How should I set up these speakers?

btl2

I was hoping to get a little advice on how I should arrange my speaker setup. I'm using a Marantz NR1609 as my AVR. I have a set of RP280FA, RP450C for center and R1650 in my ceiling directly over my listening area. The 1609 allows an atmos setup so what speakers should I use as the height speakers? The 1650s or the atmos speakers in the 280FA? I appreciate any advice.

BTW: I also have a set of B&W 601s and a set of RF10s that I could move around if the current speakers are not a good mix for atmos setup.

I mean I would definitely use the ones in the 280 or else buying the FA model was a waste. With that said I would use all 4 I guess. In my opinion, about the only thing ceiling speakers are good for would be height based channels. So I'd utilize one of the other sets you have as surrounds and set it up as a 5.4 Atmos system. Run your room correction stuff and it will configure both pairs of Atmos channels in order to get the most from them. 

21 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

I would definitely use the ones in the 280 or else buying the FA model was a waste. With that said I would use all 4

If I am reading correctly the Atmos modules and his ceiling speakers are both in the same spot in the front and his Marantz 1609 will only support 2 Atmos speakers.  To put the question a slightly different way, is a direct radiating Atmos ceiling speaker better than a reflected speaker?

My answer is "I don't know" because I don't have Atmos and I'm not well versed in what works best.  Some Atmos guys will hopefully weigh in with some good answers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If I am reading correctly the Atmos modules and his ceiling speakers are both in the same spot in the front.  To put the question a slightly different way, is a direct radiating Atmos ceiling speaker better than a reflected speaker?

My answer is "I don't know" because I don't have Atmos and I'm not well versed in what works best.  Some Atmos guys will hopefully weigh in with some good answers.

Actually, the in ceiling speakers are slightly behind the sitting area while the 280FAs are in the front. I have them all connected. I will play around with the setup a bit more. I watched GOTG (DTS:X, I believe) and the sound-field was active and impressive. I did run Audyessy but it gives a couple of choices in terms of speaker placement. I was hoping someone had a similar experience. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what I find to be the best set up.

6 minutes ago, btl2 said:

Actually, the in ceiling speakers are slightly behind the sitting area while the 280FAs are in the front. I have them all connected.

Your 1609 is 7.1 so I thought your options would be 5.1 plus either 2 Atmos, or 2 Height.

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=NR1609

What other options does the Marantz give you, and how are you running all four height speakers now?

Other:  If you like the sound you are hearing in your current setup, that sounds like that's the way to go.  I am using a Marantz with a 5.1 setup and an unconventional Height speaker, the dual side-firing RS-62 sitting on top of RF-83's.  It looks a bit strange but it sounds great to my ears.  :)

Ok yeah I missed the whole Marantz NR1609 thing. So you're limited to 5.2 as far as Atmos is concerned. So I assume you're using the Atmos channels in your 280FA and then just using the ceiling channels as rear surrounds? Hey if it sounds good and is immersive then go on with ya bad self haha. Personally I would forgo the ceiling channels and just place some ear level speakers behind you and continue to use the Atmos channels in the 280FA for your height. But at the same time, as far as Atmos is concerned, nothing beats having a direct speaker over head as opposed to bouncing it off the ceiling. It kinda sucks because the dedicated ceiling channels would most certainly provide a better Atmos experience but then you're wasting the Atmos channels in your expensive 280FA towers, essentially turning them into an overpriced 280.