Klipschorn 2-way driver choice

RAzZin

Greetings everyone,

I'm thinking about building 2-way klipshorns instead of my Cornscalas, and I'd be helpful for some help with mid-highs driver choice. 

I'm going to use the following:

- Crites CW1526C woofers;

- ALK ES-400 crossovers;

- Tractrix fc260 horns;

- Faital Pro driver - haven't decided yet which one.

There are 3 drivers available:

- well known Faital Pro HF200

- Faital Pro HF20AT that has excellent reviews

- Faital Pro HF2000 - seems to be a new model since I can barely find any reviews.

So, questions are:

1. Is HF20AT really better than HF200?

2. Did someone tested HF2000?

3. Any alternatives around 1000 USD \ pair? TADs seem to be great but I can't afford these :(

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by RAzZin
spelling

5 hours ago, moray james said:

EVDH1A compression drivers can be had for very little these days they are superb drivers. nominal 2" exit.

Hmm can these give a flat freq response crossed at 400hz? https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/DH1A DH1A-16 EDS.pdf - if I look into curves here it seems that it's barely possible..

Also I'd like to use new drivers rather than used ones, so the question about Faitals is still on the table )

2 hours ago, RAzZin said:

Hmm can these give a flat freq response crossed at 400hz? https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/DH1A DH1A-16 EDS.pdf - if I look into curves here it seems that it's barely possible..

Also I'd like to use new drivers rather than used ones, so the question about Faitals is still on the table )

The issue is the 400hz crossover required because the bass horn dies a little lower.  Significant information posted over the past almost 20 yrs (OH MY!!!) of this forum on the subject.

The HF20AT appears to be discontinued. 

The HF2000 is their best driver. At least, it curves the best on the horn they used for the test. 

You have the right pieces to make it an interesting experiment. You will probably have a small dip in your response near the crossover region. 

9 hours ago, RAzZin said:

They are a large format driver with a three inch diaphragm and were designed to be crossed with a passive network at 500Hz in a pro loudspeaker so if you go active and uses a steep slope then 400Hz at home levels is not going to be an issue. You can purchase new diaphragms for the DH1A if you want. EV uses this exact same diaphragm in their new Neo version of the DH1A. Install new diaphragms and you have a brand new driver. The DH1A is a monster driver it puts out more acoustical watts in its band than a JBL 2226 woofer does in its band width. Take a look and tell me what drivers you can find today that were designed for use in a two way with a 500Hz, crossover and see what they will cost you new then see if they can match the EV DH1A. I don't know of any that are as well built and designed. The wide range large format driver is a hard animal to find today it is just not in demand much any more with designers opting to save money and go multi way with less expensive drivers.

• Like 1

I ran 3 EV DH1As in my last setup with JBL 2360s, and will be running them again in a 7 channel setup of 3 K402 MEHs, and 4 small 18x10 horns. They are the best bang for your buck IMO. I have been able to pick them up for around $90-$100 a pop plus shipping on ebay. A lot of shippers jack up the shipping, but ask them if they will ship them to you in Priority mail flat rate boxes as they fit perfectly, and are much cheaper to ship. Out of 7 that I have bought, or a friend has bought none of them had any problems. These drivers are built like a tank, and last a long time!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Deang said:

The HF20AT appears to be discontinued. 

The HF2000 is their best driver. At least, it curves the best on the horn they used for the test. 

You have the right pieces to make it an interesting experiment. You will probably have a small dip in your response near the crossover region. 

Well a Faital Pro official dealer in my area took an order on HF20AT with ~6 weeks delivery time so probably Faital keeps these either in stock still or can produce if ordered. I'll post here when I receive the order. HF20AT seems to be a little bit flatter than HF2000 from the measurements Faital provides, also it's about choosing a well known driver vs barely tested one, so.. :)

I'm using DSP in Roon so I can adjust freq response curve a bit. I'll post initial measurements and final ones when it's ready (i think - February - March 2019).

1 hour ago, Zim. said:

I spoke with FaitalPro (J. Longobardo) yesterday on another matter but this topic was mentioned in passing.  The HF20AT is discontinued/out of production.  There are a few, perhaps a couple dozen, in Europe (warehouse)  that are headed to the US shortly.  That's it, no more from FaitalPro.

Hmm maybe I'm lucky enough to get a last pair from their Europe warehouse then ) Or I'll have to switch to HF2000, it seems to be a nice driver as well. Thanks for the info anyway.

8 hours ago, RAzZin said:

Hmm maybe I'm lucky enough to get a last pair from their Europe warehouse then ) Or I'll have to switch to HF2000, it seems to be a nice driver as well. Thanks for the info anyway.

why purchase a drive which is all ready out of production? How long are diaphragms going to be available? Might be a plan to purchase a set of diaphragms as a safe back up. You may never need them but better have them than have to change drivers later because you cannot find them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moray james said:

why purchase a drive which is all ready out of production? How long are diaphragms going to be available? Might be a plan to purchase a set of diaphragms as a safe back up. You may never need them but better have them than have to change drivers later because you cannot find them.

Hmm I think FaitalPro is a trustworthy manufacturer who keeps spare parts for discontinued products for years as they are obliged by law 😉

The reasons I want to choose HF20AT are written above - these are well known drivers that will provide good result for sure, it was tested by many users. I don't want to be a guinea pig testing new product, I'm not an engineer, I want to get a proper result from the 1st try (well from a 2nd try since I already have Cornscalas built and running), so atm I want to use well tested  parts only. 

still a good idea to purchase that set of back up diaphragms now while you can and while the price is lower as scarcity will always drive up the price on available parts. Besides if you ever do sell your drivers then you have the bonus of having back up parts to go with them making them much more attractive/valuable.

• Like 2

instead of a two way Khorn I would suggest going three ways with following combination.

you have the woofs already. those are O.K

Faital pro HMF200 or B&C DCM50 (I would not suggest to use BMS 4592)

Faital Pro HF10AK with a Faital Pro STH100 horn or 18Sound XT120 Horn

• Like 1