AV SHUTS OFF AT HIGH VOLUME

ROY777

Hello,

Recently ive been getting my new Klipsch rp-160m + rp-250c

I owned a Pioneer vsx 323k to power them up, but as I go above 60 in volume the av shuts off completely.

ive checked the wires (14ga) + the amp is not in a close cabin and its all seems OK to me. 

after 1-2 songs on high volume, AV just shuts off 😕

What can I do? are those the speakers asking for too much power from an entry level reciver?

The guy from the audio store told me on phone it is probably not the reason since Klipsch are efficient speakers and it sounds odd to him.

crossover point 100hz, set speakers to small. 80% of the time i listen to music

your advice pleaseee.

Thank you!

many modern digital avr's will do this if driven too hard.  they have a protection circuitry in them that will shut off the receiver if it gets too hot or too much of a load is on the amp.  i can make my onkyo 105wpc avr shut off on extreme loud listening sessions pushing efficient klipsch speakers or other brands not as efficient.  if you dont find any stray wires touching it could just be that youre asking for more than the receiver can provide without triping the protection circuitry.  or it could have a problem, if its new maybe return it or exchange it for another one or better model/brand. 

• Like 1

I had a set of RF-5's that did the exact same thing to the AVR I had at the time.  It drove me crazy.  One of the wires going across the spider would touch the frame but only under high excursion.  I moved it out of the way and never had another issue.

• Like 1

Thank you,

I have made some tests and I'd like to get your opinion.

1. only left speaker wired, i have listened to music over 30min on high vol (65/80max) - nothing went wrong. same goes for the RP-250C centre speaker. 

2. only right speaker wired(took the left speaker wire out) - speaker is working, when i turn the volume up it will take 2 min max and the AV will shut off.

3.i wanted to be sure (maybe the AV port itself was to blame) took the wires from the AV off and plugged it to right speaker channel (incl. the wire of the right speaker) - same result , 2 min top and the AV will shut off. again only on high volume

4. I wanted to be 1000% sure - called my friend who brought his DENON AVR-X3400H, and again same scenario.

what do you think? this is so irritating.

I have bought the pair on Ebay, seller says sometimes because of the rattles voice coil and other components can touch each other and make a short. he advised me to open the speaker back side and check it out, I really dont want to do this as i dont want to make it worse.

please help!!     

30 minutes ago, ROY777 said:

what do you think? this is so irritating.

I have bought the pair on Ebay, seller says sometimes because of the rattles voice coil and other components can touch each other and make a short. he advised me to open the speaker back side and check it out, I really dont want to do this as i dont want to make it worse.

Sounds exactly like the issue I had.  I'd open it up and look inside.  You can't make it worse and it's not working properly now.  It's probably something simple.  I wouldn't worry about advice given by the seller.  Pay close attention to the wires on the drivers themselves, especially the woofers.

I would remove the drivers from the front.  Be careful as they're heavier than they look.  The safest way is normally to lay the speaker on it's back.  There's less chance of damaging or dropping it that way.  Once you've removed the screws the driver may stick due to the gaskets adhesion to the cabinet.  You might need to carefully pry it up with something plastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I would remove the drivers from the front.  

Remove the driver from the front?

isnt it glued to the cabinet itself? 

i think the only way is to approach it from the back. there are no screws on the front. as much as i can see.

20181024_172836.jpg

Boy I'd be ticked. If I am understanding you if you plug this one speaker into either the left or right channel output of your AVR it cuts out?

Klipsch has made(or the Chinese without Klipsch's knowledge) have made an "engineering" change since the repair manual release where the woofer is not only screwed its glued.

These are brand new speakers? Or just new to you? Doesn't Ebay back up their sellers/buyers with some kind of warranty or resolution?

Hi, 

Those are new speakers,.

ebay does offer some kind of resolution but it takes time, and most probably ill have to send the speakers back.

Im trying to figure out maybe i can spare the hassle and solve this situation.

what do you mean by 'Chinese without Klipsch's knowledge' , RP line isn't manufactured in china?

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Boy I'd be ticked. If I am understanding you if you plug this one speaker into either the left or right channel output of your AVR it cuts out?

Klipsch has made(or the Chinese without Klipsch's knowledge) have made an "engineering" change since the repair manual release where the woofer is not only screwed its glued.

These are brand new speakers? Or just new to you? Doesn't Ebay back up their sellers/buyers with some kind of warranty or resolution?

On 10/23/2018 at 6:47 AM, sunburnwilly said:

Had a Pioneer Elite that did the same thing . Got on the phone with them and was talked through changing the impedance level from 8ohm to 6ohm . It worked

Not something you would find in the manual or setup program with my model but that was 10 years ago

Well the AV supposed to get to 6ohm without changing something, at lease that what the AV manual says - been checking on this too.