Brother, can you spare a Billion? (Mega Millions talk)

wvu80

OK, I need your help.  I don't gamble but if we talk about it then it's not gambling, it's entertainment and I can justify spending two bucks for a ticket. 

The Mega Millions is up to nearly a Billion on Friday.  Technically it's 900 million, but what does a hundred million difference mean to guys like us?

http://www.megamillions.com/

What would you do with the $513 million lump sum payout?

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Technically it's 900 million, but what does a hundred million difference mean to guys like us?

For me it would mean I would at least know where my next hundred million was coming from. :o

But really I have NO experience with problems like that, maby I could get that new receiver I was looking at. :lol:

Truth is you would never hear from my sorry azz again, I would be traveling full time and to busy relaxing to post here. :blush: We donate $2 to the state like that a couple times a year at the most.

Go for it, you might be the one ?

• Haha 1

Buy a new butt mine's cracked....says the 12 year old in me.

I can see both sides of the argument. You can't win if you don't play and the lottery is a tax on people that are bad at math. You pick. Personally I just jetted out to the local store to buy a ticket. If all goes well I'll have my own pilot soon and really be jetting around. I see not point in buying multiple tickets. The chance of you wining with zero tickets to 1 is a huge leap. The chances from 1 to 100 is not very much.

Good luck all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

Personally I just jetted out to the local store to buy a ticket.

You already beat the odds.

According to the statistics you have a greater chance of being killed driving in your car to go to buy your ticket than you do of actually hitting the lottery.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You could have your manservant post for you.  B)

It wouldn't be a manservant for sure, female, but really wouldn't want anyone around that much either way.

After taking care of the kids we would be gone.

1 minute ago, rplace said:

I see not point in buying multiple tickets

True, I think they say you have a much better chance of being hit by lightning than winning. 

Or they say you have a better chance of walking up to the average a coke machine to get a drink and having it fall on you and kill you. 

But neither pay as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You already beat the odds.

According to the statistics you have a greater chance of being killed driving in your car to go to buy your ticket than you do of actually hitting the lottery.

Had I been killed driving it would have been a win for my wife in life insurance...not quite the payoff, but something none the less.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

What would you do with the $513 million lump sum payout?

I'd hire a staff to gather information on worthy charities, emphasizing social change for the "better," ecological reclamation, empowerment of the poor, etc.  I like the MacArthur foundation's goals of "a more just, verdant, and peaceful world," except I suspect that justice is not in the skill set of our species.  

I'd put a few million into a family fund, and use the rest as outlined above.    Oh, and an all Jube HT/musicc room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

I'd put a few million into a family fund, and use the rest as outlined above.    Oh, and an all Jube HT/musicc room.

LOL!  That last line made me laugh out loud!

So, with your hundreds of millions, you would take care of the poor, the downtrodden, you would take care of your family...and have an all Jube room for yourself!

Gotta have priorities!   :emotion-21:  :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Bought 20 mega, 20 powerball.  If you don't play, you can't win.

Hey, start your own Powerball thread! 

/jk  :P

+++

The Powerball is up to a third of a billion but really,  I wouldn't waste my time, it's only 199 million payout.  Who can live on a 20% of a billion anymore?

The drawing is in 3 hours Jim.  How do you plan to spend your millions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still question through the cobwebs of my mind the system of air ball selection by computer. I always remember the doping of the numbers scandal years ago.

You know like the head guys saying "Well we haven't been in the money lately so lets load the 1 billion program into the machine."

JJK

I play one of the California Lottery games (SuperLottoPlus) to the tune of $1 per game (2 games a week = $104/per year) and have been doing so ever since the lottery was legalized here in 1987. I've played the same 6 numbers since I started (one of the numbers is my age, so that one changes every year).

I do it not because I expect to win or because I'm bad at math (which I'm not), but so that when I every so often dream of being truly rich I have a one in 41 million chance of that dream coming true, twice a week. ('Cause believe you me, that's the ONLY way I'll ever be truly rich.) That one in 41 million chance is worth $104 a year to me.

• Like 2