Check this guy's amp collection !!

NOSValves

Arco,

As I have no idea about any of these amps pick me out a nice pair of monoblock 300B based amps and we can share the shipping costs.

Maybe we can get Tony in too - as his Accuphase is so unreliable.

Think we should bring this up at the meet - maybe others are in to this...

Max,

Unfortunately, there are no 300B monos in there. Most of this equipement was made at a time when power triodes were considered rather obsolete and pentodes ruled.

My former proposition to organize a 300B demo at your place, still holds if you are interested.

Arco, did you ever get that EICO sorted out? I am telling you, while it is not a 2A3, or 300B for that matter, when firing on all cylinders with good NOS tubes, it really shares some amazing traits. It has some of the best resolution and spatial cues I know from integrated units this age. Feed it the best signal you can and you will be surprised. Also, it does like nice speaker wire. I have heard a host of 2A3, 300B, 811, 825, 572 SETS and I still recognize the HF-81 as a special little amp.

To others, I scanned this list and there are a host of amps that have potential, many mentioned on this forum and loved by owners. Try to find units that have tube rectifiction. Special notice goes to the HK Citation II, MAC MC-30, Scott 222-299 with some models weighing in better than others (do some research), the Fisher integrateds with tube rectication, EICO ST-70, and others as well. It mainly has a lot to do with condition of the unit. Try to stay clear of obsolete tubes.... Also, usually when someone has TWO OR THREE of something, it can mean the others are sub-par or perhaps used for parts. Not always, however.

Yes I did...

As I reported in another topic, my specimen worked flawlessly without buzzes or other irritating noises and the sound was indeed amazing for an amp that cost so little in its time. Amazing in the sense that it had this typical EL84 bite in the bass and was very balanced throughout the spectrum, although with a slight veiling in the upper mids and highs. I did not have the time to measure the tubes (all Mullards...) yet, but my instinct tells me that if I clean it up well and I do a step by step restoring, I might well be in front of a big surprise. I intend also to see if the preamp circuit can be bypassed so I can also use it as a power amp.

As I am now fine-tuning the 45 amp, I think that the HF-81 will receive my attention during the forthcoming winter. Then I will surely come back...

Hi,

This is a pretty impressive collection. I don't think you need that much room to store all of those amps if you had shelves built. Check out the link below that was on the Audio Asylum a while back. This guy has an awesome collection. The one picture I count about 50 pieces of gear on one wall.

Alfredo

When you go the link click on spy photos.

http://www.homestead.com/casweb/index.html

Sunny,

If your interested in both I would offer him $500 for both. If your a vinyl lover and only want one of the units I would definitly go for the 299B it is easily worth more than the 222C. The 299B is in my Opinion one of the best Scott ever made I have one here I'm restoring for another member of the forum and they are nice amps with nice Iron my second generation 299A is almost Identical to the 299B but doesn't have the slightly better output Iron. The 222C is basically about a $200 to $250 amp they are real nice and have great Iron but the phono section isn't as nice and incorparates a Pec non tweakable RIAA circuit but for CD users these are awesome amps. The thing to keep in mind is even though the guy say's there in working order unless they have been updated by a reliable tech they still will require some basic upgrades to be reliable for daily use just keep that in mind. I will do these updates or help you to do them yourself if you do buy one of these.

Craig

thanks craig, I was thinking about favoring the 299-B as well, I heard elsewhere it was the better of the two...I probably will not spring for both since my wife is begining to question my existing closet collection. I am sure I will need to swap out old caps and some resistors before putting it into production, I will keep you updated on progress in the coming days. regards, tony

• 7 years later...

Daniel; escribo en español pues supongo que lo hablas bien. Estoy restaurando un Scott 800-B6. En contre documentación en la web, pero querria tener una copia del manual original. Te escribo pues pense que quizas me podias ayudar con eso, o quizas sepas quien puede tener alguna a la venta. Saludos cordiales. Gerardo Cedrola,Buenos Aires, Argentina.