K402 TAD4002 and Peavey FH1 active blend

Delicious2

23 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

That is a good one also. Just make sure your cross at 80-100 Hz. to your subwoofer. Max woofer excursion in that short horn occurs at 80 Hz. regardless of which driver from the useable list,  but the Xmax and power handling of the Crites should get you to 125 db before you run out! You will like that short horn, it's one of the best and one of the cheapest.

I forgot to mention that the 1526C it also has about 1.5-2 db more output than a K33 at 400 Hz. not as much as a 15C, but very close while retaining the "fatter" bottom end of K33, so you can't go wrong with that.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, babadono said:

The Xilica is a full 24 bit A/D and D/A processor. It does not truncate bit depth dependent on level. 0dbFS on them is +20 dBu. Remember these are made mostly for live sound speaker management where signals are very dynamic. In my home setup I still like to add input and output gain to mine to utilize more of their dynamic range. And make the meters dance a little:)

With the tremendous "acoustic gain" of horns, relative to the lack thereof in direct radiators, you need volume controls on power amps (tuning down the front end sensitivity to compensate). This helps to maintain a sufficiently high operating VOLTAGE range from you input source to the Xilica, or any other device to maintain the best signal to noise ratio (and/or keeping things in the higher bits as much as possible).

10 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

Thanks for the guidance on drivers for the FH-1s.  I ordered a coupla 15c from PE.  Chris suspects a polarity issue is effecting our measurements so we're working on that.

I'm glad you are using the term POLARITY, which is so often called Phase, which is 2 different specific things............polarity being strictly and specifically a 180 degree in or out of phase but only for that angle situation affect both, relatively speaking.

• 1 year later...

While on the topic of FH-1s, which I recently acquired, how does the original Peavey BW 1504 compare to the above mentioned drivers?

My FH1s came with the original 1504 driver but I sure would like to know if it's worth replacing it, for better performance! The 1504 looks like a well made 15"

Herman

16 hours ago, noviygera said:

While on the topic of FH-1s, which I recently acquired, how does the original Peavey BW 1504 compare to the above mentioned drivers?

My FH1s came with the original 1504 driver but I sure would like to know if it's worth replacing it, for better performance! The 1504 looks like a well made 15"

Herman

The 1504-4s are crude and tough, handling 400 watts.  Below ~100 Hz, the harmonic distortion exceeds the fundamental.  K-33s and K-43s are good choices.  A JBL 2226H would be a good $$$ choice. 

>>The 1504-4s are crude and tough

Meaning, the fidelity is suffering?

I'm using my FH1s from 70-250hz.  I added a bit of felt damping sheets to the doghouse -- it had no damping at all.

Is the JBL 2226H a significant improvement over the Peavey driver in terms of fidelity in home use? Seriously considering to try other woofers but not for the sake of trying. The other woofers mentioned here -- what improvement do they bring over the stock 1504 driver? 

Edited by noviygera
added question
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, let’s bring this one back to life

The stock Peavey drivers are without a doubt unbearable once you put in almost anything else. I have tried FH1s with K-33s, K-43s and my favourite - Kappa 15Cs. I wouldn’t even call the Black Widows low fidelity, more like NO fidelity. 

Would really like to hear them with Faital Pro 15PR400s...

I tried to put Crites cast frame woofers in but the gasket is so thick on them the doghouse bolts weren’t long enough to attach the nuts.

@noviygera what effect did the (felt) damping have on the doghouse?

I have seen the Klipsch video of them adding damping to the new LaScala, but I have not gotten any quantitative responses to my other queries about it. How much and where for optimum effect?

On 1/19/2020 at 1:26 PM, geoff. said:

Ok, let’s bring this one back to life

The stock Peavey drivers are without a doubt unbearable once you put in almost anything else. I have tried FH1s with K-33s, K-43s and my favourite - Kappa 15Cs. I wouldn’t even call the Black Widows low fidelity, more like NO fidelity. 

Would really like to hear them with Faital Pro 15PR400s...

I tried to put Crites cast frame woofers in but the gasket is so thick on them the doghouse bolts weren’t long enough to attach the nuts.

@noviygera what effect did the (felt) damping have on the doghouse?

I have seen the Klipsch video of them adding damping to the new LaScala, but I have not gotten any quantitative responses to my other queries about it. How much and where for optimum effect?

Gotta find time to get the 15cs installed.  I'm curious about damping the doghouse too.  Link to Klipsch video?  I watched 2 but didn't see damping.

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

It’s at about 2:55 in the youtube video “biulding the klipsch lascala al5”

wow, that is quick.  Looks like foam stuffing rather than any kind of panel damping.  Just stuffed in there behind driver?  Not attached to anything.  While I have my FH1s apart I'd like to do any easy/prudent stuffing/damping/tweaking

I am in the same boat. Putting a new pair of Kappa 15Cs back in my FH1s after giving K-33s a second chance.

Would love to hear some comments about the effect of the foam.

But one thing is certain, if Klipsch is paying for it, it has to have some merit sonically. I would guess more than a dimes worth of difference.

You guys need to be more systematic in your approach. 

1) Look at the volume of the cabinet

2) Look at the VAS for the klipsch driver in question

3) Look at the VAS for the Kappa driver.

Again, this an issue of design and not "try it and listen". That does not come until later. Hopefully, there will be some measurement in between.

Good luck,

-Tom

Oh man... more homework, can’t someone just tell us the answers, lol!

And the learning curve grows!

Thanks Tom.

Still can’t get a straight answer on the acoustic foam though.

A- Reduces internal reflections?

B- Reduces resonance?

C- Lowers frequency response?

D-  Provides the Chinese with a market for recycled plastic that would otherwise wind up as an island? 

E- All of the above?

Geoff you are asking a reasonable question. Unfortunately too much folklore is involved.

If the crossover frequency is around 500 Hz (I forget the exact number). The wavelength is 2 ft and longer. A bit of foam in the back does very little. So lets get the notion that it is absorbing the back wave  off the table. What the foam or pressed fiberglass does is effectively "make the volume of the cabinet seem a bit larger". This where the VAS comes into play. When building JBL cabinets, the rule of thumb is that 1 inch lining will "create" a cabinet that is about 10% larger. 

So does your Kappa driver need to see "more volume". Adding foam can make a difference, does the cabinet design need It? If one wanted to be methodical, you could always do a before-and-after measure. Unfortunately, many on the forum do not start with a design based on goals. Yes, homework is involved.

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1