NAS video streaming to (older) TV

Emile

Hoping to catch some advise from the smart guys here :D 

Have a NAS server (QNAP 252) with music, movies, etc.  Works perfectly with my newer smart TV's ... direct DLNA access to all the files and all audio/video streams perfectly.

But ... have an (older) Panasonic Viera Plasma TV in my living room ... when I try to access the NAS, it first takes several minutes before it even finds the NAS ... then much longer to load audio files ... and usually "NO" video files. (And of course my AVR (Onkyo TX-ZR810) "only" streams music; no video. Yes; no problem turning on a portable and shooting it to Chromecast, then to TV (via AVR). But ... it's a pain in the neck.  Plus, love my plasma TV; not ready to replace it (yet). :) 

So; is there an easy way to stream video "directly" to my TV?  Chromecast direct doesn't work since it is only a "receiver." Tried Roku ... same.  Tried my Sony 4K BluRay player, but it doesn't see the NAS.  Any "easy" box to add which will enable direct NAS access?

Many thanks, Emile 

add-on ... know there possibly are some software ways to do this, but prefer the "hardware route." :D 

4 minutes ago, tromprof said:

An old computer with HDMI output

Haha ... thanks ... yes, have one of those hooked up to my AVR ... works great. Problem is I just don't feel like "starting the PC" next "finding the file" etc :(  Was hoping for a solution with "just" a remote control :D 

If you have your files organized in a program like JRiver and a wireless keyboard it is super easy and quick. 

All of my systems (6?) are setup this way. I think the oldest computer is a gen 1 i5 processor and it does this quickly and easily.

All of my files (audio and video, over 30,000 files) are also on a QNAP NAS.

• Thanks 1

I would try an AppleTv 4k. I have one of them also, and I'm streaming everithing from my NAS.

And you can select the screen resolution u want. I tryed once to hook it up on my old FHD TV in Bedroom and worked well.

You will just need an app like Infuse.

• Like 1