Rough running van

bkwa1959

I know this is not Klipsch speaker related,but I have 2005 town and country van that is running rough,I have changed the plugs,plug wires,coil pack and did a clean of the air mass unit ,the sensor and other small sensor.The van is still running rough,I can smell gas,so I am pretty sure the fuel pump is working,does anyone the forum have any idea what it could be.I use the van to pickup Klipsch speakers,so it could be considered a Klipsch forum topic.

• Haha 1

Where does the gas smell come from? That could be your problem, lack of fuel or pressure. Did you change the fuel filter? It could be a bad ground connection, there are more grounds than just the battery. Does it run rough through the whole rev range? Does revving the engine help any? Do you have any check engine lights on? Most auto parts places (Autozone) will hook up a scanner to analyze what could be wrong. 

The fuel filter is in the gas tank and when my van started acting up,I got a code p0300 and with that code I could be a number of things,wires,replaced plugs,replaced,coil again replaced,then an auto zone person told me to try and clean the mass air unit and I cleaned it and still rough idle and now the code reads done.aThe van is running too rough to try and take it to auto zone,I am going to again check for vacuum leaks and if that is it I guess it could be fuel filter or bad injectors .The van has 165k miles on it.

man, that's a tough code to trace down - I found a Chrysler OBD code analysis for the p0300, that has quite a few options to check for the DIY guy, like, here's just a copy paste for your vac leak, if that's it... holar if you want the url...

NOTE: One possible way to identify vacuum leaks around an inlet manifold is to spray a NON-FLAMMABLE aerosol spray onto mating surfaces while the engine in running. Note however that this is not a foolproof method, but if the spray reaches the site of the leak, the way the engine idles will change as the leak is temporarily plugged with the spray. This method can also be used to identify leaks in cases where many vacuum hoses are arranged so closely together that it prevents easy inspection of each individual line or hose.

My van is running so bad that it does not want to idle and I have to really push the gas peddle to keep it running,I just returned from auto zone and they are telling me fuel pressure check and I plan on trying that tomorrow.They said it could be injectors,fuel pump or loose wires or vacuum leak.I have checked for vacuum leaks and I don't see any.

In Jan I changed the egr valve and alternator last week it started to misfire and since then I have completed a major tune up with plugs,wires,coil pack and removed and cleaned the mpair mass unit,sensor and throttle body,I have checked for bad hoses and I plan on today looking for bad grounds and again look at all the hoses.Thanks everyone for their input.I was lucky that the van acted up 1 mile from home.I was going to use the van to make a trip to Georgia to pickup a pair of KPT-684's.I had to use my Sienna van to make the trip and when I finished loading the speakers the van was full.

Cylinder misfires can come from a number of issues.  The first thing you need to do is isolate to a cylinder.  A P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire.  Chrysler dealerships can watch the misfires as it's happening and see exactly which ones are giving you issues.  Normally shot gunning and throwing parts at it won't help.  If you smell fuel then you may have one or more plugs that are not firing.  You need to be sure all coils have 12v with key on.  If you have a set of noid lights you need to check for coil pulse.  The coils have a constant 12v on one wire and the PCM pulses a ground to the coils to fire them.  If you need to call and discuss this just PM me and I'll give you my cell number.  I've been a service manager at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealership for over 21 years.