Denon AVR-X4500H VS Marantz SR6013

CoryGillmore

Hey my dudes my older Onkyo A/V receiver that powers my old home theater in a box 7.1 system in my bedroom has bit the dust. So I want to put the Onkyo TX-NR757 from my living room in the bedroom. Meaning I'll need a fresh receiver for the living room. I'm looking to budget about $1,500-16 for a receiver. 

This receiver will be powering my 7.2 all Klipsch speaker system: x2 R-28F towers, R-25C center, x4 R-15M surrounds and 2 R-12SW subs. At some point in the future I intend to upgrade my front stage+subs to something a little higher up the Klipsch ladder (at least RP). Although, to be honest, I don't exactly know why because I've been extremely happy with the sound from my Best Buy Klipsch setup haha. The towers+subs in 2.2 especially shine for my music through Tidal or my extensive FLAC collection. But I have no complaints from movies either. Quite the opposite, it impresses me with every listen

Regardless this speaker upgrade will be next year most likely, but for now a receiver is needed to power what I have and potentially in the future. For my budget I've narrowed it down to the Denon AVR-X4500H and Marantz SR6013. The Denon has somewhat annoyed me so far as their power ratings are listed as that BS 4ohm one channel figure that is completely useless. The Marantz listing I saw listed the power as 150WPC but didn't specify any further. But, from what I gather,  Marantz is pretty straight forward and honest with their power ratings. But I mean surely this thing isn't outputting 150wpc on 9 damn channels, I mean right? Either way, they'll both be heaps more powerful than the Onkyo they're replacing and as far I can tell this Onkyo powers these speakers just fine, so power isn't too much of a concern. 

So what do you guys think as far as these two brands and how they synergize with Klipsch? Thanks in advance. And if anyone can point me to a bench test of these two receivers I'd sure be grateful as I can't find one. 

• Like 1

Both Denon and Marantz are known to work well with Klipsch.  Rule of thumb is the Marantz is better for music, the Denon for movies but I think the Marantz does just fine with both.

Of the two choices I like the Marantz 6013 currently selling on Amazon for $1400.  The 6012 is still available for $900.  I don't know the difference between the two models.

I have the older brother Marantz 6011.  It sounds fantastic with everything I've thrown at it.  It's currently running in 5.1 mode with 2 additional height speakers giving me a very wide sound stage.  The Marantz does not slow down the more speakers you throw at it.

Here's a bench review of the Marantz 7012.  You can find some Denon reviews there as well.

https://www.soundandvision.com/taxonomy/term-a/374?page=7

• Like 1

i have no experience with Denon, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Marantz AV7702mkII.  granted, it's a processor, not an AVR, but it sounds amazingly good, has a ton of useful features, and has a great Audessey speaker calibration setup.  it has very similar features as their SR60xx and SR70xx series AVRs.  i have mine paired to their MM7055 5 channel amp, using XLR's from Blue Jeans Cables.  the remote can be programmed to control a lot of other devices, like your bluray player or TV.

my Marantz combo has really great synergy with my RP Klipsch speakers. nearly on par with the synergy i experience with my McIntosh MC752/Forte III combo in my 2 channel system, but that's sorta an apples to oranges comparison.

Marantz is pretty honest about their power ratings.  they don't do any weird specs to make them look better on paper, like some other companies do.  like companies spec'ing the wattage with 1 channel driven at 10% THD?  le huh?  i'm sorta new to this HT stuff, but who wants that?

They spec the SR6013 as 110 watts per channel, with 2 channels driven, at 8 ohms, .08% THD.

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR6013

I just added an AC Infinity component cooler for the amp, to help it stay cool, though the amp never got all that hot, i just wanted the extra peace of mind.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-t8-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-blower-system-rear-exhaust-17/

• Like 1

Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent company, so they should be reflecting their "specs" similarly, maybe you can find better details in a different area online.

FWIW, i went from an older Denon 4308 to the Marantz 8012 to run my Klipsch 7 channel System.

I upgraded because i got a 4k tv and needed more HDMI inputs and better passthrough and also to eventually add some atmos speakers.

What always interested me was people saying Marantz is good for Music and Denon for movies.

That honestly makes no sense to me. If something is "better" for music (more clarity, wider soundstage, more dynamic, better sound) then isn't it also better for movies?

I played a 7.1 DTS soundtrack from ant man and was completely floored by the marantz. 

It's also got a lot more mid-range than my old denon so music and records sound phenomenal on it.

The sound seperation and presence in the surround channels is also much more present, but i'm also updating from a 10 year old receiver.

I honestly don't know if the comparable denon line would be any different from this marantz i have, but i don't think you can go wrong with either.

Klipsch are pretty easy to run and efficient, so i think it comes down to budget and features for you.

If you got any questions feel free to ask!

I've also really enjoyed the HEOS implementation (never thought i'd even use this), but in 5 minutes i was streaming Pandora to it and using their "enhancer" and the sound and ease to put that on while working fomr home some days has been really nice (both denon and marantz will have that)

• Like 1

As I understand you enjoy music listening (Tidal), then Marantz. But which? Try to get acquainted with D+M marketing/set numbers. If you compare D4500 it should go with M7013, not M6013.

Unless web interface (and I don't know what else, I actually own a Sr7011, btw) which is coming back from the past, there isn't so much new in the 2018 range (Imax ? So Dts could surpass 11channel limit? - you still have max 11 channel !) , so in my opinion the better treatment/extra setting for two channel stereo you would gain with f.e. Sr7012 will cost you exactly what your budget is, maybe less. I demoed 6011 and going top of the line with 7011 brought much more smoothness/authority and clarity with the upgrade.

Moreover, Klipsch sensitivity is a no problem with power needings.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards

Alessandro

Edit: what has been told from other forum members is subscribed in full. Only a clear recommendation: I am still running my father's Klipsch Cornwall from 1978! Together with other 10 speakers. You need only one good/sufficient stereo amp (for front top or front height) to run four overheads, go Atmos/DtsX/Auro!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vn800art said:

As I understand you enjoy music listening (Tidal), then Marantz. But which? Try to get acquainted with D+M marketing/set numbers. If you compare D4500 it should go with M7013, not M6013.

Unless web interface (and I don't know what else, I actually own a Sr7011, btw) which is coming back from the past, there isn't so much new in the 2018 range (Imax ? So Dts could surpass 11channel limit? - you still have max 11 channel !) , so in my opinion the better treatment/extra setting for two channel stereo you would gain with f.e. Sr7012 will cost you exactly what your budget is, maybe less. I demoed 6011 and going top of the line with 7011 brought much more smoothness/authority and clarity with the upgrade.

Moreover, Klipsch sensitivity is a no problem with power needings.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards

Alessandro

Edit: what has been told from other forum members is subscribed in full. Only a clear recommendation: I am still running my father's Klipsch Cornwall from 1978! Together with other 10 speakers. You need only one good/sufficient stereo amp (for front top or front height) to run four overheads, go Atmos/DtsX/Auro!

Yeah I'm totally considering the 7012 or 7011 now too. I've discovered accessories4less and even though I usually steer clear of refurbished units, they offer a 3 year warranty for $100. They have the SR6013, 7011 and 7012 all for $999. Then they have the Denon AVR-X7200WA for $1500. Is that just a flagship Denon model from last year? Then on the Marantz, the SR7011 and 7012 are from last year too? 

The flagships from Yamaha and Pioneer are also within reach now too I suppose. Ugh so many damn options. 

• Like 2

Well, as I said, get acquainted! 7013, 6013= year 2018. 7012 = 2017. 7011 = 2016. 7200wa = I believe 2013, not sure (edit, 2014 base, 2015 wa variant with added hdcp compliant hdmi board).

Anyway, eArc included from the year 2017 models (and on ) could still be included in the majority of Tvsets producers, and for Marantz is an old feature! I would not buy again my receiver today ( unless it's a gift !), so eventually go for the 7012.

Regards

Alessandro

19 hours ago, vn800art said:

Well, as I said, get acquainted! 7013, 6013= year 2018. 7012 = 2017. 7011 = 2016. 7200wa = I believe 2013, not sure (edit, 2014 base, 2015 wa variant with added hdcp compliant hdmi board).

Anyway, eArc included from the year 2017 models (and on ) could still be included in the majority of Tvsets producers, and for Marantz is an old feature! I would not buy again my receiver today ( unless it's a gift !), so eventually go for the 7012.

Regards

Alessandro

Ah thanks dude that's what I needed to know! I haven't seen a 7013 on accessories4less yet. Hard to believe that Denon 7200 is from 2014! Wow! That thing must have been quite a beast in 2014. I mean it still is really. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the Denon 6500 on Accessories too. 

• Like 1

Yes, starting from D6500 (and D6400, also) and obviously D8500x, the difference from the so called Marantz sound (a part from the Hdam modules) seems vanishing in the Denon line of Avrs. At least that's what I have read in the last months on Avs forums.
You have your choices!
Regards
Alessandro

• Like 1

I was seriously considering last years models from that site as well when I was shopping. For the price point, the 7011/7012 over the new ones, i was losing maybe 1 or 2 new features but saving a ton of money. The ONLY reason i went with an 8012 is i found out my brother's company gets a discount from D&M and is available to direct family as well.

But i highly suggest the idea of cutting the price in half getting a 1 or 2 year old model (if there's no new features you absolutely need).

For the price savings you could even do the 7703 processor and use the difference on an amplifier.

Since i was doing atmos the price of multiple amps put that out of reach for me, so the 8012 made more sense to have a one box solution (and enough power to drive Klipsch without issue). If i had more demanding speakers i'd have to consider differently running all of them from a single box.

• Like 1