Things About These Forums That Irritate

ishwash

• Moderators
14 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I was sympathizing with you until this line.  Now you just piss me off.

I acted as an administrator and moderator for many years in the hay-day of "bulletin-board software" and forums.  Assessments like this were a dime a dozen by self-righteous and pretentious do-gooders that assume they know how to run their business better than the owners and operators do.  Not taking into account their own personal lack of experience, or the amount of time and effort put in by voluntary staff members.

I'd hear people whine and complain about it on projects, and I'd hear them complain about it on discussion boards.  For lack of a better phrase, get the hell over yourself.  Your recommendations are not more valuable because you represent someone.  Your opinions are not more valuable because of your patronizing tone.  Your opinions sure as hell aren't more valuable because you make suggestions under the guise of attempting to better something, when all you're doing is snuffing out your own desire for self-satisfaction.

Now that's not to say that there aren't improvements that can be made.  That isn't to say that people shouldn't be able to come forward with concerns, that's not to say your points are invalid.  But your attitude and self-pretentiousness tells me that you're someone to be ignored, because no matter what anyone does, you'll just continue to moan and complain because it wasn't done YOUR way.

What you SHOULD be doing right now is thanking the moderators for doing the best job they can.  They don't get paid.  They're human.  They have lives.  And they spend a fraction of that here dealing with minute complaints like yours, and keeping everyone else in check.

You're on the internet.  You have to click a button to submit, meaning that you have more than enough time to think before you speak.  Maybe you should try doing that.

I wish all of that could be in my signature.

Travis

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, as I added it to mine.  New members with questions don't know who to ask questions to so I thought adding "moderator" would help.  For anyone wondering, if you see a post with a copper colored border, a moderator has posted it.

So after you go to our profile, and then "Edit Profile" what Field does it go into.  Right now on mine it says "Ultra Forum Fanatic" but I don't see that in any of the available fields (probably because it auto-generates based on the number of posts made?).

Travis

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So after you go to our profile, and then "Edit Profile" what Field does it go into. 

After Edit Profile I think you change "Forum Title."

I was thinking you Mods had some special way of embedding Moderator into your avatar field that the rest of us can't do, but I'm going back a couple of years.  The forum software might have changed since then.

23 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So after you go to our profile, and then "Edit Profile" what Field does it go into.  Right now on mine it says "Ultra Forum Fanatic" but I don't see that in any of the available fields (probably because it auto-generates based on the number of posts made?).

Travis

I put mine where it says "Member Title".

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

After Edit Profile I think you change "Forum Title."

I was thinking you Mods had some special way of embedding Moderator into your avatar field that the rest of us can't do, but I'm going back a couple of years.  The forum software might have changed since then.

It did change a little, the moderator title was embedded and just appeared, and then a change or two ago, that went away and it went to the slightly different color with the copper line around the post.  But you need to be on the forum awhile to figure out that is the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Yes you can pick anything you want for screen name (Within terms of service of course).  for 12 months, and then we will sell if off again for another 12 months.

If there is interest, I will also consider letting someone pick my avatar.

These would be fully tax deductible contributions and would include a membership at the appropriate level in the museum with whatever perks are standard with that level.  If it is a Founder or Khorn level member who does it, it will go down as an additional contribution from that member.

Travis

I vote for DUKIjubileeI "Driving Under Klipsch Jubilee Influence or DUKJI or something along those line! (Marketing never dies, it's just cleverly disguised!). Legal Trademark Pending (hey, you're still a Lawyer after all).

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes, as I added it to mine.  New members with questions don't know who to ask questions to so I thought adding "moderator" would help.  For anyone wondering, if you see a post with a copper colored border, a moderator has posted it.

As a certified (certifiable?) newbie, I was indeed confused about how to identify moderators . I suppose in retrospect I should have figured out the significance of the color shift, but I am used to seeing moderators explicitly identified. Now that I know thanks to this thread, it makes little difference to me whether it is in the title. Perhaps adding how to identify moderators to the forum rules sticky would help out dense newbies like me.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Steve P said:

As a certified (certifiable?) newbie, I was indeed confused about how to identify moderators . I suppose in retrospect I should have figured out the significance of the color shift, but I am used to seeing moderators explicitly identified. Now that I know thanks to this thread, it makes little difference to me whether it is in the title. Perhaps adding how to identify moderators to the forum rules sticky would help out dense newbies like me.

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry it was at a time when there was a bit of drama or turmoil, but as someone once said here, we are like a family on here, and with all families you are going to have disagreements, some drama, etc.

One of the other moderators brought this up before in our section we have to discuss things, and I will revisit it with the other moderator's and ask the Administrator if it would be possible to go back to the way it was.

It seems that there is a consensus to have to have a "Moderator" designation, and so I will reurge it.

22 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

It seems that there is a consensus to have to have a "Moderator" designation, and so I will reurge it.

The last time Chad gave us the moderator designation it was HUGE. 

Hopefully he has it figured out by now.

42 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I suppose in retrospect I should have figured out the significance of the color shift, but I am used to seeing moderators explicitly identified.

I never realized it till someone else pointed it out.:wacko2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Youthman said:

...yet I find it interesting that I have been referred by you as "a clown", "silly", a "dog", "stupid", a "fool", a "joker" and an "idiot".

Wow. 

Not very imaginative. I would have tried to put them all in a sentence. 🙂

Extraordinary patience on your part. I would have banned him immediately. 

• Chad locked this topic