirac yet, But to this point I am thoroughly impressed with the receivers quality and sound.  It is a marked improvement over the Denon X 1000 that it replaced...  So far well worth the money...  I will give more feedback after I run the room correction..  One thing I noticed immediately is that the unit  does not run hot Compared to my two previous denons..   More to come down the road I’ll keep you guys posted.

• Like 3