Schiit Loki and Heresy?

fmalloy

The Schitt should work very well, provided that the +/-6db range of adjustment at the critical 2 khz (smack in the squaker's band) will be sufficient for your needs.

Another option that I've used to achieve exactly what you're aiming for are any of the Yamaha stereo kit equipped with the variable loudness knob.  It's essentially a midrange attenuation centered at 1.8 khz or so, but with much broader range of adjustment (can attenuate -30db), along with some treble reduction, but leaving the bass intact.  It's crude, perhaps, but very useful and effective, and seems almost tailor made for Klipsh Heritage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Heresy, II, III?

A simple, low cost mod on the original Heresy will help. The II and III are smoother out of the box.

Bruce

It's a III. I'm not blaming the Heresy; I'm using it (unfortunately) with the exact kind of amp that's heresy to a Heresy - an inexpensive Sony 100wpc SS receiver. So I'm thinking how can I improve the sound without spending big $$$ - Loki, a new NAD 326BEE integrated amp, or...both...?

2 hours ago, fmalloy said:

It's a III.

Nice. Still haven't heard III's yet.

Muddying the waters, but a nice vintage Harman Kardon 730 or 430 would be a great match, too. The prices are up compared to a couple years ago. 

430:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=hk+730&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhk+430.TRS0&_nkw=hk+430&_sacat=0

730:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=hk+430&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhk+730.TRS0&_nkw=hk+730&_sacat=0

22 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Nice. Still haven't heard III's yet.

Muddying the waters, but a nice vintage Harman Kardon 730 or 430 would be a great match, too. The prices are up compared to a couple years ago. 

Thanks. Vintage on eBay kinda scares me though...plus, using this as a system for video watching, so I need a modern remote control...

7 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

Thanks. Vintage on eBay kinda scares me though...plus, using this as a system for video watching, so I need a modern remote control...

True, it can be scary but they tend to side with the buyer in my experience, if a return is needed.

Post a Want To Buy thread in the Garage Sale section here on the Forum. Lots of Klipsch folk have multiple receivers sitting around that may consider selling.

All this doesn't matter 'cause you're looking for a modern piece. That NAD will be excellent.  👍

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Heresey III and the Schiit Loki bought it for exactly the reason described. I found that while it did nicely attenuate the treble and upper mids, no amount of adjustment could make harshness disappear if it was there in the recording. It would just lack treble and still be harsh. The Klipsch sound that is sometimes called harsh is not too much of any frequency, it is something else in my opinion. I still think the H3 are the best speakers I’ve ever heard, they just sometimes get a little harsh. That’s part of the deal. A piece of tissue paper over mid horn works better than EQ, but I prefer them unaltered with proper placement on floor against a wall. I no longer use the Loki.

15 hours ago, rjp said:

I have the Heresey III and the Schiit Loki bought it for exactly the reason described. I found that while it did nicely attenuate the treble and upper mids, no amount of adjustment could make harshness disappear if it was there in the recording. It would just lack treble and still be harsh. The Klipsch sound that is sometimes called harsh is not too much of any frequency, it is something else in my opinion. I still think the H3 are the best speakers I’ve ever heard, they just sometimes get a little harsh. That’s part of the deal. A piece of tissue paper over mid horn works better than EQ, but I prefer them unaltered with proper placement on floor against a wall. I no longer use the Loki.

Thanks for the input, this helps. 

As I listen to more recordings, I'm finding that many recordings of the same work (classical symphonies) sound poor, but some sound fantastic. I guess the Heresy just needs good recordings...

• Like 2

A salesman at an old Stereo store said to me way back in 1976, was garbage in, garbage out. No truer words about sound or what you put in your mouth ever made more sense. A speaker with the definition and minimum restriction of the heritage line, is always going to reveal the garbage that wasn't cleaned up during mixing or in the recording itself. It always amazes me how an artist or recording engineer could even record such trash. It's always about money. The distorted, lousy sounding recording was done on the cheap. Cheap Mike's, cheap recording equipment, etc. On top of that you get a guy at the controls that doesn't know how to tweak the knobs, and you end up with a recording thats bass shy, too strong in the critical middle, and either dull or too bright on the high end above 12k.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 12:43 PM, Moosee1955 said:

A salesman at an old Stereo store said to me way back in 1976, was garbage in, garbage out. No truer words about sound or what you put in your mouth ever made more sense. A speaker with the definition and minimum restriction of the heritage line, is always going to reveal the garbage that wasn't cleaned up during mixing or in the recording itself. It always amazes me how an artist or recording engineer could even record such trash. It's always about money. The distorted, lousy sounding recording was done on the cheap. Cheap Mike's, cheap recording equipment, etc. On top of that you get a guy at the controls that doesn't know how to tweak the knobs, and you end up with a recording thats bass shy, too strong in the critical middle, and either dull or too bright on the high end above 12k.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Thats why you need some type of eq. 

• Like 1

Go on Craigs list or e-bay and score a TOTL surround receiver for less than 200

Someone who wants the latest surround chip sets, can't get much for their used receiver

I like the Class AB Pioneer Elites and Yamahas, 100WPC will blow your head off, 5.1 is perfect

I prefer the THX tested and approved amps, a few examples below, all day long at give away prices

Burr Brown or other TOTL DAC built in, room eq, eq, ability to roll off high end, or go direct from the DAC to the output with 120db SN

Be sure to get a mint unit, manuals, mic for tuning the room, and remote, box is a bonus

Example research on AV forums and Audio Karma for model reliability etc....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-1014TXK-THX-Select-AV-Receiver-Surround-Power-110-W-Massive-sound/183528699479?epid=46571437&hash=item2abb29b657:g:jEYAAOSwY2Jb5uEV:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-ELITE-VSX-81TXV-7-1ch-770w-THX-Certified-Home-Theater-Receiver-HDMI/253959286380?epid=60216615&hash=item3b21272e6c:g:GTEAAOSwb3hb0mY3:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-54TX-AV-Receiver-7-1-Channel-THX-Orig-Price-1-500/323514746465?hash=item4b52fb4661:g:caAAAOSwrGlby5h5:rk:5:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1000-7-2-Channel-280-Watt-Receiver/173627146519?epid=97513283&hash=item286cfc0117:g:pHgAAOSwolpb4hg8:rk:29:pf:0

• Like 1