Schiit Loki and Heresy?

fmalloy

OK, I finally got the NAD. I can't do an A/B/X, but to me it seems to a) provide a better low-end response, and b) tone down the harshness of the mids I was experiencing. I am currently listening with Tone Defeat on, and so far I don't feel the need to increase the bass or use the - gasp Bass Boost - at low volumes. The dynamic range seems fantastic.  

So, I'd say this integrated amp is much better suited to the Heresy than the Sony AV receiver (which was less than half the price). I used to be of the "all amps sound the same if not clipping" camp.

My one complaint - the output level seems to top out with the volume at only 12 o'clock, but I can still get 100dB SPL out of the horns on von Karajan's Zarathustra opening. Of course, this is a 50wpc vs. 100wpc Sony.

• 1 year later...

Finally got the Loki, added it to the NAD and Heresy III system. A nice tweak of the 20Hz added some bass for warmth and a decent cut of the 2kHz took the edge off the mids. But as someone said, it won't eliminate it completely. A definite improvement.

• Like 3