K402 TAD4002 and Peavey FH1 active blend

Delicious2

Initial quick and dirty setup of this blend with the amps and settings on the Xilica for the BMS driver and the Khorn bass bin got me thinking I like the speakers closer together and more at ear level. 

I’ll be measuring soon however since settings made for one blend and used on another sound like shiite 😝 especially the bass 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Does anyone have an opinion about rotating 90 degrees the K-402 horn so that it sits on its narrower side?

For what it's worth ... Have my 510 horns rotated 90 degrees and cannot tell the difference.  But, would like to hear some opinions on the "turned" 402 also since this is the only way I can make them fit in my setup :D 

• Like 1

Had a few hours last night for setup.  A new Xilica 8080 got hooked up with RCA to bare-wire connections for 2 inputs and 4 outputs.  I just hooked the bare wires to the + and ground on the Phoenix blocks.  Amps are some old Marantz SS monoblocks (MA500 and MA700s) I've had forever.  It worked with some mods in software to the previously saved config file for the K402, BMS 4592 and Khorn bass bin blend, but, it was very noisy.  I saw on a youtube video that I should jumper the ground to - connection on each input/output on the Phoenix block.  Would that quiet things down?  The Xilica connections with a 4080 and XLR to RCA adapters is very quiet.

I would say that on the Xilica INPUTS you definitely have to short the RCA shield(ground) to both the -(minus) input AND the ground.

On the Xilica OUTPUTs it won't hurt to tie them together but you don't have to. The OPTIMUM way is to tie the minus and ground together at the RCA end but that requires a twisted pair cable with a shield.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:46 PM, Emile said:

For what it's worth ... Have my 510 horns rotated 90 degrees and cannot tell the difference.  But, would like to hear some opinions on the "turned" 402 also since this is the only way I can make them fit in my setup :D 

I was also thinking of running mine this way, but doesn't it raise the center much higher than if they are run the other way...or do you angle them downward?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellisr63 said:

I was also thinking of running mine this way, but doesn't it raise the center much higher than I'd the are run the other way...or do you angle them downward?

No; straight forward ... they are in a seperate box I build for them ... more than 5 ft high ... wide side of the horn (of course) is up/down; dispersion is "very wide" so don't think angling is necessary.

Cheers, Emile

• Thanks 1

On the noise front, I've switched, outlets, cables and even amps to try to quiet things down.  I think it's mostly my older SS marantz monoblocks. These big horns and sensitive CDs magnify everything.  Interestingly, after 2 rounds of ChrisA's tuning of the Xilica based on REW sweep measurement files I sent him it seems much quieter. 

Chris' work has dialed in the K402/TAD such that I'm now starting to hear what folks rave about.  We're working on getting the voicing of the new blend more in line with my recent K402 BMS 4592 Khorn blend.  The Peavey FH-1 doesn't seem to be right yet as the whole effect is bass shy.

22 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

On the noise front, I've switched, outlets, cables and even amps to try to quiet things down.  I think it's mostly my older SS marantz monoblocks. These big horns and sensitive CDs magnify everything.  Interestingly, after 2 rounds of ChrisA's tuning of the Xilica based on REW sweep measurement files I sent him it seems much quieter. 

Chris' work has dialed in the K402/TAD such that I'm now starting to hear what folks rave about.  We're working on getting the voicing of the new blend more in line with my recent K402 BMS 4592 Khorn blend.  The Peavey FH-1 doesn't seem to be right yet as the whole effect is bass shy.

A LaScala is a 104 Hz. horn. The Peavey is a 90 Hz. Horn, and it flatter in response. With a K33 inside both, they resonate in a sealed box in a very tight corner below horn cutoff, but at a much lower amplitude. In fact, when I had FH-1's in my small basement office, I was surprised to find output down to 30 hz. based on the cabin gain interacting with the non-horn portion of the output. As for the Horn portion, they are ALL bass shy, including the Khorn and Jubillee if your goal is flat to 20 Hz., which ALL of them need help with using a Subwoofer as a solution.

4 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

These may be the third choice woofer I was referring to above. I borrowed the link from a recent post by

@jimjimbo          "Eminence Kappa 15C.  Their performance in the upper and mid bass area is stellar."

https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-15c-15-driver-4-ohm--290-459

You are correct.  I personally prefer these to both the K33 or the Crites 1526, and I have installed, tested and listened to all three.

• Thanks 2

jumpering the Phoenix side from ground to minus seemed to help and Chris' tuning definitely helped but I'm not satisfied yet.  If I swap out the amps and swap with the non-phoenix Xilica - the 4080 - I should narrow it down to the most noisy part.  I'd like it to be at least as quiet as my K402/BMS/Khorn blend which isn't silent but is much quieter.

I swapped 8080 to low watt amps then 4080 reconfigured from tr-amp to bi-amp output also to low watt amps looking for the quietest config.  Nothing conclusive yet.  Is there an ideal input level for the Xilicas?  and why does my 4080 light up its level indicator green lights at loud levels but the 8080 doesn't from the same input even louder?

5 minutes ago, Delicious2 said:

I swapped 8080 to low watt amps then 4080 reconfigured from tr-amp to bi-amp output also to low watt amps looking for the quietest config.  Nothing conclusive yet.  Is there an ideal input level for the Xilicas?  and why does my 4080 light up its level indicator green lights at loud levels but the 8080 doesn't from the same input even louder?

Both the 4080 and 8080 are XP? If so they are identical just with more parts stuffed in the case of the 8080 and the I/O connectors. So if they are doing different things with the same input then the set up of the units must be different OR you are wiring them differently even though you may think you are not.

1 hour ago, Delicious2 said:

why does my 4080 light up its level indicator green lights at loud levels but the 8080 doesn't from the same input even louder?

Change the "Limit" settings to 20dBu for all channels and that might clear up.

Chris

thanks Chris I'll try that.  Still wondering though,  is the Xilica like some other A/D devices where too low of an input level truncates some bit depth (and decreases fidelity?).  What if we put a line level(s) into the Xilicas and controlled the volume afterward before the amps?  Perhaps I just don't understand how they work.