Should I upgrade from Heresy II to Cornwall I?

wuzzzer

Current front mains are beautiful condition raw birch Heresy IIs.  Have an opportunity to buy a local pair of raw birch 1982 Cornwalls.  Listed for $900, excellent condition.

How much of an upgrade would these be over my Heresy IIs?  I'd sell the Heresy IIs to help pay for the Cornwalls if I did it.

I would if I were you and had the room, lots of potential in the Cornwalls for upgrades and bigger cabinet means additional / lower bass response. The '82's should have soldered lug k-55v's in them if they're still stock, significantly better driver than the k-53 in the H-II IMO. 

The Cornwalls will play much lower; you'll crap your pants when you hear the difference! They're also MUCH more efficient. I'll echo jjptkd; IF you have the room, buy them. Selling the Heresy's will wisely offset the expense. The big caveat is having the physical space for the speakers and being able to sit far enough away to enjoy them.

Is the price on the Cornwalls ok?  The seller states they're 100% original and in perfect working condition.  They're unfinished raw birch with risers but the front trim has been painted black.  Assuming the black is not from the factory?  They also come with custom glass tops.  Two owners.

The speakers would be 9 feet apart and the sweet spot on our couch is 9 feet away as well.

Fair asking price for my Heresy IIs with both factory and titanium midrange/tweeter diaphragms?  Unfinished raw birch, 1990, original networks.  Couple scratches but nothing really major.

20181019_093806 (Large).jpg

20181019_093409 (Large).jpg

20181019_093353 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Doesn't hurt to offer a touch less and feel out the deal.   If he says no, I don't think the price is unreasonable if you are in the market, as they aren't easy to fine.   You can get good money for the heresy II if you are patient.   

Best part is they are in the same town as I am.  No long road trip needed.

I emailed the seller asking if they are upgrading/downsizing and if they'd be interested in my IIs as partial trade.

10 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Is the price on the Cornwalls ok?  The seller states they're 100% original and in perfect working condition.  They're unfinished raw birch with risers but the front trim has been painted black.  Assuming the black is not from the factory?  They also come with custom glass tops.  Two owners.

The speakers would be 9 feet apart and the sweet spot on our couch is 9 feet away as well.

Fair asking price for my Heresy IIs with both factory and titanium midrange/tweeter diaphragms?  Unfinished raw birch, 1990, original networks.  Couple scratches but nothing really major.

20181019_093806 (Large).jpg

20181019_093409 (Large).jpg

20181019_093353 (Large).jpg

they are not Decorators so they should have come from the factory with grills and not painted black on the front. why they are painted black, don't know. not original

Y=1983

With Klipsch the only question you should ever concern yourself with is whether or not you have room for them, if the price is right... and those are about right!

Bigger IS better.

There is no replacement for displacement!

The last couple years of Cornwall 1’s with the B-3 crossover are really sweet. 

One caveat, I sold my Hersey 2’s shortly after getting Cornwalls. Missed them so much I have since bought another pair for when I am “toying” with whatever speakers are in rotation as Heresys are so easy to swap in and provide so much of what Klipsch is all about in such an efficient little box!

IF (and that is a big if) you can resist “toying” with them they should hold their value for when you make a few more inches of room for LaScalas!

You already know you’re headed there... LOL!

3F4BAAFE-7194-42F3-9501-8C5531F900C1.png

The reason I say “IF” you can resist “toying” with them is pictured below.

I don’t plan on getting rid of these, but “never say never”. They are currently in the master bedroom, but if I could fit LaScalas upstairs they may have to go.

‘84 Cornwall 1’s with original B-3 crossovers and square magnet K-33-E woofers.

K-107-ti tweeters and K-61-K squawkers replaced the stock K-77 and K-57 equivalents.

I do not think the K-107-ti has quite the 105db efficiency of the K-77, but in this application it shines.

I actually (sadly) found the K-107-ti too bright as a straight swap for the K-79 in the Cornwall 2’s, Forte 2’s and Chorus 2’s I have owned.

6AEEC3D9-94E3-4890-B69B-56A79F3738E1.jpeg

I think my plan might be this:

Get the Cornwalls and keep my Heresy IIs as surrounds.  Sell my current RS-7 surrounds and RB-5s that I have in storage.  Sell one of my SVS SB-2000 subs.  That should almost pay for the Cornwalls 100%.

I'm very excited.  I'm going to see if I can stop by the guy's place today and have a listen.

• Like 1

The Cornwall was the first Klipsch speaker I ever heard and I instantly fell in love with them. At the time the best I could do was a Heresy I found locally and that severed me well. After about a half a year later and some more money saved up I found a pair of cornwalls and like everyone else has said the difference is pretty substantial. Larger presence, deeper bass were the two things that first came to mind, and I was able to enjoy them for a good while. The only reason why I got rid of them was to help fund my wife's engagement ring 😃 

Take some pics and lets us know what you think once you get them!