Finished with Cigarbum's Klipschorns

bkwa1959

I finally finished the Klipschorns tonight ,in my spare time I repaired and tried the best of my limited skills level of the top hats and horns.I think the weight of the massive JBL midranges put a lot of stress on the horns.I then had to try and get the horns to sit flush on the bass cabinets.I then sanded and painted the cabinets satin black with PPG diamond paint,I had to make braces for the top hats .I am using them with Volti VTK-400 crossovers and they sound great.

IMG_1543.JPG

• Like 1

Nice to see how those have been given new life and will be enjoyed.  Great job.  Hope you enjoy.

By the way, have't seen an FM antenna like that in some time.

Edit:  Hey.............Is that Bob's reel to reel as well?  How does it sound?  I heard it once at his house and really don't remember much about it.

17 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I finally finished the Klipschorns tonight ,in my spare time I repaired and tried the best of my limited skills level of the top hats and horns.I think the weight of the massive JBL midranges put a lot of stress on the horns.I then had to try and get the horns to sit flush on the bass cabinets.I then sanded and painted the cabinets satin black with PPG diamond paint,I had to make braces for the top hats .I am using them with Volti VTK-400 crossovers and they sound great.

IMG_1543.JPG

Congrats!  So glad you were able to use those killer JBL's

tc

Mark, I have been playing the reel to reel and some tapes sound better than others,some tapes seem to try and play both sides at once.Looks like the tapes in the blue boxes have never been used.I knew when I was buying these pieces that they were going to need a little TLC,the turntable needed adjustments to the arm for the que to work plus a new belt,the preamp had a little static in a couple of the controls,the tape deck needed the heads cleaned and a couple of adjustments and the speakers needed the horns repaired and trying to square up the tops and bottom of the top hats.Everything has been interesting to say the least.The turntable sounds great,the speakers are also sounding great and the preamp is classic and has the classic McIntosh sound(I wish it had a remote)I am heading down to JC's in couple of weeks to pick up a couple of subs ,I hope to be able to listen to his system.My next goal is to try and get a pair of jubilee's.I heard a pair at Rich's home when I picked up the 3 Lascala II's he was selling on the forum a couple of months ago.My wife and I really enjoyed meeting Bob and his girlfriend when we picked up the speakers,I hate we had to meet like that with him selling his system.The reason I have been posting updates on the speakers was my hopes that he would visit the site and see that the speakers he thought so much of was being brought back to life and being enjoyed instead of sitting idle.

image.jpg

They definitely sound better than they look,I have a pair of Klipschorns and wanted t try the 2" horns with upgraded midranges,tweeters and crossovers,but my pair of Klipschorns are1981 vintage and are like new and I did not want to change them(other than wiring)when these popped up I thought I would try and buy them.It has been a challenge,but it has been worth it,I need to thank IB slammin for pushing me to keep the jbl2446h midranges,I wanted to change them due to the weight,I just put pieces of wood under them to help support the midranges and they sound wonderful.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Are you playing a 4 track tape with a 2 track head (or with the selector on 2 track instead of 4?)

That's what I was thinking. Which specific model is that? They made half track stereo and four track stereo models.

IB Slammin I want to thank you for your emails for me to keep the jbl 2446h midranges,I have been using them with Volti VTK-400 crossovers and I was ready to sell them and try something else,today I kept making adjustments with crossover and I found the right combination today.The speakers now are noting short of state of the art,they image,have sweet dynamic top end with great solid bass.The music seems to continue after the last note,I also have been trying out different amps and I remember you and a couple of other members talking that Bob's Klipschorns were some of the best you have ever heard,I think the McIntosh C-34v preamp may have help you guys come to that conclusion.The tone controls and the adjustable loudness control really blend well with the speakers,thanks again for urging me to keep them.

• Like 1