Suggestions for Replacement Subwoofers for La Scala

DWALT

First of all, I'm new to the Forum so I apologize if this is already a topic. 

The other night I burned up a Woofer in one of my vintage La Scala's. It started smoking severely and I had to drag it out the back door. 

Now I'm in the market to replace both Woofers, but I don't know what I should replace them with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't really have a price point in mind, I just want something that sounds equal or better, and won't burn up. 

Thanks!

I'm referring to the Woofers inside the cabinets. I apologize, I didn't realize they were different. I've always loved these speakers, but I don't know everything about them. 

Are there any options aside from the K33's that may be able to handle more? I haven't opened them up, but I assume they're completely original. 

Thank you guys for your replies. 

I have pushed speakers hard but never got them to smoke. I am just not trying hard enough, I guess.

The Crites CS1526 is a great choice. I currently have 4 pair of folded horn Klipsch products with 4 different woofers. Klipsch K33 & K43, the Crites and lastly the Eminence Kappa 15C (partsexpress.com).

All work very well in this application. The 33 you have already blown up, the K43 is used in the pro models so handle more power and may be a good choice.

I would say any of those four will do the trick for you. You also might want to consider turning it down a little bit as well. IMHO

• Like 3

You smoked the woofers and not the tweeters?   How is that possible?   Unless it's a car audio application and the primary intent is literally rocking the block, I don't think I have ever heard of someone blowing a home audio woofer from excessive volume.   And from time to time, I listen quite loudly.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

You smoked the woofers and not the tweeters?   How is that possible?   Unless it's a car audio application and the primary intent is literally rocking the block, I don't think I have ever heard of someone blowing a home audio woofer from excessive volume.   And from time to time, I listen quite loudly.  

The tweeters usually go long before the woofers in those.  Lot's of threads about how to test tweeters on Khorn and LS with a surprised owner.  

• Like 2

Correct.   That's why I am surprised.   I have never heard of a blown woofer (in a home audio speaker).  Especially in a LA scala?  I'm assuming severe amp clipping was to blame, however, I would expect mids and tweeters to be blown first unless protection circuitry was inline and did its job. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DWALT said:

Are there any options aside from the K33's that may be able to handle more?

26 minutes ago, Don Richard said:

Did the amplifier go DC and melt the woofer? That would sure do it.

An amplifier check may be in order.

You can get the K43 which will handle more power (at the expense of losing a bit of your low end sound) but if you blew both woofers, I'd pay attention to what Don has to say.  For residential use, the K33 is more than sufficient.

I still have my original woofers from 1979 and they've taken a pounding over my life....especially while in college.

If you blew one....  it might have been a weak driver.... if you blew them both, then I'd suspect something else is wrong....  hence, Don's post.

• Like 1

How vintage and what do you have powering them??? Before buying new ones make sure amp is OK. You could sell the other good one probably. Call Bob....Klipsch …  

Our CW1526 15 inch Stamped Steel Frame Woofers.  Replacement for the Klipsch K-33E for  Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall and LaScala.  Shipping is $25.00 by UPS in the US.

Model CW1526 Pair:  $240.00     120.00 each not bad.

Klipsch price  167.20 but the list could be wrong.
124018X KSM-12-II F.A. PHANTOM EA 411.63 124017X KP-362 F.A. PHANTOM EA 438.62 124016X KP-102 FINAL ASSY. EA 155.16 124005X KP-450 LF FINAL ASSY EA 413.91 124004X KP-301 II F.A. PHANTOM EA 645.24 121813 K-472-E EA 582.19 121812 K-47-EP2 EA 452.81 121811 K-49-EP2 EA 310.50 121561 KD-20-T EA 272.12 121560 KD-17-E EA 136.58 121538 K-1114-T EA 490.89 121537 K-1072-A WOOFER EA 176.64 121536 K-45-EP EA 323.44 121535 K-43-EP EA 276.86 121534 K-48-EP EA 323.44 121516 K-45-K EA 320.85 121501           K-33-E (#15162) EA 167.20          121264 KD-124-T EA 173.79 121261 KD-14-EP EA 78.62 121251 KD-12-K 

3 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Did the amplifier go DC and melt the woofer? That would sure do it.

An amplifier check may be in order.

DIng! Ding! There are capacitors blocking any DC from amp getting to the squawkers and tweeters, but alas not the woofers.

@DWALT I would not just hook up a new woofer to this same amp without checking into this.

Or at least put a fast acting low amperage fuse in series before the first power up.

• Like 1