klipschorn on castors

POOKY

Hi I was just wondering, my Klipschorns are on a base as pictured, the base is filled with Kingspan and false corners surrounding them. If I wanted to have them permanently on castors would this affect the sound at all? Any thoughts. Many thanksfullsizeoutput_577d.thumb.jpeg.bf6dd155df605bf39a7724e36b57e402.jpeg

If I

58 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Wheels mounted to the bottom of your insulated platform base probably won't affect the sound, but the perceived sound may change when the speakers are moved to different parts of the room.

I would suggest lockable casters.

If I move all four speakers in or out the same amount to form a square as it is now, just larger or smaller, won't it just get louder or quieter ? Thanks for any help :)

The horns use the adjacent walls and floor to load the woofers.  On casters and using false walls (as long as the bottom of the speaker has a board similar to the top to complete the horn), there should not be a huge effect but there will be some.  Probably only measurable.

Difficult to say.

PWK cautioned against having a cavity under speakers, and was completely against putting them on legs, because of resulting bass loss.  But you would just have a little cavity.  You might install a solid wood "apron" all the way around under the Khorn, hiding the casters and preventing a cavity greater than about 1/16 or 1/8 inch, but the casters had better not have any "give." 

The influence of walls, and the immediate environment, tend to have more of an effect on bass than the rest of the audio spectrum (unless there are significant midrange reflections).   Moving a speaker from out in the room, where some audiophiles used to think they should be placed, to against a wall can increase bass by 3 dB.  Moving the speaker into a corner can provide another 3 dB in the bass.  Some people report greater boundary gain. 

I'd temporarily put some sliders under the K-horns/artificial corners (e.g., one brand is "Moving Men"), which are only about 1/8" thick, then take a few weeks to place the K-horns in the ideal place by ear and by measurement, then mark the floor to indicate their position, and finally remove the sliders.  Many of the speakers on casters we see being used by bands, etc, only go (well) to about 40 Hz.   Our K-horns are smooth to about 35 Hz (with Audyssey) and extend to 24 Hz with very little, if any, doubling.  You want that, unless you have a great subwoofer, and anything other than a horn-loaded one will be flabbier than a Khorn.  So, IMO, you should avoid cavities.

No experience with Khorns on rollers, but put castors on my Forte's ... prob 1/8 to 1/4 clearance ... no difference in sound.  Haha; had to use castors because these are in my (small) stereo room, blocking closets :)  - actually a spare bedroom, but since we live in FL we often have surprise guests.

Cheers, Emile

I have casters on my Heresy, Fortes, Chorus, LaScalas and my Crites Cornscalas. All except the Heresy had risers that help hide the rollers and all had those little factory buttons installed in each corner of the riser or the bottom corners of the speakers that had no risers. I was able to mount the rollers so that the gap under the speaker and the floor was no greater than the gap that existed with the factory buttons. Of course I removed the buttons when I installed the rollers. With the Heresy speakers without risers, I installed a rear skirt having like 1/4" clearance from the bottom edge of the skirt to the floor to prevent bass response loss.

My reasons for going with casters was to make them easy to move, for cleaning under them, and to prevent someone from tilting and "walking" them into position. "Walking" the speakers easily damages the bottom edges.

For the larger speakers, I used 6 rollers per speaker, and I used casters that had a 1" dia ball roller. Of course when I move them across door thresholds, I still have to have the help of another person to keep from damaging the bottom edges, so it doesn't cure every opportunity to damage the bottoms of the speakers, thresholds can still do major damage.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:34 PM, ishwash said:

All except the Heresy had risers that help hide the rollers and all had those little factory buttons installed in each corner of the riser or the bottom corners of the speakers that had no risers. I was able to mount the rollers so that the gap under the speaker and the floor was no greater than the gap that existed with the factory buttons. 

IMO, that's the way to do it and not lose bass.

• Like 1