TUBA HT Amp ?

joessportster

Hello Again

As I have 2 tuba subs setting static, and I have opened up an output on my pre do you guys with practical experience believe the sub amp out of an old klipsch SW350 would be sufficient power for the TUBA (Only plan to run a single for music augmentation below 40 hz) according to specs the amp delivers 350 WPC.  

Joe

Tuba sub does not need a lot of power. I ran one that had the Dayton Audio 15” mkII with a small 100 watt amp and it was pretty good
But then I used a Yamaha p5000s in mono and WOW , then it showed me what it could really do. Best thing is just hook it up and hear what it sound like. And pay attention to any distortion that may show up at higher volume levels and if you start hearing that then you know your starting to clip the Amp
What driver are you using and what’s its power ratings for rms and Peak power ?

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

Hello Again

As I have 2 tuba subs setting static, and I have opened up an output on my pre do you guys with practical experience believe the sub amp out of an old klipsch SW350 would be sufficient power for the TUBA (Only plan to run a single for music augmentation below 40 hz) according to specs the amp delivers 350 WPC.  

Joe

You're kidding, right? 20 watts driving a Tuba should shake your house and flex your windows.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I am not sure what drivers Joem38 (I Think I have the name right) used in these, I bought them from him already built. He did not elaborate on driver used he was happy enough to rattle his floors as a demo and I was happy to haul them home.  I just pulled the driver outta the sw350 to test the waters, ran a patch cord to the Tuba and have the crossover set around 50Hz.  Sounds pretty good so far...........

40 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Thanks for all the replies, I am not sure what drivers Joem38 (I Think I have the name right) used in these, I bought them from him already built. He did not elaborate on driver used he was happy enough to rattle his floors as a demo and I was happy to haul them home.  I just pulled the driver outta the sw350 to test the waters, ran a patch cord to the Tuba and have the crossover set around 50Hz.  Sounds pretty good so far...........

Like Claude said, power should not be a concern.

Using a standard plate amp crossed over @ 50 Hz i bet the sub does not start rolling off until 75 Hz or higher depending on crossover slope.

Likely you will need a 36-48 dB/octave slope filter set much lower to accomplish the task of 40 Hz crossover point mentioned in first post.

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

Feels & sounds Pretty good, the floor and couch are vibrating quite nicely, the wife commented from the kitchen a couple times, and the boys were startled by the bass impact :) 

Welcome to the club. BTW, the 18" subs I got from you years ago are now rocking a house 7.2 HT in Cleveland with 3-Super Heresy's in front and 4 Klipsch KPT 200 surrounds!

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Welcome to the club. BTW, the 18" subs I got from you years ago are now rocking a house 7.2 HT in Cleveland with 3-Super Heresy's in front and 4 Klipsch KPT 200 surrounds!

I remember those subs, HEAVY Bas#$%ds..........They sure would thump though..............Sounds like someone in Ohio has a very nice HT