Brother, can you spare a Billion? (Mega Millions talk)

wvu80

First of all, nobody hit the Power Ball so its up to half a billion.

And if you need more incentive to buy a Mega Millions ticket the jackpot just rose from $900 to $970 million.

I would find a use for the extra 70 mil.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

First of all, nobody hit the Power Ball so its up to half a billion.

And if you need more incentive to buy a Mega Millions ticket the jackpot just rose from $900 to $970 million.

I would find a use for the extra 70 mil.

Yes the Klipsch Museum of Audio History, fully tax deductable and we will name a building after you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Thought of that already if I were lucky, a big donation, then pay a couple people to help move things along faster, then quit until I had time again, if ever.

The money could easily replace me in a second and get much more done.  

What I would like to see is a nice metal building in the museum backyard that would extend the museum and have different listening rooms, that the museum owned. And a patio on the front with some nice places to sit including under the Pecan trees. To me, that would be the perfect situation to add to the original building.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, dtel said:

Thought of that already if I were lucky, a big donation, then pay a couple people to help move things along faster, then quit until I had time again, if ever.

The money could easily replace me in a second and get much more done.  

What I would like to see is a nice metal building in the museum backyard that would extend the museum and have different listening rooms, that the museum owned. And a patio on the front with some nice places to sit including under the Pecan trees. To me, that would be the perfect situation to add to the original building.

I'm  building a 5 story, 75,000 sq ft. building up over and all around the original building, including a Chief Bonehead movie theater with liquid cooled laser projector and the whole works, a rooftop helipad,  whirlpool and the Luquet Tiki Bar

• Like 1

Way back when California 1st started with scratcher tickets the mrs would by a lottery ticket each time she’d do the weekend food shopping.  She came home from one such trip very upset. She’d allowed a store clerk to buy his single purchase ahead of her, he also bought a lottery ticket. Yup - it was a $100,000 winner. That was during the 80’s. Oh well..............

Later in life the same mrs worked with a gal who’d won one of these huge lottery amounts. The girl bought every home on the block where she grew up. That was in San Clemente California. The girl made insane offers to buy the houses of folks not interested in selling and eventually got to her goal. The mrs helped arrange mtg financing according to the wishes of the girls legal advisors. To each their own.

I'm a little disappointed the MM jackpot seems to be stuck at $970 mil.  You'd think the lottery officials would throw in a few paltry more 30 million to make it an even 1 bil.

Even in this booming economy it's hard for a family to make it on one billion any more.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I'm a little disappointed the MM jackpot seems to be stuck at $970 mil.  You'd think the lottery officials would throw in a few paltry more 30 million to make it an even 1 bil.

Even in this booming economy it's hard for a family to make it on one billion any more.

A billions here, a billion there and pretty soon your into some real money.

JJK

9 minutes ago, JJkizak said:
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

A billions here, a billion there and pretty soon your into some real money.  -JJK

OK, I'm beginning to get interested in really winning this thing.  Friday at noon the jackpot just went to 1.00 B.  Look at the pic below, two decimal points is attempting to picture that as 100 Billion.  Clever.

The drawing is tonight.

http://www.megamillions.com/

Mega billions.PNG

13 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes the Klipsch Museum of Audio History, fully tax deductable and we will name a building after you

I can see it now:

The JBCODD Port a Potty. Deluxe accommodations, wheelchair access, padded seat and AC.

All derping aside, the Museum contribution is not a bad idea. Good luck to all.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A few years ago our neighbor won 1 million, we were on a cruise together when he found out. He didn't tell us he won until a couple weeks later, they found out when their daughter called them on the ship. That sucker let me buy the drinks that week whenever we were together, like on land. They moved a year later to a smaller house saying they wanted to downsize and not have as much yard to take care of, his wife's idea even though he did the yard work, he is 10 years old than me. 

He is now sorry they sold and has not been the same since, he loved his property which had a metal building for a shop 24'x 30' where he did woodworking and welding for fun, plus stored his tractor. His brother still lives very close to us and we see him at least once a week, he says his brother is not happy at all since the wife talked him into moving, he watches TV and little else now. He even tried to buy the house back and the new owners refused. The money was not a big deal for them but moving was, they gave much of it to there kids, they both did very well in retirement but now he's miserable, his brother says he was a dumbass for selling his house he loved so much to do what his wife wanted. 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:
13 hours ago, dtel said:

The money could easily replace me in a second and get much more done 

You're irreplaceable. 

At home at least, cutting grass, fixing things and cooking, but still, the extra money could fix all of that in a second. Now the only real problem would be someone would have to show Christy how to turn on the music, she has no clue and doesn't want to learn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so some general numbers.

You win a billion

If the payout is 50% (since I have no idea)  You then have

$500,000,000

If you lose say, 25% to taxes you now have

$375,00,000

If you have 6% state tax:

$352,500,000

Put 10% into your checking account ($35,000,000 that's 35 million) to "blow" and have fun...get your family, neighbors US Klipsch-heads (snicker) off your back

Leaves you with:

$317,250,000

Put into (your state) tax free muni bonds...  varying months at 2%  (I've not looked to see where actual rates are but for the scale, it won't really matter)

This gets you $6,345,000 per year....double tax free (no federal, no state tax)

Or $528,750 per month tax free

Or $17,625 per day tax free  (and don't forget you already booked 35 MILLION into your checking account "for fun")

Put that i your Jubilee's and smoke it!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

It's not the cables silly, it's the cable risers......

Your right, with that kind of money I would, plus the magic crystals and the special wall receptacle to plug in everything in. 

Probably just order a quart of 🐍 oil to rub everything down with. :emotion-21: