Things About These Forums That Irritate

ishwash

(Not the place for this I am sure, so move it to wherever you wish.)

Sellers should not promote their wares.  

Moderators should clearly show they are moderators, and a moderator should avoid use of the term "judge" or "lawyer" indicating that they perceive themselves to be superior in their censorship decisions.

Moderators should not break a thread leaving a result that favors one poster over another. Grave insults should not be deleted (maybe only x'ed out or a line drawn through). We are not babies that require shielding from the real world, so leave the posts with the minor insults alone so others can forever see how reasonable or unreasonably a poster is being.

Only moderators should moderate. If you don't like what someone says, leave it to the recipient of the posting to respond to it.

The picture id associated with the poster should not editorialize.

When some poor lost soul shows up with a problem and has a very desirable item or items that you covet, don't immediately try to relieve that person of their stuff. Either help the person, or if you can't control your desire for what the person has, PM the person.

The number of Klipsch products you own and the equipment running it shows up with your every post. Get rid of those listings. Ownership of all sorts of loot does not make you an expert, and only makes the threads more lengthy to read.

Minimize your quotes so you don't add unnecessary length to a thread, don't repeat the pictures unless absolutely necessary to make a point.

Yes, I know I irritate, but so do a bunch of you!

• Like 1

A respectful snip

The number of Klipsch products you own and the equipment running it shows up with your every post. Get rid of those listings.

I never see the signiture line on the Tapatalk version of the forum.
For the full version there is a way to hide that line if you don't want to see it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Skelt said:

A respectful snip

I never see the signiture line on the Tapatalk version of the forum.
For the full version there is a way to hide that line if you don't want to see it.

Thanks, that's cool, but it would be nice if it doesn't appear except maybe at the individual's personal info...not on his posting to the forum.

Thanks, that's cool, but it would be nice if it doesn't appear except maybe at the individual's personal info...not on his posting to the forum.
Just learn how to use the forum.

If I cannot drive a manual transmission I don't blame the car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ishwash said:

Thanks, that's cool, but it would be nice if it doesn't

You can hide the signature quote of one person, or all signature quotes.  I hide sigs sometimes for very long quotes where I already know what the person has.  I can always view their profile if I want to see their equipment list.

I didn't see any of the problems listed in your first post.  I'm sure they were there, I just didn't read whatever thread that seems to have bugged you.  I think you have a right to express your grievances as long as they are done respectfully, which I think you did.

I get bugged too from time-to-time and I don't always agree with the mods, but I absolutely think they do a fair job.  Just like with umpires once a call of safe/out is made one of the parties is going to disagree and be unhappy.  It's better to simply make the best call as you see it and stick with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skelt said:

Just learn how to use the forum.

If I cannot drive a manual transmission I don't blame the car.

Well said Skelt.  If people from Ohio can learn to use the forum, hell, anyone can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not looking to pick a fight whatsoever, but I am very curious as this list is lengthy and complete.... 

BUT, This begs the question:  What DO you like about this forum?  

Arguments get heated around here and I feel the moderators do a solid job of putting the fires out.   As far as I know, this "job" that they perform certainly doesn't help the mortgage get paid.. Keep that in mind before bashing those that help make this an enjoyable place for many. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ishwash said:

Per your request I did.

Sellers should not promote their wares.  

Define "promote".

Moderators should clearly show they are moderators, and

a moderator should avoid use of the term "judge" or "lawyer" indicating that they perceive themselves to be superior in their censorship decisions.

For a time it did have a "moderator" as a designation.  Now it shows up as a different color when a moderator posts, I guess I could go in and see if I could add "Moderator" to it in some way.  

"a moderator should avoid use of the term "judge" or "lawyer" indicating that they perceive themselves to be superior in their censorship decisions." 

I don't think I have used the term "lawyer" while acting as a moderator.  If you meant that a moderator shouldn't have "lawyer" or "judge" in their screen name, it has been my screen name for 14 years on this Forum, but I have only been a moderator for a few years.  So my screen name has nothing to do with being a moderator.   I never had anyone mention anything about it, I suspect this view is limited to a very small minority, perhaps a minority of one.

However, as I am always trying to raise money for the Museum I will make this offer, anyone making a $500 donation to Klipsch Museum of Audio History can pick any name they want for me to use as my screen name.  PM me for details. 

Technically there is no "censorship" on a private Forum. Censorship is what occurs when there is state action to limit or control media content or some form of creative expression.

What moderators do here  is attempt to uniformly apply rules (terms of service) that everyone agrees to abide by when they sign up for the forum.  I think @dtel's wife aptly stated this in her post in the capacitor thread.

Moderators should not break a thread leaving a result that favors one poster over another.

Good luck with that.  What you propose would require an extensive amount of time, on behalf of multiple people who are all volunteers (revision by committee).  It's much simpler and quicker to look at a post, determine if it violates terms of service, and either hide it, or comment in some way to bring things back.  We try to avoid locking or hiding a thread because of one or two bad apples, especially when it isn't the OP involved in the conduct.  Hiding posts to "save" a thread will always end up with someone looking like they were favored over another.  Especially if someone didn't resort to personal attacks in their responses. That's the risk a poster takes when they post content that violates the terms of service.  

I will address my thoughts on the rest of your suggestions in a second post.  There are some good suggestions in there.

Maybe one of the other mods can chime in here with their own thoughts, comments and suggestions@Mallette @CECAA850 @dtel @dtel's wife @Youthman @Chief bonehead 

Grave insults should not be deleted (maybe only x'ed out or a line drawn through).

We are not babies that require shielding from the real world, so leave the posts with the minor insults alone so others can forever see how reasonable or unreasonably a poster is being.

Only moderators should moderate. If you don't like what someone says, leave it to the recipient of the posting to respond to it.

The picture id associated with the poster should not editorialize.

When some poor lost soul shows up with a problem and has a very desirable item or items that you covet, don't immediately try to relieve that person of their stuff. Either help the person, or if you can't control your desire for what the person has, PM the person.

The number of Klipsch products you own and the equipment running it shows up with your every post. Get rid of those listings. Ownership of all sorts of loot does not make you an expert, and only makes the threads more lengthy to read.

Minimize your quotes so you don't add unnecessary length to a thread, don't repeat the pictures unless absolutely necessary to make a point.

Yes, I know I irritate, but so do a bunch of you!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Maybe one of the other mods can chime in here with their own thoughts, comments and suggestions

You went to a lot more trouble with this post than I. I ignored it. However, agree with your thoughts. Having done this for a very long time now I have come to realize that only those who get to know this team really understand how different we are, and yet how closely we work together and never confuse disagreement with disrespect. 

Dave

• Like 1

Ah, Guys and Gals, I'm not trying to do anything except to salvage something out of all this for wdecho, who has departed, and who felt strongly that he was treated unfairly. I agree with his assessment, and I do hope that Klipsch adopt my recommendations.

Now let me assure you wdecho has not asked me to do this and probably doesn't even know this is occurring. Also please understand that I have no particular quarrel with any moderator because I honestly do know that it is hard to satisfy everyone.

I am actually weary of all this, weary of the forum, and weary of several of the so called stalwarts of all this. I see click-ish behavior and snobism. I see a prevailing superior attitude, and other things that are sort of disgusting. I also see quite a few folks who genuinely want to help, which is good, because the need for a Klipsch forum devoted to helping people is there.

I don't intend to respond further except to say that all my recommendations could improve your forum if you decide you want to do them. Whatever you do I am relieving you of my burden. I thank all who have helped me with my problems. This is my last post. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 2

• Chad locked this topic