The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
bkwa1959

Klipsch K-402

Has anyone ever painted a pair of Klipsch K-402 horns,I want to try and put together a Jubilee setup ,but I would want  to dress up the large horn.

14 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

Not a 510 horn

Jeez ... you are right ... should have known since I have 904's with 510 horns :D  But ... guess they "all" can be painted :) 

I have not painted a pair. I have been wanting to paint mine for years. This winter might be the year, getting board and need projects. I would recommend a automotive finish for sure. Follow all preparation and coating guidelines for fiberglass. One of the careers early in my life was selling automotive finishes. If you want to hire it done a local collision repair facility would help.

Cheers,

rmlowz

I took my 402's to a local body shop and had them painted a black with an eggshell finish. Came out great and for the cost it was well worth getting it done right. I believe @totalcomfort painted his also.

Might be worth calling around and getting a quote.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I took my 402's to a local body shop and had them painted a black with an eggshell finish. Came out great and for the cost it was well worth getting it done right. I believe @totalcomfort painted his also.

=== with having a body/paint shop in the family I’ve thought about doing the same. However I think a simpler, easily reversible idea is to have them wrapped. I’ve spoken with the folks that I use for “clear bar” paint protection for our cars and they said sure, bring them in. 

In fact that may well be in my summer plans —

• Like 1

I wish the 402's were Optically clear...

• Like 1

15603017794_27677bdfb1_k.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure a 0.003" (three thousandths of an inch) of paint will not affect the sound.

4 hours ago, rockhound said:

I did a DIY paint job on mine and they turned out good, but if I had it to do it again I would have a pro do it like @rockhounddid his.

I think they turned out better than mine.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, richieb said:

=== with having a body/paint shop in the family I’ve thought about doing the same. However I think a simpler, easily reversible idea is to have them wrapped. I’ve spoken with the folks that I use for “clear bar” paint protection for our cars and they said sure, bring them in. 

Clear Bra protection might be a good option . Available different colors https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/colored-patterned-wrap-vinyls/sub/colored-wrap-vinyl/set/3m-vinyl-wrap-all-colors

On 4/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, richieb said:

Horns are made of aluminum, corect? If so they can certainly be bead blasted an anodized many colors! Anodization is WAY better than paint!

John Kuthe...

If you're gonna "wrap" them... might as well get the faux wood panel wrap.

• Like 1

While many horns are aluminum, most are injection molded. Often abs or other plastic. Some use a clay powder mix in the synthetic, for stiffness and deadening. There are also fiberglass horns...

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

If you're gonna "wrap" them... might as well get the faux wood panel wrap.

Or bright chrome! :-)

John Kuthe,,,

27 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Horns are made of aluminum, corect? If so they can certainly be bead blasted an anodized many colors! Anodization is WAY better than paint!

John Kuthe...

=== 402’s are not aluminum. Some some type of molded plastic/fiberglass, etc. If indeed I make the change from black they will be wrapped with automotive material. Easily reversible. 

• Like 1