Maybe the 2nd best way to clean vinyl

joshnich

Decided to start an additional vinyl cleaning thread around ultrasound cleaning. The "Best" vinyl cleaning thread is awesome and specific to the TAA home brew concoction so rather than muddy that, having a place to discuss what maybe the 2nd best way to clean ( note I do not mention preserve) vinyl would be a good thing!
The thought of mixing up a chemical soup and applying and peeling was interesting but in the end I know I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Also, I don't have any really dirty records. I don't collect to the extent that Dave does and have always taken care of the records I have. I have pretty much stopped buying old records unless I find something that is really interesting. For these reasons I was interested in ultrasonic cleaning. I put together a very affordable option with the vinyl stack motorized unit and a Chinese ultrasound unit off amazon. Have only cleaned a few records and have to say it works very well.
I would be interested in others experience with ultrasound as well any ingredients to the "bath" that people have used. etc etc

IMG_1078.jpg

• Like 3

Would love to see more of what you built.  I have thought often of building one but just have not got around to it.

I have never tried cleaning with ultrasonic cleaning so can't add to that.  Look forward to hearing what others have done.

Great idea.  The complexity of the Reg Williamson method is not for everyone.  That said, I still recommend to everyone to read the original TAA articles (attached for ready reference).  The anti-static aspect of the essentially “unobtainium” CYASTAT SN, is, IMO, the key to cleaning vinyl and keeping it clean.

For those who have no interest in reading the articles, much less following the directions therein, other cleaning methods are appropriate.  The more shared knowledge the better.

TAA_articles.pdf

• Like 1

I posted on the other thread yesterday but really do like ultrasonic cleaning of records.  I use the Vinyl Stack system as well and it works great.  As far as solution I use distilled water with a small amount of Isopropyl alchohol and a few drops of Kodak Photo flo.  I will change the solution after around 20-25 records.

IMG_0391.JPG

• Like 2

Does anyone have experience combining CYASTAT SN (or similar anti-static agent) with an ultrasonic, or other liquid based, cleaning system?

My suspicions is that it would act on static the same way it does in the Reg Williamson PVA peel system.  My curiosity does not tempt me to experiment with my precious supply CYASTAT SN, when the PVA peel system works so well for me.

21 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Does anyone have experience combining CYASTAT SN (or similar anti-static agent) with an ultrasonic, or other liquid based, cleaning system?

My suspicions is that it would act on static the same way it does in the Reg Williamson PVA peel system.  My curiosity does not tempt me to experiment with my precious supply CYASTAT SN, when the PVA peel system works so well for me.

I have used Cyastat SN per the Reg Williamson article (part one) as a pre treatment. I then clean the albums using what is shown above. I think I'm getting good results. 

Cincy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This idea and product "suite" has been around for at least a couple of years.  The video and links below should help anyone that's serious about doing it.  It sure makes a lot more sense than a multi-thousand-dollar machine that does nothing but clean one record at a time:

https://www.cleanervinyl.com/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-3-2L-Liter-Industry-Heated-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-w-Timer-VIP/222398806035

Chris

• Like 1

From what I have read, there are different opinions on what the best frequency for cleaning records is. Some say 80khz One manufacturer of a plug and play cleaner claims that the ideal is 35 kHz. Who knows? I chose mine based on what the cleaner vinyl website recommended. I did not buy the cleaner vinyl components however. I chose the unit from www.thevinylstack.com quite honestly because I liked the look better! 

My Ultrasound unit is a 6litre and 40 kHz. And is identical to the one in the video posted above. 

Josh

do any of the folks cleaning via ultrasound on diy units use any sort of filtration system? ie pump and filter. If so did you build it yourself? Using what? I have researched things like aquarium and pond pumps and filters but Im not sure they filter as fine as one would need for this application. If it sounds like I know what I am taking about that is purely coincidental. I have no idea what kind of filter one should use and I certainly don't know how to match a pump up with it!

Thanks

On 10/19/2018 at 10:46 PM, joshnich said:

do any of the folks cleaning via ultrasound on diy units use any sort of filtration system? ie pump and filter. If so did you build it yourself? Using what? I have researched things like aquarium and pond pumps and filters but Im not sure they filter as fine as one would need for this application. If it sounds like I know what I am taking about that is purely coincidental. I have no idea what kind of filter one should use and I certainly don't know how to match a pump up with it!

Thanks

I'm using an aquarium filter I purchased off of Amazon.It's connected to the drain valve and dumps back in on the top. Seems to be working.

Two observations. One, whenever I've used alcohol in a record cleaning solution, I've felt, granted felt, can't prove, that it slightly damaged the vinyl.  I thought it made the sound move a bit towards the higher frequencies, sorta like you would experience with an aging needle. I would use a non-alcohol solution, like the SpinClean fluid or others I have used and not felt, again felt, that they caused a determination in the vinyl

Second. If you are using an aquarium filter to process your cleaning fluid, throw away the charcoal filter, it may be introducing fine grains of charcoal into the fluid. Use one of these aquarium polishing pads:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-water-polishing-pad

Apparently aquarium geeks don't simply clear up cloudy water they "polish" it. I've started using them in my own little fresh water aquarium  and they really do vacuum up the little bits and pieces in the water and they really suck up the algae, which is akin to the mold often found on old records.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

That's great advice on removing the charcoal- I never knew it could be detrimental. I've been using some left over Spin Clean solution and it seems to be doing a great job.

I just took my filter apart, and there is no charcoal filter. Just different colored sponge discs.