Remote control maintenance(?)

babadono

So I have a Marantz AVR, SR7007 I believe and the remote will not adjust the volume. It makes sense sort of because we are always turning the volume up and down,. I mean it is by far the button that gets used the most. So anybody successfully taken one apart and cleaned/fixed? Its a RC016SR.

I don't have that particular remote but I've taken other remotes and car keys apart when they stop working.  Normally you can clean the magnetic pads with a pencil eraser and then alcohol swab.  Some remotes are harder to get apart than others but eventually they all relent. 

I've had remote controllers crap out on me as well.  I have not had any luck in fixing/cleaning.

I replaced my Onkyo 717 remote with one from China for $7 shipped.  It works with most of the features but several of the buttons were simply left off!  What I'm saying is if you find a cheap Chinese replacement, look very carefully to make sure it is exactly the same.

The universal remotes like the Logitech 650 for $38 is a pretty good replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Infrared-Universal-Programmable/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540233844&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+remote+650

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't have that particular remote but I've taken other remotes and car keys apart when they stop working.  Normally you can clean the magnetic pads with a pencil eraser and then alcohol swab.  Some remotes are harder to get apart than others but eventually they all relent. 

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've had remote controllers crap out on me as well.  I have not had any luck in fixing/cleaning.

I replaced my Onkyo 717 remote with one from China for $7 shipped.  It works with most of the features but several of the buttons were simply left off!  What I'm saying is if you find a cheap Chinese replacement, look very carefully to make sure it is exactly the same.

The universal remotes like the Logitech 650 for $38 is a pretty good replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Infrared-Universal-Programmable/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540233844&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+remote+650

Ah yes they relent but do they go back together? And work?:)

I've already got a Logitech but it doesn't work with the smoked glass doors shut:sad: The marantz doesn't work all the time with the doors shut either.

Funny you mention eating chips---Got it opened up and curiously on the volume up and down buttons and the contact pads on the circuit board there was pools of oil or something. Don't know if pictures show it I think I started cleaning before taking. Snapped it back together and I'll try it out tonight

P1010347.jpg

P1010348.jpg

P1010350.jpg

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

@CECAA850 the traces on board seem like carbon or some such. You clean those with a pencil eraser?

The things I normally clean are the buttons and contacts.  The buttons are normally black and are made of some sort of conductive material.  The contact area on the PC normally looks like several stacked parallel lines.  I clean them both the same way.