Heresy II Cabinet Separating

Peter P.

I just noticed one of the Heresy II's I bought used a few years ago is separating where the side of the cabinet joins the bottom.

Are they screwed together through a  block from the inside? I'm guessing if they are, I can merely tighten the screws and pull things back together.

If not, I'm thinking remove the woofer to access the inside and lay a bead of carpenter's glue where the two panels meet and clamp it together.

Any suggestions?

Just glued together...

Did it get wet or dropped? Unless it was assembled with too little glue, I can't imagine them coming apart.

Some thinned glue on the inside should worked, or thinned epoxy like a 'Rot Doctor' product. It wouldn't take much.

Bruce

12 hours ago, Peter P. said:

If not, I'm thinking remove the woofer to access the inside and lay a bead of carpenter's glue where the two panels meet and clamp it together.

That's how I fixed my last pair.  Try to separate them as far as you can and force glue into the joint.  Be sure you use a wood block or similar on the outside between the clamps and the cabinet so that you don't dent them.

20180106_113413.jpg

I woke up early this morning and since I couldn't sleep, I decided to start this repair.

CECAA850: The joint wouldn't really separate so I couldn't force glue into the joint. The only possibility was to insert glue from the outside and I wasn't about to risk messing up the veneer. However, from the inside I could see which glue joint was loose by flexing the cabinet. I laid a bead of carpenter's glue along both sides of the wood block and flipped the cabinet so the gravity would flow the glue where I wanted it (it was the bottom glue joint that was loose).

When I disassembled the speaker I found a layer of foam around the woofer (remember; I bought the speakers used). Is this foam OEM? I don't think so. Let me know. I'll report back when the glue dries to see if it holds.

Klipsch1.jpg

Klipsch21.jpg

Klipsch31.jpg

Klipsch41.jpg

Klipsch51.jpg

When we were in Hope at the factory I think I saw them putting same foam in the new ones. So probably supposed to be there. I have never opened up a set of IIs so not sure.  While got them apart you could replace capacitors. I would also put glue on all the blocks in both of them. 

Update: The glue cured and while no amount of strapping pressure would completely eliminate the gap in veneer at the angled corner (see photos above), the cabinet no longer flexes with finger pressure, and only a refined eye would notice the flaw. Yeah; there's the oh so slightest misalignment of the cabinet walls but it's on the underside so not noticeable.

Most importantly, they still sound like Heresy's!

My searching revealed the foam around the woofer is in fact OEM installed.

Thanks for reading!