To "upgrade" networks and tweets in my 1976 Lascala or not?

Jvitti1970

been debating this ever since i got these speakers about 6 months ago.

i have heard many different thoughts and opinions on this. to me these speakers sound awesome so im not sure if the crossovers drift or not.

then is the question of which route to go Crites or ALK?

ANY AND ALL ADVISE ON THIS TOPIC WILL BE APPRECIATED

Pics of the crossovers please

You can change out some of the caps yourself for only a few dollars

You say they sound great as is, but you only have that as a benchmark so it’s impossible for you to know if things will improve

I would just spend a few dollars first with changing a few of the caps and if you like what it’s doing then I would go all out on a set of New crossovers,

I know the ALK crossovers have a way to move a wire or two to change how hot the mid or high is playing. You know. How loud or softly those are playing. For me I like my tweets and mids on the hot side as I have hearing lose above 6khz

And that’s one of many things I like about Klipsch that a lot of people complain about and that is they are sometimes to bright of the higher hz

Here’s a pic of one of his big boy crossover setups , from ALK. Now this is when your going all out and are in the BIG BOYS playground. Lol

9f92e1ce5a714b0e2c8585be86efe098.png

Using my old Khorns as my reference (though I also have ES networks in my LaScalas)

When I had the ALK ES networks in my Khorns....long story short...I discovered the speakers sounded utterly fantastic.....when I was standing 30 feet away (measured).  They sounded as "one voice" but the closer I got to them, the more I could ascertain the different emanations of sound.

So I'd ask it this way to you....  

Do you tend to listen at lower volume?

Do you tend to listen within 10/15 feet of them?

If yes to either or both, then I'm wondering if by design, the more shallow slopes would give you want you want.  If on the other hand, you crank them up and/or, have a huge room where you can be 30 feet away from them then by all means, go steeper slope.

(budget notwithstanding)

• Moderators

I had some that looked worse than yours, yes you need to do something for sure. I just changed the caps and there was a big difference, what direction you go is up to you as far as cost.

I know nothing about caps or designs, good from bad. But the sound was much better, anyone could easily hear the difference. Before and after, mine were really bad but sounded fine, I thought.

speakers after.jpg

speakers b4 (2).jpg

• Like 1