Car 'fix-it' question...(Camry)

Coytee

I've got a Camry (2005) 4-cylinder.

Knowing cold weather is coming and my battery is old...  I decided on a whim to have it replaced.

Drove to Autozone...was going to buy the battery when he gets his workbench rolling towards door...  Oh??  You're going to do it for me?  NIce!  Now it will be done and I won't get dirty....can save that for getting the tractor working.

Get in car and from that moment on, my idle is slow enough that the car now dies when stopped, but in gear.  Stopped in park, it seems to low idle but put in gear and that's enough drag to kill the engine.

It's never ever ever done this before and started immediately (as in at the traffic light) after the batter was replaced.

I stood & watched him do it...  nothing untoward happened....no surprises....  old battery out...new battery in.  I DID lose my radio stations so that has me wondering if something electronic needs to be reset??

• Moderators

Changing the battery or having a very low battery can cause the computer to act strangely. I have had this happen a few time over the years, I usually just disconnect the negative battery post for a couple of minutes then reconnect, The car will still act the same. They say it can take a few miles at normal driving for the computer to completely reset. The only other thing that caused low idle and what you described is the control for the AC, this brings up the idle speed when the AC is on to make up for the energy used to turn the AC compressor.

I would disconnect the battery terminal and drive it some without the AC on to let it adjust, then try the AC and see if it all works as it should. 

We just went through the same thing with our car and battery a couple of months ago, after the computer reset itself everything was fine, it did take a few miles, 20- 30 for it to reset but it did.

Good luck, that's what I have done probably 4-5 times over the years, sometimes it resets quickly sometimes a little slower.

Interesting.  I live about 12 miles from where it was done.

I don't recall if the AC  was on or not.  I don't recall it doing this for prior battery but that was long ago.

Guess i'll go disconnect battery and make myself lunch!!

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

after the computer reset itself everything was fine, it did take a few miles,

I agree. I suspect after driving for a while, your computer will relearn what needs to be done to keep the engine running. If that doesn't happen on its on then it may be time to do a tuneup on the Camry.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would try it, this worked for me many times, be patient sometimes it's slow to reset.

I have also had it happen if the car sits and the batter gets really low.

You got me thinking, we bought a new Camry around 1999 I think it was, great car it rode like a much bigger car and had a good bit of room plus really good gas mileage. The problem started about 60K miles, they used a timing belt instead of a timing chain and it was to be changed every 50K miles. Not good, since being front wheel drive has the engine sideways and where the timing belt is located is jammed against the side of the car.  It's extremely hard to change and tended to break shortly after 50k miles, if that was not bad enough if the timing belt broke it was possible for the engine to still slightly turn until it stopped. Without the timing belt not connected as the engine still turning a little without the valves opening and closing on time, there was a possibility a valve could knock a hole in the top of the pistons which is a much bigger problem.

We really liked the car but this was a real problem, I replaced it the first time, paid to get it done again later, which was not cheap as hard as it was to get to. The problem ended a few years later when I fell asleep with cruise control set while on the interstate and got into an accident going home after working 80 hour weeks. No one was hurt , me, only slightly.

It was completely dumb to put such an unreliable part in such a hard place to get to and potentially to completely ruin the engine if it failed. Timing chains have been around forever and very reliable.

It's an 05... your computer has been rest by disconnection and the ecu needs to relearn the system/sensors. You probably have a sensor that is marginal and the ecu isn't compensating correctly. Give it 50'ish miles then reevaluate.

Could be a map/maf that is dirty, or an o2 that is clogged.

Do you buy top tier fuel or the cheap stuff that costs less?

I took the battery cable off yesterday night (it was tight)  My intent was to remove it....  go eat lunch and put it back on.

Then...  yep...  I forgot about it so it's still disconnected AND it's now raining outside.  Not pouring but raining none the less (great).

I went out to put cable back on battery, decided I didn't need it done enough to warrant getting wet so walked away...will (maybe) do it later if the rain slows down.

Check the manual, it may have a section on how to reset things like the idle after battery replacement.  In my old Taurus SHO it was something like, turn the car on and let it sit until the engine temp got to normal operating temp.  Then put the car in drive and sit like that for five minutes.  Then put the ac on full blast and sit like that for five minutes.  Then drive it around normally for five minutes.

I had to do that at least once a year since it was my winter car and I disconnected the battery while it sat.

Tomorrow is the first real drive that I'll have given it since I did this (been home Friday through Monday)

Heading to.....  Sevierville!  DTel, you could probably give me directions to my destination!!

Anyway, I'll keep eyes/ears on it tomorrow.  If it continues, I'll look around for the manual (which should be in the glove box)

Otherwise, I've been too busy getting the transmission on the International 1066 that I recently bought, up & running like it should.

There's a spring inside the housing that holds two arms snug to each other, as a roller clicks into a detent.  Though I'm replacing a few parts....the biggest offender is, that darn spring is missing!  (probably got chewed up by the transmission which is sitting directly under it)  So far, my magnetic searches have yielded me nothing.  Anyway, you could move the shifter, range selector almost anywhere you wanted....sometimes it would end up where you wanted....sometimes it wouldn't move at all....sometimes (at least once) it might bind a forward gear to reverse and really confuse the tractor (and kill the engine if you let clutch out).  So in addition to a couple items in there, I'm replacing that pesky spring with a brand new one.  It's amazing to me how a little spring can kill the whole party!!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Heading to.....  Sevierville!  DTel, you could probably give me directions to my destination!!

Been that way often heading to the mountains, but I sightsee, the wife pays attention to direction on trips. One thing though, we were either lost once or taking a shortcut and ran across a road, it was named Coytee road. :D I thought I wish I knew where his mailbox was if this is the road he lives on, I wanted to put a surprise in your mailbox.

So, I just did a search on Coytee Road (which happens to be the road I live on) but searched in Sevierville.  Lemme tell you....  if what I found is where you were.....  her sense of direction is reallyyyyyyyyyyy bad...

On the other hand....  if you were stalking me down my road, you should have stopped by.  Could have pushed some trees or dirt around... maybe a boulder or two...

• Moderators

I think it was some kind of shortcut?

No stalking, it's hard to stalk when I had no idea where you lived, we were just driving on backroads and when the name popped up we thought of you.

We like to travel on backroads when we have the time, like when asked directions from a local once, and drove the Tail of the Dragon for the first time having no idea what it was. But it was a shortcut but one that will make you dizzy, we have been back since if were there on the weekend to watch cars.

We just like the area, very pretty, my favorite is for fall leaves. 

I would be very happy to push trees or rocks, even happier when I can bring rocks home, we collect them from wherever we go.