Klipsch K-402

bkwa1959

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

They are, almost, just like lps, but they order them tinted in black.  For some reason theater chains have a preference for black.

Most likely so that there are no reflections possible THROUGH the screen to the audience from the speakers behind that movie screen.  The screens are more like a grlll-cloth...."Acoustically transparent"!

51 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Most likely so that there are no reflections possible THROUGH the screen to the audience from the speakers behind that movie screen.  The screens are more like a grlll-cloth...."Acoustically transparent"!

That makes sense, but for home use, Clear could sometimes be preferable, since clear 402s would dominate the room a bit less, which could be a good thing in certain rooms. I've mentioned this at least a couple of times in the past.

My setup has a 65" Panasonic plasma TV in the middle, flanked by a pair of 402 JubScalas, each 2 feet away from the TV (23" from screen edge to horn edge on both sides).  When a recent first-time visitor saw the system, the TV was off.  She paid no notice at first, but when I later mentioned that the less big black things were speakers, she was surprised, because just noticing them out of the corner of her eye, she'd thought it was a 3-screen video array.

That was a first, but the 402 front edges do have roughly a 16:9 proportion, and have the approximate size and silhouette of 40" flatscreen TVs.

57 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I would use the glow in the dark wrap.

The carbon fibre and chrome ones look interesting, too.  So many choices!

I like how the page even lists the skill level required to apply the wrap.  Low would be ideal.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, krell101 said:

Anyone painted a 402? Would it affect the sound ? 

I read a comment once from a guy who claimed that his black amplifier sounded different than his silver amplifier of the same make and model. So if the color can affect the sound of an amplifier, imagine what it can do to the sound of a horn!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. A good paint job will be only a few thousandths thick. Compared to the wavelengths of sound, that's negligible -- production tolerances are probably higher than that.

The most critical place is the horn throat -- don't allow runs or drips there. Even then, it would have to be a really big glob to make a difference.

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

I read a comment once from a guy who claimed that his black amplifier sounded different than his silver amplifier of the same make and model. So if the color can affect the sound of an amplifier, imagine what it can do to the sound of a horn!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. A good paint job will be only a few thousandths thick. Compared to the wavelengths of sound, that's negligible -- production tolerances are probably higher than that.

The most critical place is the horn throat -- don't allow runs or drips there. Even then, it would have to be a really big glob to make a difference.

I recommend painting everything you can get a brush to.🤣

https://www.audio-magic.com/Noise-canceling.html

"Black Out Paint - Black Out Anti-Vibration and Noise Control Paint can be applied to circuit boards and their components. In fact, use your imagination to find many other uses as well!"

Do this before the glow in the dark wrap though.

Black Out Paint - Black Out Anti-Vibration and Noise Control Paint can be applied to circuit boards and their components. In fact, use your imagination to find many other uses as well!

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

"Black Out Paint - Black Out Anti-Vibration and Noise Control Paint can be applied to circuit boards and their components. In fact, use your imagination to find many other uses as well!"n and Noise Control Paint can be applied to circuit boards and their components. In fact, use your imagination to find many other uses as well!

Made from recycled F-117 wing skins ...

On 4/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, glens said:

Clear would be cool, but would inevitably become less clear with age, unless formed of transparent aluminum...

… o O (someone's been watching Star Trek) lol... but anyway.... I submit the finish of a Metaflake Bass Boat... They just look nice, and would be like having a bass boat in the house for the time's you can't be out on the lake...