Now: Oddball Cornwall 2 discussion. Was: I have a possibly silly question about an inductor...

Oicu812

I've been looking around for compatible parts, and found these 2.5mh inductors on eBay. 

Is there any reason that these would not do the same job as the Klipsch factory models? 

These are roughly $15 each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformer-Filter-Choke-2-5-mH-10-Amp-hammond-159ZL/222904370420?epid=5017384497&hash=item33e622c4f4:g:sSUAAOSwgBNavmh3:rk:21:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg

Manufacturer: Hammond
Product Category:
Fixed Inductors

RoHS:

Termination Style:
Wire Leads

Inductance:
2.5 mH

Tolerance:
15 %

Maximum DC Current:
10 A

Maximum DC Resistance:
44 mOhms

Termination:
-

Mounting Style:
Chassis Mount

Length:
4.03 in

Width:
2.25 in

Height:
2.63 in

Application:
DC Filtering

Series:

Product:
Fixed Inductors

Type:
Choke

Brand:
Hammond Manufacturing

Product Type:
Fixed Inductors

Subcategory:
Inductors, Chokes & Coils

Unit Weight:
2.750 lbs

12 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Do they match the inductance of the Klipsch version you are trying to replicate?  Comparable resistance?

11 hours ago, Edgar said:

That inductor is designed for DC filtering, which means that there's no telling what its AC performance will be like. Why not use something that's actually designed for audio? https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-25mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-908

Thanks for the replies.

Well, digging around eBay actually did pay off.  I got a pair of Crites crossovers (inexpensively!) that will work with minor modification.  No longer any need to build my own:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crites-B-K-Sound-A-4500-crossovers-Excellent-used-coondition/283209951876?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

If you update any of the parts are them. Let me know. I may buy the old parts from you
I need to build up my parts bench with crossover parts
Thanks

I certainly will.  It was very nice meeting you today!  Thanks for the great prices on all of your goodies!

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

@Oicu812  what tweeter are you using?  Be aware the K77 is not compatible with the Crites A4500.

I picked up a pair of K-79 tweeters and horns from a set of KP-301's.  I'm assuming that the 301's are the Pro version of the Cornwall 2?  In addition, I also got the K-601 horns and the K-57 drivers to go with them.  I picked them up from Reverb.com for $155 all in.

I had started to look at building my own crossovers to the Cornwall 2 specs, but with the prices on the autoformers and the 2.5mH inductors it was cheaper to buy the Crites as a starting point at $104 total, including shipping.  Now all I will have to buy are the bits and pieces to convert the crossovers to either Cornwall 2 specs, or so it seems to me.  Am I off base here?

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

That 's a good price on that 4500 crossover pair.....

That's what I thought, especially after pricing out all the requisite parts to try and build my own.

Do you think that I should look at the Cornscala type setup for this build?  I haven't done any research on those yet.

2 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

That's what I though, especially after pricing out all the requisite parts to try and build my own.

Do you think that I should look at the Cornscala type setup for this build?  I haven't done any research on those yet.

You should definitely contact Mr. Crites with that question.

So here is my plan, please poke holes in it as needed (I would really appreciate the feedback):

My starting point is the two Pro cabs that I picked up from Carl, and I will build a couple of extra boxes with the same carpet that will sit on top of these two 15" woofer cabs.  These boxes will house the K-601/K-57 driver combo, and the K-79 and horns, along with the crossovers.  I will have a couple of 5-way posts on the back of the top boxes to take the woofer signals to the larger cabs below, as well as a pair for the inputs, of course.

f5b2cb7064f2095b798c5a22e5eab7c4.jpg

1426120-klipsch-k57k601-amp-b3-crossover

Klipsch-K-79-K-Tweeter-Pair-Pulled-From-

I forgot to add the most interesting bit:  Each of these speakers will get their own dedicated 100W amp (Out of an Allen Organ):

100_1153.JPG

@carlthess40 

I successfully tested one of the amps (like the one above) that I picked up from you.  Even using a crappy iphone headphone jack and a splitter going from that to two RCA channels, these amps crank. I need to plug it into a higher powered speaker now, and a cleaner music source.

For anyone that is interested:  I took two of the organ 100w amps, and connected them to the pre-outs on the 7.1 surround system.  I then plugged them into the two Super Heresy, and magic happened.

The Heresy pair came alive.  I mean, some serious music volume.  Great sound.  I could add just enough gain to balance the levels of the Heresy to the KP-3002 I am using as my mains.  Or crank them way the heck up.  It's amazing.

If you run into some Allen Organ Co. amplifiers in your travels, pick them up because they are inexpensive (These are the S-100 model).  They are fun to play with, and I believe that they are truly "old school" 100w RMS.  The Onkyo surround system boasts 110w per channel, but I don't believe it.  Now, using the Onkyo for the pre-outs and these little amps for the power, it's awe inspiring.  Little shivers, the whole deal.  *<;o)

They are impressive looking to boot.  Caps larger than Red Bull cans, almost the size of Coke cans.  And the coils would look at home attached to an electrical service, or on the power pole.  I can't afford the level of tube amp that I would like, so this scratches that itch, in a way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Looking forward to seeing this when it's done. It will be different.

Thanks, I am always interested in different things.  

Learn things by doing.  Try something new.  Use cool old tech for something unusual, and see if I can make it work.

Can I build a pair of Cornwall 2’s (or their equivalent Pro version) inexpensively?  I think so, but there’s only one way to find out...