Any TV repair techs here?

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a 2.5 year old Samsung UN55-JS8500 and the picture stopped working.  I have sound and the back lights work. 

I got a T Con board from Ebay and when I put it in, the backlights stopped, so maybe it is bad (two bad boards?) The backlights work with the old board, and if I disconnect the output to the LEDs the backlights work with the new board. 

I also checked the main board output to the T Con board and there are about 20 or so nodes.  Only the first cluster of 8 are showing voltages.  The rest are at zero with the TV on.   

Where can I get a service manual or can anyone help me through this? 

I am assuming that it is either the T Con board or the main board, or both. 

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I have a 2.5 year old Samsung UN55-JS8500 and the picture stopped working.  I have sound and the back lights work. 

I got a T Con board from Ebay and when I put it in, the backlights stopped, so maybe it is bad (two bad boards?) The backlights work with the old board, and if I disconnect the output to the LEDs the backlights work with the new board. 

I also checked the main board output to the T Con board and there are about 20 or so nodes.  Only the first cluster of 8 are showing voltages.  The rest are at zero with the TV on.   

Where can I get a service manual or can anyone help me through this? 

I am assuming that it is either the T Con board or the main board, or both. 

You forgot about 21st century troubleshooting---throw it away and buy another one.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only this. I have a Samsung too. Can't remember which model. So far so good. It's been about 6(?) years, knock on wood. I have heard Samsung had quality problems with some capacitors in the past. Of course at the unit level you just want to know which board to replace or is it the LED screen itself. I started watching some youtube vids yesterday when you first posted, there's a lot out there as you probably well know. I could not find a source for a service manual, which sucks. Perhaps it just requires more digging.(Call Samsung?) Sorry I can't be any more help. But I know when mine goes out I'll be getting into it. I do not agree with the "it only cost $1500, so after 2 years buy another" B.S.

My comments were based on the following assumptions:

1...Assuming you have to procure the proper test equipment

2...Assuming you have to procure the schematic diagrams

3...Assuming the schematics haven't put in their own version of symbols for electronic parts which foreign made stuff does

4...Assuming all of the proper voltages and waveforms are on the schematics

5...Assuming that new parts are not available

6...Assuming that your flogging a dead horse technology wise

JJK

Here was my experience with Samsung when my 59" plasma took a dump.

Pay close attention to the posts on page 4 of the thread.

My advice, bug the fool out of Samsung but be very polite.  Have all your info, documents, etc. organized.  Don't give up.

Your TV may have available replacement parts and is repairable but I was not so fortunate in that area.

Bill

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

My comments were based on the following assumptions:

1...Assuming you have to procure the proper test equipment

2...Assuming you have to procure the schematic diagrams

3...Assuming the schematics haven't put in their own version of symbols for electronic parts which foreign made stuff does

4...Assuming all of the proper voltages and waveforms are on the schematics

5...Assuming that new parts are not available

6...Assuming that your flogging a dead horse technology wise

JJK

If you look on Youtube, these TV's are very easy to fix if you know what part is bad.  There are only 3 or 4 boards and they are inexpensive on ebay. 

Mine has the classic symptoms of a bad T Con board, but that did not work.  But i think that the replacement T Con board is bad. 

If the LED's are out, that is another matter. 

And the TV is only a few years old and a higher end model.  I really like it, especially the remote, and do no want to replace.