Water a Fundamental Right?

mangofirst

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

LOL!  OK, so you're THAT teacher!  :lol:

The one who goes to teachers meetings and actually listens.  The one, who at the end of the meeting when the prince or sup asks "does anyone else have any questions" when EVERYONE else is ready to get out of there, raises her hand, and asks a question (you can hear the collective groan from the rest of the teachers in the room).

Yeah, we'll get that water rights info thing to you right away.  It's pretty important!  :rolleyes: 

/jk

Oh hell no. I was taught well (by a coach, of course) on my first day of professional development my first year teaching. "Do not ask questions!"

I do think though, that were there ever a place to ask questions and find as many different responses as any teacher could dream of, this is the place. There's such a melting pot of personalities, interests, and careers right here in the Klipsch forums that I would be remiss not to use this resource to its full advantage, if even for my personal curiosity.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Actually,  back then, we drank more alcohol, a lot more.  Water spoils in barrels, beer doesn't.   There was more beer on the Mayflower than water for that reason.  

The Puritans were all about drink.

The Molasses Act, a tax on non-British (which means French) molasses was imposed on the colonies.  That, along with the Stamp act and Townsend Act led us to declare independence because we are all about life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.   Molasses you see was used by the colonists to make rum.  We were pretty touchy about the cost of rum back then.

Up until the 1800s each sailor in the US Navy was given a ration of a half pint of rum, per day.

We fought the war, won, all was good, alcohol consumption continued to rise, up to 3X of what it is today. People started with a dram with breakfast and drank throughout the entire day. 

Whiskey was used as a form of currency in the early days of our Country.  We loved Whiskey and other spirits so much that the Continental Congress came up with the idea of taxing it to pay the war debt.  Which led to, of course, the Whiskey Rebellion. 

Whiskey, Rum, etc. is a fundamental right, per the 21st Amendment, subject to the democratic process of each State.

Water, on the other hand, is a property right, derived from English common law (and thus "assumed" as you correctly state), which has evolved into statutory law by each state, and heavily regulated.

The biggest blow out over water was between California and Arizona, it started in about '52, SCOTUS issued an opinion in '63 that every law student has to learn about because it deals with Original Jurisdiction of that court (a trial court), and the battle continues to this day.  The Court never held that water was a fundamental right.  https://www.justice.gov/enrd/arizona-v-california

Thus, there is more of a fundamental right to alcohol than there to water.  A strong case can be made for a fundamental right to hot sauce however.

As it should be.

Beautiful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Long ago, there was no price, modern times as been misguided before and will repeat it's mistakes.  When you deny people a chance to live free, war is the end result.  war only determines a winner, not what is ultimately right!

Nobody is free, or everybody is free.  It all started with 2 cavemen and a girl.

• Haha 1

i'm one to believe that the world's greatest audio forum may from time to time, offer examples which cover all the bases, regardless of the topic, nevertheless, an interesting achievement between speakers and water.... the fundamental right to listen...

https://www.klipsch.com/products/professional-series-landscape-subwoofers?model=pro-12sw-ls

• Like 1

water?

I promise to keep this rant short

I moved to southern AZ in 1970. I have heard "them" telling us to "save" water for the better part of my life.

Now, why should I save water, when the govt keeps allowing people to plant more and more houses?

They are pumping mud from the ColoradoRiver to serve Tucson ... and then claim a reduction in per capita water use [at the meter].  Truth is, the water tastes so bad, that folks have to buy bottled water.  So, yeah. They are using less water from the public water/s.

I have half a mind to ask for the water I "saved".

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

water?

I promise to keep this rant short

I moved to southern AZ in 1970. I have heard "them" telling us to "save" water for the better part of my life.

Now, why should I save water, when the govt keeps allowing people to plant more and more houses?

They are pumping mud from the ColoradoRiver to serve Tucson ... and then claim a reduction in per capita water use [at the meter].  Truth is, the water tastes so bad, that folks have to buy bottled water.  So, yeah. They are using less water from the public water/s.

I have half a mind to ask for the water I "saved".

I was just out in Tuscon a week or so ago.  We stayed with wife's relatives on an estate in Green Valley.  Well water, it was pure, clean, and fresh tasting.  He tests it at certified independent lab, it is better than Evian,  Desani, all of them.

• Like 3

Resided in So. Cal for decades and retired to the Pacific Northwest. I vividly recall filling a pot to boil pasta and being amazed at being able to actually see the bottom of the pot. The tap water here could be sold elsewhere...... and the place is amply supplied with the stuff. I have not considered water problematic since. As for a fundamental right........ it should be if for no other reason than clean water means a healthier populace........ rather like vaccinating for disease control. 

I sent many "E" mails to all the Governors of the western states to get together and form a coalition to have the Corps Of Engineers to figure out how to siphon off all the flood waters of the Mississippi River (2 trillion gallons per year go into the Gulf)  into reservoirs using computer controlled dams. This would be a project akin to the building of the freeways.  They didn't listen to me.

JJK

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

We're so spoiled here.  In many other countries, they collect rainwater for household use.  You're all worried that the big companies will buy up the reservoirs, but there will always be rain.  The time for serious concern is when they make collecting rain illegal.  On the other hand, the people who would monopolize the water supply would do so to sell it - not to hoard it.  They will never make it too expensive for people to buy.  (Of course, I realize some consumers have $0, but I imagine Uncle Sam and state-level welfare programs will help those folks with it.)

Home owners are collecting it all over Oregon, Washington, and (Northern) California, but it's possible for a state to be mighty picky about how you collect it.   A guy was shut down for not sharing enough of the water falling on his property with the rest of the watershed. 

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

We stayed with wife's relatives on an estate in Green Valley.

you were about 40 miles from me.... The water in GV IS OK. Don't try the tap water in Tucson... 

Our water is prolly "cleaner" than GV's

We're  on our own little aquifer. My wife is prez of the water co-op here.

• Like 1

When I went to my class reunion....  they made comments about "for those who came from out of town, make sure you take some bottled water home....  Hamilton was voted best in the country"  (or something like that)

I knew that growing up, we always had good water.  Let me rephrase that....  growing up, we could tell that any OTHER water we had tasted "weird" and not as good as Hamilton's  (except for when I was in Aspen or somewhere.....they also had freaking delicious water!)

I was intrigued on what they said so tried a bottle and nabbed several to bring back home with me.

It was as good as I remembered....then found this.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/what-makes-hamilton-tap-water-world-best-tasting/zHOU8dENIJYfMeb3vNiXjO/

• Like 3