WTB: Oris Horn

Rudy81

6 hours ago, rplace said:

:emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21: Keep the Foxtex and sell Rudy and I the horns :cool: Fingers crossed for one of us winning. We can buy a lot of drivers with 300 Million or whatever it is up to.

On a serious note how do you like the Fostex? Any others you have tried? I've had both Tang Band and Audio Nirvana neodymium. The AN bested the TB in my book. Seems like Rudy like his AN in the Alnico flavor over TB as well. I'm still learning a lot but as each day goes by I'm thinking more and more the Khorns are on the chopping bock.

What are you using for bass bins? Now I've really hijacked Rudy. Maybe we need an Oris with Klipsch thread. I've tried mine with Khorns, Belle, Onken + 10" drivers and for the moment have settled on a Forte II with everything disabled besides the 12/15" active/passive.

Build the H Frames with the emminence alpha 15 a pro. Trust me you will not turn back. I have had every bass unit you mention above plus a few more supposed highly praised units and I can say without any hesitation the H-Frame has stomped all others guts out period..................... the build is super easy and the drivers are under 80.00 each for under 200 you will have the best bass available to go with the Oris horns.  Plus you already have the exact bass amp I am using.

Rudy knows......................

• Thanks 1

Yes sir, I do!  I love the open baffle sound.  I built my H frames with eminence Kappalites since I had those on hand. They actually are not "ideal" for an OB design, but they work very well.  The sound of an OB is like nothing I have heard before.  Clean and clear.  No free lunch, of course, so you can only go so low.  That is where all my subs come in.  Frankly, I started out doing the OB thing because I couldn't believe that a plain board with a hole and driver in it would actually work. Just amazing stuff when you dig in.

I have built and tried many OB designs. Taken measurements and listened quite a bit to the various builds.  The H frame was the best I could build while trying to balance performance and frequency range.  I did build some types that had better LF, but they lacked range and didn't sound quite as good as the very simple OB H frame. My center channel is still a plain old OB!  Sounds great.  The whole Oris thing was to try and fully match my other main speakers.  Not viable though, due to size.  I will have to stay with the OB or look at some type of DIY low profile horn. There are not many options for 8" drivers.  I once built a horn to mimic a Lowther 'top hat' horn, but it didn't sound good. Back to the wood shop I guess.

With an Oris, the OB H frame is an excellent option. Super easy build!!!

If you are unusre, you can take scrap plywood and build a prototype in 30 minutes.  It's amazing just how good an OB sounds.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rplace said:

If I win the lottery today AER drivers for all of you Oris lovers! :emotion-21: Sorry for the thread crap, figured Rudy and Joe would want in on my generosity.

I have AER MD3 in my Oris horns... and also have a pair of Lowther PM2As... AER 8" drivers can use the surrounds that Lowther uses... I have replaced the surrounds on my AER drivers with them and have no issues.. there are some youtube videos that show how to do it.. take your time and its possible...

11 hours ago, awsjr said:

I have AER MD3 in my Oris horns... and also have a pair of Lowther PM2As... AER 8" drivers can use the surrounds that Lowther uses... I have replaced the surrounds on my AER drivers with them and have no issues.. there are some youtube videos that show how to do it.. take your time and its possible...

Where did you get original lowther surrounds ?  Was that when Jon Ver Hoven  was still running lowther america ?

12 hours ago, joessportster said:

Where did you get original lowther surrounds ?  Was that when Jon Ver Hoven  was still running lowther america ?

hi Joe... from a guy in CA years ago... yes Jon was still the Lowther rep at the time...

~$90 for a set of surrounds, spider foam and another piece...

with the removable diffusers its easy to shim the voice coil and keep alignment...