center channel advice

anyirons

I have a Sansui 9090 running a pair of Klipschorns and a Belle center. Have been using an Audioplex Monomixer hooked to the B speaker output for the center channel.
Was told by someone who's opinion I respect that this might not be the best way to go about getting a mono center channel. It was suggested I jump off the pre outs of the 9090 to a mono amp. I have read for days and see different thoughts on this.

My question is if this was your system how would YOU do it?

50 minutes ago, anyirons said:

I have a Sansui 9090 running a pair of Klipschorns and a Belle center. Have been using an Audioplex Monomixer hooked to the B speaker output for the center channel.
Was told by someone who's opinion I respect that this might not be the best way to go about getting a mono center channel. It was suggested I jump off the pre outs of the 9090 to a mono amp. I have read for days and see different thoughts on this.

My question is if this was your system how would YOU do it?

The third (center) channel should be composed of signals from both of the other channels, not just one.

Is there a center channel pre-out on the Sansui?  Some units of that period had them.  If so, come out of that and into a separate power amp, then to the center speaker.  Another way to do this is with an AVR that will mix the channels for a center out.

Here is Paul Klipsch's way.  It replaces an earlier version that would no longer be appropriate.  Part 1 is for 3 channels, Part 2 is for 5 channels (two behind the listener).  As you can see, separate channels of power amplification are necessary for the first three channels.  Keep scrolling down for both diagrams.  Wait to hear from some of our more well informed electronics guys to see if the wiring for the 4th and 5th channels is safe with modern equipment -- this Dope from Hope was written 47 years ago!

http://assets.klipsch.com/files/Dope_710706_v11n3.pdf?_ga=2.85879321.1200925193.1537687567-797547607.1525991139

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anyirons said:

Have been using an Audioplex Monomixer hooked to the B speaker output for the center channel.

That seems to be an effective way to power your center channel speaker, if the link below is for your unit. You may want to measure the summed impedance of the left (or right speaker) plus the Mono Mixer and center speaker wired in parallel. If the resistance is lower than your receiver's lowest rating (4 ohms ?), you should probably wire the left speaker and the respective left input wires to the Mono Mixer in a series circuit, and the same for the right channel.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/536343/Audioplex-Mono-Mixer-Series.html