pair of subs

Jvitti1970

Looking a pair of ultra clean sounding  subs good to say 20hz  to  match with my vintage Lascala.

Want to be able to get them to blend at about 50hz to create the ultimate 4 way system. i want that transition from sub to LS seamless for 2 channel perfection! 

any suggestions would be helpful

Edited by Jvitti1970

You don't need a sub box the size of a coffin to get solid bass response look at sealed servo subs they are far cleaner sounding, dig deeper, albeit at the sacrifice of some db's.  I use three Velodyne's (two 15" and an 18") with my trio of La Scala's.  They dig solidly into the teens.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 4:51 PM, jason str said:

My 18x21x72" THTLP is flat to 18 Hz (-3 db) in larger size room.

Experiment with the crossover & placement if you have the option, its worth the time.

Both are DIY or find a builder style cabinets.

Curious -  Would going with an 18 x 18 x 72 make much difference or is the extra few inches on width worth it to help keep it flat?

9 minutes ago, muel said:

Curious -  Would going with an 18 x 18 x 72 make much difference or is the extra few inches on width worth it to help keep it flat?

The 21" width is the minimum for the 15" Dayton RSS390HF-4 driver i like.

18" wide version can use the 12" Dayton RSS315HF-4, Eminence Lab 12" or Lab 15"

Frequency response and output wise the Lab 15 is the way to go in the 18" wide version.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:07 PM, jason str said:

The 21" width is the minimum for the 15" Dayton RSS390HF-4 driver i like.

18" wide version can use the 12" Dayton RSS315HF-4, Eminence Lab 12" or Lab 15"

Frequency response and output wise the Lab 15 is the way to go in the 18" wide version.

Sorry... didn't see you had replied.  So the 15" Dayton is a bit cheaper... is that why you like it  better than the Lab 15" or do you have other reasons?  Pretty equal over all? 

I couldn't find any concrete comparisons on the differences on the widths.  

21 minutes ago, muel said:

Sorry... didn't see you had replied.  So the 15" Dayton is a bit cheaper... is that why you like it  better than the Lab 15" or do you have other reasons?  Pretty equal over all? 

I couldn't find any concrete comparisons on the differences on the widths.  

Price has nothing to do with it, the Dayton works best in the design but cannot be used in slimmer models because of the pressure involved.

The wider the cabinet the better.