Starting new klf-30 crossover build + other upgrades

Alexander

• 5 months later...

Great job man I envy you! I gotta ask did you build new crossovers cause you had an issue with the stock ones or just wanted to upgrade?

Also what did you do with the old ones? The reason I ask is because Im having an issue with the mid-range driver in one of my KLF30's and I cant seem to figure out

what the problem is. I already bought & replaced the driver to no avail. Ive never rebuilt crossovers & dont have the $300 for a new set from crites.

The mid range horn first started working intermittantly then I noticed when I tapped on the lower cabinet it would come back on, eventually it seemed to get worse & Ive been putting

it off for far too long so tonight I decided to pop the crossover out and the wires and all the solder connections look good. As I was inspecting the xover lightly pressing on the components while listening to Pantera the midrange came back to life, still not sure which component is failing though unfortunately. I originally thought (or hoped) it was a bad capacitor as that would be a cheap & easy fix but now I dont. It seems like the round black component (noob speak) in the picture was the culprit, when I pressed and/or tapped on it lightly my KLF30 came alive! but I cant be sure, It could have been slight flexing of the pcb or a nearby component that was enjoying the crossover massage. Speaker repair is not my forte <(see what I did there) although I do have a nice hakko and decent soldering skills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Not my crossover below, just for "reference" < dang did it again

InkedKLIPSCH KLF30 XOVER_LI.jpg

Edited by sdmf74

From your description, it could very well be a bad solder joint on the pcb. If the board can be removed from the back plate, I would refow all the connex on the board.

I have seen connection that look perfect but are not. The happens more on connection with a solid wire and not stranded. If you already know how to solder, this should be a fairly simple task.

Bruce

If that ain't the cure (likely is, though) then there's a break in the wire somewhere end-to-end in that coil and it needs replacement if the break can't be found and remedied.

Or a break in the board trace, which is 100% fixable by scraping off coating and soldering on a jumper.

Thanks guys for the quick replies, I will have to pull the speaker out away from the wall and attempt a closer inspection. I'm not too confident I will be able to see the issue but it's worth a try.

I'm the only owner and they have been taken care of and rarely moved, powered for a short time with a big amp by monster Cable but never abused. I dont think it would be a trace on the pcb but I could have missed a solder issue when I inspected it I suppose.

I do like the suggestion about the possible break in the coil, I assume you are referring to the black part I circled in the pic cause it seems like when I pushed down on it thats when it started working again.

Yeah, it's a coil of wire (a specific coil of specific wire).  Likely just a termination issue, but it's possible that there was always an iffy spot in the wire it was wound with.  Stranger things have happened.

Solder can become brittle from the heating and cooling of current flowing through the coils. I've seen solder connection that visually look fine but you could actually spin the wire where it passes through the solder. As glens says, if reflowing the solder doesn't work, the coils itself is suspect. But I would touch up all the connection on the board since there aren't that many to do once you have the board out.

I would prefer to replace them and might have to if I can't locate the specific issue but I can't find any replacements besides the expensive Crites which will have to wait unfortunately. KLF20 xovers are available but no 30's. 

If anybody knows where I could find the replacement coil please let me know?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, sdmf74 said:

Great job man I envy you! I gotta ask did you build new crossovers cause you had an issue with the stock ones or just wanted to upgrade?

Thanks. The oem xovers were working with out any issues. Just like to build xovers from scratch when I can. :)

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, Alexander said:

Thanks. The oem xovers were working with out any issues. Just like to build xovers from scratch when I can. :)

Thanks for the reply. Would you be interested in selling one or both of your stock x overs?

• 8 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, sdmf74 said:

Thanks for the reply. Would you be interested in selling one or both of your stock x overs?

Hmm, I might have answered this in a pm but just in case I didn't, I will be hanging on to the OEM units on the chance I would want to go back to stock.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...