Matching Klipsch RP-150M monitor speakers

rusticman

Hi there,

I'm trying to match my Klipsch RP-150M monitor speakers with a suitable amplifier. The power handling of the speakers is a continuous 75 watts. 

I've read that you ought to find an amp that offers 80% of the speakers continuous power handling. Roughly speaking, around 60 watts per channel. However, I have also read on this forum that Klipsch speakers are really efficient and can handle amps that offer more power. I've found a good deal on the Denon AVR-X2200W. However, this AV receiver offers 95 watts per channel. Would it be a mistake to pair these together, and if so, what is the maximum threshold that these speakers can handle?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Cheers,

Russell

@rusticman,

Welcome to the forum.

Are these speakers going to anchor a pure stereo(2 channel) system or a multichannel(5.1, 7.1, 5.2.2, etc.) rig for movies and music?  If just stereo music, I suggest an integrated stereo amplifier or a stereo receiver.

Based on listening preferences and room size, 60 to 100w/ch should be should be plenty for just two speakers.

Bill

The RP-150M can handle peaks up to 300W. 

The Denon AVR-X2200W is just fine, the most important factor is that the amplifier delivers undistorted clean power.

You could go even higher in the max rated power of an amplifier for those speakers - up to 300W.

The continuous power specification relates to how much heat the speaker can handle (dissipate) when playing (very) loud for long periods of time.

It's all rather 'theoretical' as in a normal situation (home use) the average power delivered to the speakers is <1 Watt.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback. 

Its primary use will be for music, but I am planning on buying a projector and tentatively looking to put together a 5.1 setup for movies. It does seem that there are quite a few opinions on how to pair speakers with amplifiers, but you have gone some way to reassure me that I won't be mismatching and ultimately damaging decent speakers!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...