R-115 Movies vs. Music

bozzchem

20 hours ago, nitrofan said:

Could it be that you have your sub set to play lfe only? There is a lot of itin most movies but none or very little in most music

That is a very interesting question.

My Onkyo manual states the following in the Troubleshooting section:

■■The subwoofer produces no sound
• When you play source material that contains no
information in the LFE channel, the subwoofer produces
no sound.
• Make sure the speakers are configured correctly.

I have the sub out of my AVR going to the LFE input of the R-115.  I'm not quite sure of another way to connect them.

Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to tinker.

21 hours ago, nitrofan said:

Could it be that you have your sub set to play lfe only? There is a lot of itin most movies but none or very little in most music

I really think you may have solved this.

I received my R-51PM speakers today.  They are for my workout room and replace "The Three" that I returned.  Once they were up and running, I was even less impressed with these than with "The Three".  I actually think "The Three" sounds better.  IMHO, neither is worth $500...  At least the R-51PM's have a sub out so I could dust off and use my KSW-15.

When the sub out of the R-51PM's were connected to the LFE input of the KSW-15, it barely moved and was unimpressive. 

Thanks to your post, I changed from the LFE input to the standard L/R input of the sub (I tried both the L and the R).  Wow!!!  Night and day difference!  I had to drop the level on the sub after doing so.  The R-51PM's combined with the KSW-15 sound PHENOMENAL.  It's deceptively loud because the music is so clear at high volume that you have to shout over it to be heard yet there is no distortion.  THIS combo sounds like a Klipsch system.

I'm guessing once I do the same with the R-115, I'll see the same response difference in my Living Room for listening to music.  It will probably be tomorrow or Sat before I can test it but based on tonight's experiment, I believe you may well have nailed the issue.

Question.  Would it make a difference to buy a Y splitter so the single sub out goes into both the L and R inputs or is it OK to just go into either given that bass it typically mono?  I wish I had a Y splitter to experiment with but don't.

5 minutes ago, nitrofan said:

It will give you more gain but will not change the maximum output of your sub

I don't need more output from the sub.  I've cleaned up enough debris when it's connected to LFE.

My thought was to ensure any <120Hz signals from either channel reaches the sub.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, dtr20 said:

Not that I know anything about your receiver, but in general, a lot of receivers turn off the sub when listening in stereo mode.

Also most newer Denon and Marantz receivers have an entire separate set of settings for 2-channel.  You can choose to do whatever you want with it.  If the bass is boosted 10 db on multichannel and it's flat on 2 channel, yeah it will be on but he would complain in this same way.