Turntable Advice

luddite

I am deliberating a new turntable purchase.  

My 2 channel system is all older stuff, but good quality (McIntosh SS amps, preamp, and CD player, with Khorns and Belles), really 2 systems I have merged into one.  I have a Thoren 160 HD as my primary turntable, and an original Empire Troubadour II I have kept more for aesthetic reasons.  I got the Empire years ago, but haven't been playing it much.  Now I wonder if a newer turntable like the Rega Planar 3 will be make a noticeable difference with my system.  I would retire/replace/sell the Empire.  It's kind of like a classic car; i hate to get rid of it, but right now it is more or less a decoration.  Any opinions as to whether a 598 has more value as a collector item or as a resale?   

I think you should listen and compare.  Different turntables have different "sounds" and I wouldn't count on a new Rega sounding better than an older Empire, though it might.   Also, the tone arm is often a major factor.  You should listen to the whole setup to compare, IMO.

I have kept the Empire original, including the now 50 year old Shure cartridge.  The original tonearm is high mass.  Everything is in decent shape,  just 1970's technology.  I was more wondering if more modern turntables, cartridges and low mass tonearms had positive effects on sound reproduction.  The amps, preamps, and speakers are circa 1980's, the idea of a "more modern" sound may be moot.

From what I can tell, the 598 was well received in its day, and still has a following in the "vintage" audio circles.  

My question is, would a decent new turntable/tonearm/cartridge setup sound different from a decent or better setup from 50 years ago?  

I guess it's like wondering if a 2018 Chevy would drive better than a 1975 Caddy.  Maybe not a good analogy.  

Just seems to me that things would have improved over the years.  

Not that anyone would.....but please don’t take what I say as gospel. I don’t know a lot about vintage empire turntables. But as one who has rebuilt and refurbished a number of vintage turntables I would venture a guess that the guts of that Empire are dramatically better than any entry level rega, project, music hall, whatever option. All of those tts will sound good but I venture to say that your empire could smoke them all. 

I say this thinking that you would have the desire and time to spend figuring out how to upgrade that table. I imagine the weak point would be the tone arm. Researching what to earn could work and what the arm board and plinth options would be is a time consuming but fun thing to do. In fact just writing this has gets my blood moving!  On second thought sell me the empire and buy some cheap replacement. !  

• Thanks 2

On 10/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, luddite said:

I am deliberating a new turntable purchase.  

My 2 channel system is all older stuff, but good quality (McIntosh SS amps, preamp, and CD player, with Khorns and Belles), really 2 systems I have merged into one.  I have a Thoren 160 HD as my primary turntable, and an original Empire Troubadour II I have kept more for aesthetic reasons.  I got the Empire years ago, but haven't been playing it much.  Now I wonder if a newer turntable like the Rega Planar 3 will be make a noticeable difference with my system.  I would retire/replace/sell the Empire.  It's kind of like a classic car; i hate to get rid of it, but right now it is more or less a decoration.  Any opinions as to whether a 598 has more value as a collector item or as a resale?   

If you want to improve your sound look for a better cartridge in your price range. Doing a sideways swap for a newer table will not garner near as much improvement as a better cartridge. You already have a couple decent tables. to get a better sound from the tables you will need to spend more than a rega can do. IMHO Your tables are pretty much on par with the P-3

• Like 1