Denon 4400H...Not loud enough??

Gclayton

7 hours ago, garyrc said:

Thanks to some audiophiles gathering some data, the 2 channel spec may not be completely useless.  For 5.1 they found that 5 channels were each powered at about 70% to 80% of the 2 channel rating.  I haven't seen any results for 7.1 or 9.1.

that's interesting.  i've also been told another rough estimate is to look at the total wattage consumption, and divide that by the number of channels.  that Denon AVRX4400H consumes 710 watts...

20 hours ago, rebuy said:

Well, he said it's his first ever audio system of this type.

Some people do have problems getting them set up, it ain't a phone.

He's on a learning curve.

Haha no kidding! I’ve been messing around with but I just got the rears mounted and I’m going to hook them up today and re-do the Audssey setup 

Where are you located? I am sure someone local might be able to come over and assist with the setup, if this next round of troubleshooting doesn’t produce the desired results.

There are a bunch of knowledgeable and generous members on this forum, that are always willing to help. Some crazies, like me, might even enjoy helping for their own benefits because every new system I have ever setup, I have learned something. With that said, I still think I am leaving plenty on the table, when it comes to tweaking. When I move into my forever home, I am going to hire a home theater company to come out and calibrate everything so I know my money invested is being capitalized.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, Gclayton said:

I got everything hooked up this past weekend and it seems like I have to turn up to 75-80% volume for it to be somewhat loud.

Would there be a reason I have to turn it up so much? Is that expected?

I was expecting a little more boom with a little less effort.

YES!  It IS expected!  There is a reason why you have to turn it up so much.

This is probably your first modern AVR in years.  You need to know, things HAVE changed.  It used to be if you turned up your receiver even a quarter or halfway the sound would blast you out of the room.  With these new AVR's turning it up to 50 is barely conversational level.

Nowdays you need to get to 60 or 70 to have decent volume.  That's because your AVR probably uses 82 as reference level, so at 72 you are down 10 db from reference, 62 db your are down 20 db.  To test this turn it up to 82 or 90 and see if the sound doesn't blast you out of the room.  I bet it will, meaning your AVR and speakers will kick butt in stock configuration.

Your Denon is fine, your speakers are fine, you are fine.  Once you get used to the "new normal" on the dial you will really enjoy that new setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

This is probably your first modern AVR in years.  You need to know, things HAVE changed.  It used to be if you turned up your receiver even a quarter or halfway the sound would blast you out of the room.  With these new AVR's turning it up to 50 is barely conversational level.

Haha ... brilliant :D 

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Bruce Ramsay said:

Press option button on your remote and then channel level adjust.  Raise volume on the speakers you want.

Mind if I ask why you're offering this advice almost three and a half years after the original post?

• Haha 1