(KG4's) Recap or New x-overs ?

Kenny_G

Wanting to do a recap on my KG4's, Crites sells a recap kit & complete new cross-overs. Is there really that noticeable of a difference doing the complete new cross-over instead of doing just the re-cap kit ? The cost is considerably more for new cross-overs, I don't mind spending the extra money if it's really worth it. Also, soldering isn't an issue for me so doing the re-cap kit isn't a problem. I already have the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, haven't installed them yet.

I haven't actually done an A+B test, but I'll try to do a fair explanation. Doing a cap refresh with his kit will put the crossovers essentially back to stock. If you buy his complete crossovers, that would be considered an upgrade. He builds his crossovers to factory specs/conditions, but he builds his on large boards instead of small circuit boards. This allows him to use bigger/better parts on the crossovers instead of the small/cheap parts from the factory. In the end, the choice is yours. You may notice a huge difference, you might not notice anything at all.

• Thanks 1

for your speakers there would be little to no gain in performance from doing a recap vs the built units.  if you can solder you can just recap them.  & you can use many other brands of caps that will sound just as good, they dont need to be 2-3 times the size of the stock caps.  myself & many others have said before, the main benefit of recapping is replacing the cheap & old stock caps with new & better materials, you will hear improvements even with dayton type caps that cost a few bucks a piece.  but by all means if you can afford the more expensive caps then more power to you, just dont get hung up thinking you have to use one certain brand or pay more than necessary.   

7 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

for your speakers there would be little to no gain in performance from doing a recap vs the built units. 

Mostly because it's a two-way, and the cones don't have enough resolving power to let you hear the difference. Compression drivers/horns are very revealing and unforgiving, cones are not.

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Mostly because it's a two-way, and the cones don't have enough resolving power to let you hear the difference. Compression drivers/horns are very revealing and unforgiving, cones are not.

i dont doubt that at all.  but the fact still remains that replacing the old/cheap stock caps with even entry level poly caps will be the biggest improvement for the average speaker/system.  

Just an FYI.  Recently installed Crites X/O's & Ti Diaphrams in my KG4's.  Personally considered it quite a SQ improvement.  Smoother highs and tighter bass through out.  Will be ordering the same for my recently acquired Quartets. 

KG4 x_o .eml

Hmm...  Don't know what happened.  Pic didn't load right.  Sorry

lol. My 17 year old daughter says she can't hear the difference between my system upstairs (Radian Coaxials) and my LaScalas in the basement.

My oldest daughter, who grew up watching me do all of this stuff, asked me what I did when I put silver speaker cables into the system. But she spent a lot of time in front of that system -- she could normally tell when I changed something.

• Like 1

there are a lot of possible reasons why someone might not hear a difference when replacing old crossover caps but that does not mean that a difference was not made. Never the less changing out very old caps is a good idea for a purely maintenance point of view, any time after thirty years is a wise plan. If you have a hi rez system you don't need to wait that long to enjoy the improvement, capacitor technology is fast moving.