Starting new klf-30 crossover build + other upgrades

Alexander

I think that you will get better results with the inductors in a "T" configuration each tight in the others null. you might want to set up and listen to some assorted layouts. you can also experiment with a copper soldered foil wrap around the transformer listen to it both with and without a ground.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

What did you build with the last time?

Last build was the ALK forte II's using Janten standard caps & Dayton caps for the LF. Had bought some Audyn plus/Q4's & Erse  foils & coils to build an oem based xover for the forte II's but it never happened.

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

I have always in the past grounded the autotransformer "frame", as will this time too. Not sure it makes a difference though, just a habit. Foil around the AT though never thought of that.

some steel around the transformer will also help especially in a power supply.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Should be an interesting comparison. 

This one will just be based on the oem schematic, just sealed one cabinet today and will finish the second tomorrow, surprised to see I have real wood and not medium density board. Will add a bit of bracing too between the motor board and back panel near where the factory horizontal side braces are. After that is done and listened to for a bit the xovers will be put in place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have a full set of Ciare woofers on hand now and the a55g mids from crites should be here today.  Plan on changing out the k-75-k tweeters with ti's from the idle pair of forte II's to round things out. Will add ferrofluid to make them "k-79-k's" just for the h3ll of it since it is on hand. Looks like the xover will go in last...  

ciarestackcut.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 4:30 PM, Alexander said:

I have always in the past grounded the autotransformer "frame", as will this time too. Not sure it makes a difference though, just a habit. Foil around the AT though never thought of that.

I wouldn’t do that. Do not make the frame part of the common part of the circuit.