crossovers AL versus the others

Reggie1349

Of the three types mentioned, the AA, AL and AL-3, the AA is the oldest design and very popular even today.  The AL is not considered by most to be a good crossover.  It is overly complex and as they age, develop bad solder joints and are rather notorious for blowing tweeters because of bad connections.  The AL-3 addressed the voicing problems of the previous AL and AL-2 and is considered by most to be a good crossover.

Bob Crites

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dave A said:

Bob,

What causes solder joints to go bad? I have seen plenty that were not good but they had continuity.

We used to discuss this a lot back in the olden days concerning the AL crossovers.  Forum Member DJK has a lot of hands on experience with those.  Here is what he said is usually the cause of the AL blowing tweeters.  I think he suggested in another post that the iron the factory used was too small for some of the joints on the AL.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BEC said:

think he suggested in another post that the iron the factory used was too small for some of the joints on the AL.

That I can believe as a lot of those joints show incomplete solder flow. It is one of the biggest problems in Tig welding too for beginners or those who just don't have the aptitude for welding. Not enough heat causes just as many problems as too much heat.

From my experience too hot a tip  can be compensated with reduced contact time. Too low just results in cooking the components. 

I use three irons with building. A 40 watt for the big stuff, a 25 watt for normal, and a 12 watt for the delicate items. 

Always use Kester 63/37 for everything.

• Like 2